Edwin Encarnacion Claimed by the A's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edwin Encarnacion Claimed by the A's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edwin Encarnacion Claimed by the A's

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:18 pm

In just the latest offseason move by a suddenly very active Billy Beane, the Oakland A's have claimed third baseman Edwin Encarnacion off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays...
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2010/11/12/ ... s-as-claim
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edwin Encarnacion Claimed by the A's

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Does this mean the Jays are going to move Bautista to 3B? There is no other option, unless they move Hill to 3rd or sign/trade for another player.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tavish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:50 pm

mweir145 wrote:Does this mean the Jays are going to move Bautista to 3B? There is no other option, unless they move Hill to 3rd or sign/trade for another player.

Strangely enough I keep hearing rumors that the Jays have expressed some interest in getting Alex Gordon. Not that I think the Royals would move him even now after so many disappointments, but it would be interesting to see what type of talent would be in the discussion between Moore and other GMs when it came to Gordon.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:58 pm

This just opens the door for the A's to trade Kouzmanoff and a minor leaguer to the Royals for Grienke.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Does this mean the Jays are going to move Bautista to 3B? There is no other option, unless they move Hill to 3rd or sign/trade for another player.

Strangely enough I keep hearing rumors that the Jays have expressed some interest in getting Alex Gordon. Not that I think the Royals would move him even now after so many disappointments, but it would be interesting to see what type of talent would be in the discussion between Moore and other GMs when it came to Gordon.

That would be a buy low acquisition similar to Brandon Morrow, and that's paid off huge.

Somehow I don't think he'll be able to get Gordon for a Brandon League-type and a prospect, but we'll see what happens.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Tavish wrote:

Yup. There were rumours about that. The rumour was that the Jays were looking to trade for Greinke and Gordon. What I've heard was that the Royals would get Marcum and two top prospects.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Tavish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Yup. There were rumours about that. The rumour was that the Jays were looking to trade for Greinke and Gordon. What I've heard was that the Royals would get Marcum and two top prospects.

I've heard all sorts of names tossed around but I don't take many of them too serious. If what is supposedly Moore's asking price for Greinke is true, then I don't think the Jays match up real well. Then again I don't think any team who isn't one pitcher away from being a legitimate playoff contender matches up real well when the asking price is your first born son.

mweir145 wrote:Somehow I don't think he'll be able to get Gordon for a Brandon League-type and a prospect, but we'll see what happens.

If the Royals had a someone waiting in the wings in the OF other than potential 4th OF type guys I could see something like that happening, but as it stands right now Gordon is basically the most reliable option they have (as scary as that is). Maybe Moore will go the Pods/Ankiel free agent route again this season which would give him a little more wiggle room to move Gordon.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Tavish wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
Tavish wrote:Strangely enough I keep hearing rumors that the Jays have expressed some interest in getting Alex Gordon. Not that I think the Royals would move him even now after so many disappointments, but it would be interesting to see what type of talent would be in the discussion between Moore and other GMs when it came to Gordon.

I've heard all sorts of names tossed around but I don't take many of them too serious. If what is supposedly Moore's asking price for Greinke is true, then I don't think the Jays match up real well. Then again I don't think any team who isn't one pitcher away from being a legitimate playoff contender matches up real well when the asking price is your first born son.

If I'm the Jays, I'm not that interested in Greinke. He'll cost too much and they have a pretty good rotation right now as it stands. There's no legit #1, but pitchers like Morrow and Romero could very easily become that guy.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby dAnzac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Woooohooo!

For free? :-L

I've liked Edwin for years, he's been yo-yoing on and off my fantasy teams constantly since 2006.

I'm very interested in where they think they're going to play him, I'm not sure they'll replace Kouz's excellent fielding with Edwin's iron claws (he did just have a career year according to UZR though). He could find himself out in LF if they want Carter back in AAA for a little visit. :-?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers