Halladay wins NL Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Halladay wins NL Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Halladay wins NL Cy Young

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Roy Halladay was given the 2010 National League Cy Young Award.

Halladay was the unanimous choice, and rightly so. He posted a fantastic 21-10 record, 2.44 ERA and 1.04 WHIP over 33 starts in 2010 while striking out 219 batters and walking only 30. Roy also pitched a perfect game in late May -- the first of his career and the 20th in MLB history. Adam Wainwright finished second in the Cy voting and Ubaldo Jimenez finished third.
Source: Matt Gelb on Twitter

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Halladay wins NL Cy Young

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Ubaldo will rise again!

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Remember when I said that Halladay would dominate outside the AL East against inferior competition? And when I said that Ubaldo would regress because of an unsustainable BABIP?

And then they did. :-]
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 pm

mweir145 wrote:Remember when I said that Halladay would dominate outside the AL East against inferior competition? And when I said that Ubaldo would regress because of an unsustainable BABIP?

except he really wasn't all that much better than he has been the last few years so it's hard to call it dominating against inferior competition.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:54 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Remember when I said that Halladay would dominate outside the AL East against inferior competition? And when I said that Ubaldo would regress because of an unsustainable BABIP?

except he really wasn't all that much better than he has been the last few years so it's hard to call it dominating against inferior competition.

Halladay 2009: 2.79 ERA, 3.06 FIP, 3.05 xFIP, 3.42 tERA, 3.09 SIERA, .770 Opponent OPS
Halladay 2010: 2.44 ERA, 3.01 FIP, 2.92 xFIP, 3.35 tERA, 2.93 SIERA .711 Opponent OPS

I do think you're right actually. 2009 was the more impressive year when you consider his opponents.

Domination is domination, though. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:58 pm

mweir145 wrote:Domination is domination, though. :-D

can't disagree with you there. he's pretty darn good at pitching.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:And when I said that Ubaldo would regress because of an unsustainable BABIP?

Did you even read any of the replies in that thread, or do you just read the posts you make? Just about EVERYONE said he'd regress. But when that thread was made, he was pitching best up to that point.

And according to your numbers, using the Holy Grail of xFIP, Halladay only improved his xFIP by about 4% while facing opponents who were roughly 8% worse. The weak NL competition dominated him. Cy should have gone to Timmy.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
mweir145 wrote:And when I said that Ubaldo would regress because of an unsustainable BABIP?

Did you even read any of the replies in that thread, or do you just read the posts you make? Just about EVERYONE said he'd regress. But when that thread was made, he was pitching best up to that point.

He was pitching well, but it's more like he had the benefit of the most BABIP luck to that point.

And I specifically remember people saying that the normal rules of regression wouldn't apply to Ubaldo (compared to guys like Jaime Garcia) because of his incredible talents.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

He was pitching well, but it's more like he had the benefit of the most BABIP luck to that point.

And I specifically remember people saying that the normal rules of regression wouldn't apply to Ubaldo (compared to guys like Jaime Garcia) because of his incredible talents.

Actually, now that you mention it, you're right. There was someone saying something about how he had seen all of Ubaldo's starts and he wasn't gettting lucky, but people weren't making good contact. Everyone else figured he'd regress, though.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm

The thread: viewtopic.php?t=413751&hilit=BABIP&start=360

I like when I called Bautista a MVP candidate back at the end of June in response to your statement. That may have been a joke at the time, but I'll take credit for it now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers