Tigers close to signing Benoit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tigers close to signing Benoit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tigers close to signing Benoit

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Sign Soriano for $10M+/yr, get 1.6 WAR. Sign Benoit for $5M/yr, get 1.5 WAR. Pretty simple. Relief pitchers are extremely overpaid, but closers to a much greater extent, so the value is in middle relievers. Spending >10% of your budget on somebody that will pitch in 5% of your innings is not a wise move.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Developing your own relievers is the way to go. You'd generally like to avoid spending this much on one of them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeah, that's the ideal route. Judging by how many horrible starters turn into good relievers, there's not a real good reason to spend a lot on them. I've read that the Jays are one of the top contenders for Soriano, but I REALLY hope that isn't true. I wouldn't mind Putz though, if he's cheap.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby dAnzac » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am

Grounded Polo wrote:This will totally put Detroit over the top, World Series champs next year, book it.

AHAHAHA

made me laugh (and wasn't a canned joke)

raiders_umpire wrote:Benoit will be bringing the Rays their first of many supplemental draft picks in the 2011 draft. :,-(

ChadQuallsChadQuallsChadQuallsChadQualls ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am

mweir145 wrote:Developing your own relievers is the way to go. You'd generally like to avoid spending this much on one of them.

this...but if Illitch is willing to blow that kind of dough on an RP i'm guessing it's not stopping him from spending elsewhere...alledgedly they are in serious talks with Dunn
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am

Skin Blues wrote:Sign Soriano for $10M+/yr, get 1.6 WAR. Sign Benoit for $5M/yr, get 1.5 WAR. Pretty simple. Relief pitchers are extremely overpaid, but closers to a much greater extent, so the value is in middle relievers. Spending >10% of your budget on somebody that will pitch in 5% of your innings is not a wise move.

You can throw last year's WAR out there all you want, but on a three year contract for this much money, you're expecting a LOT from Benoit...just doesn't seem like a wise use of money when the Tigers have other holes to fill. Like Mweir said, it would make more sense to develop your own guys to fill out your bullpen. Just my opinion...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Sign Soriano for $10M+/yr, get 1.6 WAR. Sign Benoit for $5M/yr, get 1.5 WAR. Pretty simple. Relief pitchers are extremely overpaid, but closers to a much greater extent, so the value is in middle relievers. Spending >10% of your budget on somebody that will pitch in 5% of your innings is not a wise move.

You can throw last year's WAR out there all you want, but on a three year contract for this much money, you're expecting a LOT from Benoit...just doesn't seem like a wise use of money when the Tigers have other holes to fill. Like Mweir said, it would make more sense to develop your own guys to fill out your bullpen. Just my opinion...

Zumaya and Perry have been unreliable. Schlereth will be our lefty this year and it looks like Coke might move into the rotation. It's not that we haven't been developing our own guys, it's that they either haven't worked out (Perry) or are made of paper (Zumaya). I assumed we would make at least one bullpen signing this offseason and with Benoit's peripherals I am pretty satisfied. Too much money? Yeah, probably, but Detroit usually has to overpay anyways.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 pm

In recent years, the priority on finding useful setup guys has been what has driven the market for their prices. One good year turns into a reliever getting rewarded with a 3 year deal, like Shields in LA, Brandon Lyons in Houston, Chad Bradford for 3 years back in 2007, Kyle Farnsworth in 2008. I mean, what it looks like to me is that teams are willing to gamble on relievers with extra years because of the huge benefit they reap if it does pan out, where a seemingly small investment can cover up a shortage of quality starters, which is where teams can very easily cripple their finances if someone doesn't pan out. At the very least, Benoit has shown he can handle the pressure of being an 8th inning guy, and since his contract overlaps Valverde's for a year, he may be able ot step in in 2012 and be their closer for what would then be cheap closer money....but just a hypothesis...
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

thomasps3 wrote:In recent years, the priority on finding useful setup guys has been what has driven the market for their prices. One good year turns into a reliever getting rewarded with a 3 year deal, like Shields in LA, Brandon Lyons in Houston, Chad Bradford for 3 years back in 2007, Kyle Farnsworth in 2008. I mean, what it looks like to me is that teams are willing to gamble on relievers with extra years because of the huge benefit they reap if it does pan out, where a seemingly small investment can cover up a shortage of quality starters, which is where teams can very easily cripple their finances if someone doesn't pan out. At the very least, Benoit has shown he can handle the pressure of being an 8th inning guy, and since his contract overlaps Valverde's for a year, he may be able ot step in in 2012 and be their closer for what would then be cheap closer money....but just a hypothesis...

I totally agree that this is their strategy.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MTUCache » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Zumaya and Perry have been unreliable. Schlereth will be our lefty this year and it looks like Coke might move into the rotation. It's not that we haven't been developing our own guys, it's that they either haven't worked out (Perry) or are made of paper (Zumaya). I assumed we would make at least one bullpen signing this offseason and with Benoit's peripherals I am pretty satisfied. Too much money? Yeah, probably, but Detroit usually has to overpay anyways.

My sentiments exactly... they've tried to develop a handful of young guys who haven't panned out recently for all of their bullpen roles (Figaro, Ni, Perry, and of course Zumaya), they've got some guys up-and-coming that they're hopeful about (Schlereth, Turner, Weinhardt), but none of these guys has a concrete role in the bullpen. Nobody is proven, nobody can be trusted, although they've all shown flashes of brilliance at one point or another.

If Leyland has shown nothing else, it's that his high sense of loyalty to his favorite players pegs them in roles for FAR longer than they sometimes deserve. He's not all that interested in mixing-and-matching during the season and letting these guys compete for their spots after the season starts. Whether it was Jones/Rodney or now Valverde/Benoit, he's going to stick to the formula until it's obvious to everyone that it doesn't work. The rest of these guys can all compete for the situational gigs and the 6th/7th innings, and if Zumaya does make it back for a while he can shore things up a bit.

I look at this as a bit of evidence that they're focusing on the present now, rather than the future. If they were satisfied with another building year they would have given all these kids another chance to win this job for themselves.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers