2010 recap, 2011 preview. *short* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2010 recap, 2011 preview. *short*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2010 recap, 2011 preview. *short*

Postby Fenway Punk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Y'know, if you took Carlos Gonzalez where I took him in all of my drafts, (rd.9) it was considered a reach. Now, I'm having a hard time projecting exactly where in the first round he should be grabbed in 2011. Not to mention how to rank Braun and Hamilton. One could make a strong arguement that any one of those guys should be the top ranked OF next year. Ah well, we have plenty of time to argue about it, don't we?

As suspected, 1B was the deepest well of production in 2010, and will again be in 2011. Problem is, you won't get sweet values like a Rd. 2 Miggy or a Rd. 3 Votto. Hell, you won't even get the super sweet value of a Rd. 16 Konerko. Votto is currently projecting to crack the top 12 next year. And Miggy? He'll probably go right after Pujols. After a big year, Konerko probably won't fall past round 5 or 6, depending on where he ends up. No thanks.

Robinson Cano. In my 2010 draft strategy post, I told you it would be wise to grab him in Rd. 4. Hopefully you read it, and hopefully you did. O:-) Now he's looking like he's gonna crack the first round. Here's a fun preview of a debate that you will definately hear more than once but heard it here first : Cano vs. Utley Who goes first in 2011?

Matt Wieters. I took him 3rd overall in my second year keeper draft to a bally of "you *profane* whatever" or "great pick." Yeah, great pick.... FOR ME TO POOP ON! (where is truimph? that guy is awesome. hurry back conan) Wieters certainly didn't live up to the hype, again... but to label him a bust this early in his young career wouldn't be a wise move. The kid is playing the hardest position there is, and once again showed late life. With two years under his belt, a players coach, and a price tag that should fall outside of round 12, I'm saying Weiters is definately worth a third chance.

Pitchers. 2010 was easily "the year of the pitcher" since it also happened to be "the year where players no longer have amphetemines at there disposal." By the all star break, there where more than 10 guys who had era's south of 2.50. So what does that mean for next year? Should pitchers be valued higher now? No. With all of the pitching available, hitting is and always has been what you want to go after first. I

Just wanted to touch base with you guys, and of course toot my own horn for the success of my 2010 Winning Draft Strategy post. :-D I will most definately give you guys a 2011 winning draft strategy guide/post/whatever, and you should look for it right around Feb 1. ;-D
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010 recap, 2011 preview. *short*

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Fenway Punk wrote:As suspected, 1B was the deepest well of production in 2010, and will again be in 2011. Problem is, you won't get sweet values like a Rd. 2 Miggy or a Rd. 3 Votto. Hell, you won't even get the super sweet value of a Rd. 16 Konerko. Votto is currently projecting to crack the top 12 next year. And Miggy? He'll probably go right after Pujols. After a big year, Konerko probably won't fall past round 5 or 6, depending on where he ends up. No thanks.

There will always be sweet values, its just pegging the right guy. Maybe this is the year Butler breaks out with 30+ HRs or an injured slugger falls late (Morneau, Youk, Morales).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Fielder should fall out of the 1st round, and he's a player I'd definitely target for a comeback season. He seems to alternate between 35 homer seasons and 50 homer seasons.

Definitely a lot of great pitching value next year. I definitely want to draft Max Scherzer on all my teams next year. His second half looked great. Hopefully Bumgarner won't shoot up the draft boards, as I want him late too.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:34 pm

And if I had to guess the 1st round...

1. Pujols
2. MCab
3. Hanley
4. Votto
5. Tulo
6. Cano
7. Braun
8. Utley
9. Longoria
10. CarGo
11. Hamilton
12. Crawford

Right on the cusp of this would be Wright, Halladay, Fielder, Teix, Howard, Wainwright, Felix, and Lincecum. Like last year, it wouldn't shock me at all if the 2nd round out-produced the 1st round.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Dude...Conan's been back!
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Tavish wrote:
Fenway Punk wrote:As suspected, 1B was the deepest well of production in 2010, and will again be in 2011. Problem is, you won't get sweet values like a Rd. 2 Miggy or a Rd. 3 Votto. Hell, you won't even get the super sweet value of a Rd. 16 Konerko. Votto is currently projecting to crack the top 12 next year. And Miggy? He'll probably go right after Pujols. After a big year, Konerko probably won't fall past round 5 or 6, depending on where he ends up. No thanks.

There will always be sweet values, its just pegging the right guy. Maybe this is the year Butler breaks out with 30+ HRs or an injured slugger falls late (Morneau, Youk, Morales).

Very true. I was more to the point of pointing out that Miggy now will cost a top 3 pick. Also, congradulations on being the very first "maybe this is the year Butler breaks out" guy for 2011.
Even this early, I'm already excited for the possibility of a RD.6 Youk or Morales. Great points
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 pm

thejusman1 wrote:And if I had to guess the 1st round...

1. Pujols
2. MCab
3. Hanley
4. Votto
5. Tulo
6. Cano
7. Braun
8. Utley
9. Longoria
10. CarGo
11. Hamilton
12. Crawford

Right on the cusp of this would be Wright, Halladay, Fielder, Teix, Howard, Wainwright, Felix, and Lincecum. Like last year, it wouldn't shock me at all if the 2nd round out-produced the 1st round.

I think you nearly nailed it with those twelve, however I'm inclinded to swap Votto and Longoria. I'm just not seeing a need for 3 of the first 4 picks being 1B. However, it is looking like one of the better draft positions to be in this year is 10-12, just considering the names we don't see in the top 12. Before Yahoo! changed their rankings, if you drafted in february you could have ended up with a Longoria/Cabrera combo. There are pros and cons to drafting early, obviously.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Fielder should fall out of the 1st round, and he's a player I'd definitely target for a comeback season. He seems to alternate between 35 homer seasons and 50 homer seasons.

Definitely a lot of great pitching value next year. I definitely want to draft Max Scherzer on all my teams next year. His second half looked great. Hopefully Bumgarner won't shoot up the draft boards, as I want him late too.

Scherzer was THE MAN later in the season. I'm guessing he should last past round 10. An even later round gem, (take 2) could be Mr. Anderson of the A's.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers