Heroic Dog Mistakenly Put Down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Heroic Dog Mistakenly Put Down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Heroic Dog Mistakenly Put Down

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:58 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:You normally like it when people pee on your shoe? :-? :-? :-?

No, but I'm sure the average dog owner thinks their dog pissing on my shoes is a good sign it likes me.

I don't know anyone who would think that.

I was exaggerating, but I know many an inconsiderate dog owner.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
No, but I'm sure the average dog owner thinks their dog pissing on my shoes is a good sign it likes me.

I don't know anyone who would think that.

I was exaggerating, but I know many an inconsiderate dog owner.

I know exactly what you mean, I hate when people don't keep their dogs in line. I have a friend who's dogs are absolutely unruly, it just sucks going to their house because the dogs are all over you until they calm down. He'll say "down" or "off" at least 50 times in 5 minutes. I don't get it. I'm a dog owner myself and my dog doesn't act like that....well she used to, when she was like a year old before I trained her not to act like that. He's said to me "man, you got lucky, your dog minds really well," and I'm always like, dude they don't come like that. :-b

Anyway, the owners are mostly to blame in this situation. How anyone could own a dog and not spend $20 bucks to put a damn collar with a phone number on it is beyond me. :-S
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:47 am

Well you can't categorize all dogs based on the limited experience you've had with them. Even dogs of the same breed can be very different. My dog's breed has a history of doing things that I'd consider heroic behavior. Though I'm not certain my own dog would or could do such things. And you can only influence any dog via training to a certain degree.

How are you supposed to describe a dog's individual behavior characteristics without using such terms?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:How are you supposed to describe a dog's individual behavior characteristics without using such terms?

Not sure if this is directed at me, but my problem with calling this dog a hero is that it implies that the dog understands and knows the difference between right and wrong and good and bad. The dog knew that the base is where he ate and slept and that the people there gave him food and positive attention. He alerted on the attacker because he was a stranger, not because he was coming in to kill people. If that dog would have been rescued by Taliban fighters, he would have reacted the same way if an American soldier tried to enter their base, or cave, or whatever. He was simply being a dog, and that resulted in a positive outcome for his owners. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but I don't understand why that's not enough for the kind of people who feel the need to project some quality that doesn't exist onto the dog. It's no more or less sad to me that this dog was accidently put down than if any other decent dog on earth was accidently put down.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:You normally like it when people pee on your shoe? :-? :-? :-?

Just to clear the air, that's the sign of a dog that needs to be trained.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Well you can't categorize all dogs based on the limited experience you've had with them. Even dogs of the same breed can be very different. My dog's breed has a history of doing things that I'd consider heroic behavior. Though I'm not certain my own dog would or could do such things. And you can only influence any dog via training to a certain degree.

How are you supposed to describe a dog's individual behavior characteristics without using such terms?

Art pretty much summed up my thoughts with your question there.

Personally, I never liked dogs and I probably wouldn't own one by my own volition. At least half of my family and friends have dogs and some just don't quite understand that just because they feel they have enough control over them to behave well in most circumstances, doesn't mean they will in all circumstances. It peeves me to think people will bring their dogs to outdoor shopping centers and even, cemeteries. They can't assure that their dogs will be just as sociable in a more public place as they are at home or with people they're familiar with.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:How are you supposed to describe a dog's individual behavior characteristics without using such terms?

Not sure if this is directed at me, but my problem with calling this dog a hero is that it implies that the dog understands and knows the difference between right and wrong and good and bad. The dog knew that the base is where he ate and slept and that the people there gave him food and positive attention. He alerted on the attacker because he was a stranger, not because he was coming in to kill people. If that dog would have been rescued by Taliban fighters, he would have reacted the same way if an American soldier tried to enter their base, or cave, or whatever. He was simply being a dog, and that resulted in a positive outcome for his owners. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but I don't understand why that's not enough for the kind of people who feel the need to project some quality that doesn't exist onto the dog. It's no more or less sad to me that this dog was accidently put down than if any other decent dog on earth was accidently put down.

I didn't quote anyone because it wasn't meant to be directed at just you. I understand what you're saying here and I don't necessarily disagree with it. My post was more in defense of dogs in general and not just Target.

Basically I like dogs A LOT. Deciding to put down a dog as anything other than the last resort is going to upset me a great deal. In this particular incident that feeling is multiplied because what I consider a great dog was needlessly killed when he had a loving family that wanted him back.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:24 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Deciding to put down a dog as anything other than the last resort is going to upset me a great deal. In this particular incident that feeling is multiplied because what I consider a great dog was needlessly killed when he had a loving family that wanted him back.

I understand that, and agree for the most part, but I guess my issue is with the way this story is being portrayed and I suppose the very fact that it has become a national story. Millions of dogs are put down each year in the US. How many of them do you think are put down by mistake or have families out there looking for them but never able to find them because they aren't tagged or whatever? I'd bet tens--if not hundreds--of thousands. But this one has become a national phenomenon because this dog was a "hero." Instead of being about a mistake made by a shelter, this story should be about irresponsible dog owners.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 am

Art Vandelay wrote:this story should be about irresponsible dog owners.

quoted for truth.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk