Can we get a Pacman fight thread going? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Can we get a Pacman fight thread going?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can we get a Pacman fight thread going?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am

Mayweather afraid? All he's asked is for Pacquiao to take the Olympic-style blood test and he continues to refuse. Why won't Pacquiao just take the test and get the fight going?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:37 pm

I would like to see Troy Polomalu challenge Tom Brady to a drug test that is not mandated by the NFL and see how that plays out. Or maybe next year before they play the Blue Jays CC Sabathia will say he wants Jose Bautista to take a drug test that isn't required by baseball's ruling body. Pac gave blood for the Morales fight. He says he felt drained and doesn't want to do it again. No commission wants him to do it again. Floyd heard about the Morales story and wants to get in Manny's head. Manny thinks that it's BS. He is the best fighter in the world and he's supposed to cave to a guy that boxing fans unanimously agree has ducked the greatest fighters of his generation? No way. I have no idea how someone who watches boxing can be a Floyd fan at this point. He's been a welterweight for almost 5 years and other than old ass De La Hoya (who he didn't exactly dominate), Zab Judah is the best true welter that he has fought. Dude's a joke.

If Mayweather really cared, he'd be aggressively lobbying the boxing commissions for reform. But he's not, he's playing a head game and trying to get public sentiment on his side.

He shouldn't be using contract negotiations to change the rules of the sport, period. Even if he's doing it for the very best of reasons, trying to hold himself and his opponents to a higher standard of integrity than they would otherwise be held to by the athletic commissions (which he's not), he's still tarnishing his own legacy by going outside the sanctioning bodies over something like this.

Not only is he questioning the legitimacy of all sanctioned fights that are not conducted under his additional set of rules, Mayweather has a clear conflict of interest in calling for more stringent testing. This is especially true when he's calling for it against an opponent who has expressed public concerns that this particular form of testing will negatively impact his ability to properly prepare for the fight.

True, that's a pretty thin excuse and Pacquiao doesn't look great here. That said, he comes out smelling like roses compared with how it would look if he made that same argument against a sanctioned athletic commission's call for that testing as a condition of license.

If, in my line of work (which isn't analogous to boxing whatsoever, but whatever), my competitor wanted me to do somethign above and beyond what's required of me by the agencies that govern what I do, I'd tell him to go eff himself, regardless of what he was asking for or why, most likely.

Despite all of that, Manny is willing to take the blood test up until a week before the fight and immediately after. He just doesn't want to give blood the day before he fights.

I'm not educated enough about testing and doping to speak definitively about it, but I highly doubt that Manny would be able to use PEDs with greater effectiveness and secrecy purely because he did not take a blood test the day before the fight.

I just don't see how a test a week before and immediately after is not enough to determine that a boxer (who has never been linked to PEDs or tested positive) is clean. I mean, why not take blood immediately after round 6 if we really want to be sure?

What it boils down to is Floyd is a joke. Dude has been a welterweight forever and he has fought none of the great welters. How he gets away with it is crazy. You look at all of the great fighters that he could have fought over his career and his biggest victories are Ricky Hatton and Diego Corrales. Other than that, he chooses smaller guys or guys well past their prime. The worst part of it is, he could probably beat a lot of these great guys, but he has ducked them all.

He might as well have just stayed at 130.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Excellent post. Fantastic even. ;-D
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Boxing lost me to mma a long time ago. It now seems so linear, it doesn't have the personalities and you can't help but feel sad for the fighters and the inevitable brain damage they are suffering.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Boxing lost me to mma a long time ago. It now seems so linear, it doesn't have the personalities and you can't help but feel sad for the fighters and the inevitable brain damage they are suffering.

I actually agree with most of this. I used to watch A LOT of boxing. Now I just watch the big fights, and even then I'm lucky if I see them live. I still read quite a bit about boxing, though. I disagree about the personalities, but agree about the brain damage. For some reason, I just can't get into MMA. I've watched it multiple times and just don't enjoy it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 pm

boxing needs 1v1v1 matches
or tag team
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 am

So if Pacquiao said he would take the blood test, are you implying that Mayweather would find another way to block the fight? I don't believe that at all.

disclaimer: I am in no way a pac-man hater or a floyd follower.....I just know most people don't like Mayweather solely because of his personality and not his fighting ability so I find myself sticking up for him in this argument
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:So if Pacquiao said he would take the blood test, are you implying that Mayweather would find another way to block the fight? I don't believe that at all.

I really don't know. I'd love to see them fight, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Mayweather continue to find reasons to back out of it. He's ducked every other great fighter of his generation, why would he all of a sudden take on a challenge like Pacquiao?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:So if Pacquiao said he would take the blood test, are you implying that Mayweather would find another way to block the fight? I don't believe that at all.

I really don't know. I'd love to see them fight, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Mayweather continue to find reasons to back out of it. He's ducked every other great fighter of his generation, why would he all of a sudden take on a challenge like Pacquiao?

Surprisingly, shockingly, I'm dumbfounded to find that I actually agree with portions of this statement. I disagree with the part about the ducks but still don't like boxing. :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Mayweather's beatdown of Gatti was one of the more impressive performances ever. Not to mention he beat a younger De La Hoya and Hatton than Pacquiao did. He dominated Zab Judah too. Again, I think Pacquiao is better at this very moment, but Mayweather's style would give Pacquiao trouble and I could easily see Floyd winning the fight.

EDIT: This will make the fight happen
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk