Can we get a Pacman fight thread going? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Can we get a Pacman fight thread going?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can we get a Pacman fight thread going?

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:01 pm

From the previous link. lol! :-b

"Canadian teen pop sensation and amateur Hilary Swank lookalike Justin Bieber..."

She really does look like Hilary Swank though. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:What it boils down to is Floyd is a joke. Dude has been a welterweight forever and he has fought none of the great welters. How he gets away with it is crazy. You look at all of the great fighters that he could have fought over his career and his biggest victories are Ricky Hatton and Diego Corrales. Other than that, he chooses smaller guys or guys well past their prime. The worst part of it is, he could probably beat a lot of these great guys, but he has ducked them all.

Saying Mayweather's biggest victories are Hatton and Corrales is just silly. That's like saying Pacquiao's crowning achievement was a win over Margarito (who wouldn't rank as a top 10 fighter in any weight class). Both fighters have some great wins under their belt a bunch of wins over fighters they greatly outclassed, and some fights that never took place that would have been great to see.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Mayweather's beatdown of Gatti was one of the more impressive performances ever. Not to mention he beat a younger De La Hoya and Hatton than Pacquiao did. He dominated Zab Judah too. Again, I think Pacquiao is better at this very moment, but Mayweather's style would give Pacquiao trouble and I could easily see Floyd winning the fight.

I think Floyd is the only person on the planet with the ability to beat Pacquiao right now. I don't think he will if they fight, but he's the only person who would even have a chance. That said, when Zab Judah makes the list of your top three wins, I'm not impressed.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Mayweather's beatdown of Gatti was one of the more impressive performances ever. Not to mention he beat a younger De La Hoya and Hatton than Pacquiao did. He dominated Zab Judah too. Again, I think Pacquiao is better at this very moment, but Mayweather's style would give Pacquiao trouble and I could easily see Floyd winning the fight.

I think Floyd is the only person on the planet with the ability to beat Pacquiao right now. I don't think he will if they fight, but he's the only person who would even have a chance. That said, when Zab Judah makes the list of your top three wins, I'm not impressed.

It wasn't just a victory.....he dominated that fight too. I understand your point though.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bigken117 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Bernard Hopkins gives stupidity a new definition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=5820908

And not by contradicting himself about the race thing.

"I think Floyd Mayweather would pot-shot Pacquiao and bust him up in between the four-to-five punches that Pacquiao throws and then set him up later on down the line."

Um, no. Mayweather would dance around for 12 rounds trying to protect his face.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Mayweather is so boring to watch. It seems like all he does is get a few jabs/counter punches in, then dance away. He can dominate a fight by unanimous decision, but most times he doesn't go for the KO, apparently because he isn't a power puncher by trade.

That said, I would like to see Pacquiao fight someone who is quicker and can put up a better defense. Hatton was dominated because he's quite slow (that showed in his fight vs. Mayweather too), De La Hoya was well into his decline, and as for Margarito, yes, he's 30 pounds heavier and has a better reach, but he's also not fleet of foot. Clottey was too defensive of a fighter to give Pacquiao a serious fight. Speed for speed, it seems like Pacman and Mayweather are a match, but Pacman is lightning quick with his punches and hits hard.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 pm

It's disappointing that apparently Pacquiao's team doesn't intend to have him fight against the bigger fighters anymore. With Martinez laying waste to Paul Williams, Pacman vs Sergio would be a terrific fill-in for Pac vs FMJ. But it would likely have to be at 150 lbs and that probably is further than Pacman's team is willing to go. Probably Pac vs Mosley at either 144 or 147 lbs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 am

Bump. Anyone still thinking Pacman is a dominate P4P fighter should watch his last three fights. If Mayweather v Pacquiao is really coming next then Manny is in all sorts of trouble.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 am

I'm not saying that this was done on purpose but if anything can get Mayweather out of hiding it was a performance like this. Maybe he will come out from behind his mother's skirt and man up. Even if this is a sign of Manny's decline it may help get him the biggest payday of his life maybe even the biggest in boxing history. At the very worst it will set up a Manny/Marquez 4.

This is the only thing keeping boxing alive. Is it really true that the top two heavyweights are Russians, and they are related?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm

I don't think it was done on purpose, Manny has looked fairly average in his last 3 fights at least and really hasn't looked like a dominating fighter since Pac-Marq 2. The Mosely fight, more than anything, probably signaled the end of his reign as top P4P guy. The Pac-Marq-3 was just icing on the cake. I don't think there is any way around the FMJ v Pacman now and it is all but guaranteed to be a record breaking draw (I wouldn't be shocked if it completely obliterated 2.4m that FMJ v Oscar drew). Too bad both fighters will be on the wrong side of their careers, Pacman just further down the slide.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk