Red Sox Trade for Andrew Miller - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox Trade for Andrew Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red Sox Trade for Andrew Miller

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 am

The Red Sox are taking on a salvage operation, one that has a potentially high return. On Friday, Boston traded left-handed reliever Dustin Richardson, who flopped in his audition with the team this past season, to the Florida Marlins for another left-hander, Andrew Miller.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/ne ... id=5797288
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Red Sox Trade for Andrew Miller

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:04 am

Decent gamble for the Red Sox. They didn't give up much, so even if Miller doesn't pan out, they only gave up Richardson.

Funny how things work. Bard and Miller were teammates at UNC and while Miller was usually regarded as the better talent, Bard was never far behind, although his stock fell a little just before the draft. I can't remember if there was an injury or not. Bard's 1st pro season was nothing to write home about and things weren't looking too bright, while Miller was already pitching in the Majors.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby dAnzac » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:26 am

Miller has always interested me, with the GBs and the K potential.
If you look underneath the ugly traditional stats, 2008 was a "nearly there" season.

Unfortunately, he looks close to done at this stage. When pitchers start putting up 6s and 7s BB/9, they've got one foot on the unemployment line.

I'm guessing the Sox try him in the bullpen, as starting seems beyond him.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Decent gamble for the Red Sox. They didn't give up much, so even if Miller doesn't pan out, they only gave up Richardson.

Funny how things work. Bard and Miller were teammates at UNC and while Miller was usually regarded as the better talent, Bard was never far behind, although his stock fell a little just before the draft. I can't remember if there was an injury or not. Bard's 1st pro season was nothing to write home about and things weren't looking too bright, while Miller was already pitching in the Majors.

Bard had epic control problems as a starter when he joined the Sox system (9.9 BB / 9 IP X-I ) and WR couldn't give him away.

Decent gamble for the Sox though expectations have to bet set around nil.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:08 am

This won't pan out but not like Boston gave up anything for Miller, always worth a try.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:30 am

bigken117 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Decent gamble for the Red Sox. They didn't give up much, so even if Miller doesn't pan out, they only gave up Richardson.

Bard had epic control problems as a starter when he joined the Sox system (9.9 BB / 9 IP X-I ) and WR couldn't give him away.

Decent gamble for the Sox though expectations have to bet set around nil.

I was actually the one who drafted Bard, only to give him away for an expiring Aaron Rowand the next year. I'll never forget that trade. :-B

I agree with Aussie here. Miller looks done, but I'd still take him over Richardson any day.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby nsulham » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:32 am

Yep, he'll be in the pen. Curt Young's first pet project. If he's salvageable or not is one thing but at the cost of just Richardson you make that move 10 days a week.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:40 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Bard had epic control problems as a starter when he joined the Sox system (9.9 BB / 9 IP X-I ) and WR couldn't give him away.

I was actually the one who drafted Bard, only to give him away for an expiring Aaron Rowand the next year. I'll never forget that trade. :-B
I traded Bard for Cordero, who in turn gave me one inning. Possibly even 2/3's of an inning.. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby dAnzac » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 pm

nsulham wrote:Yep, he'll be in the pen. Curt Young's first pet project.

:-C :-t
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:22 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote: Bard and Miller were teammates at UNC and while Miller was usually regarded as the better talent, Bard was never far behind, although his stock fell a little just before the draft.

Bard got dinged up a bit at the end of his junior season at UNC and absolutely lost all control of the strike zone with his fastball.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers