Creating a league, thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Creating a league, thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Creating a league, thoughts?

Postby Saltydog » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 pm

I've been part of a decent, but not very competitive money league for 3 years now and I'm looking to create something on my own.

The league we've been using has been a 5x5 Roto, with 13 teams and a custom salary cap.

I like the 5x5 format, but h2h or roto don't really matter to me.

What I'd like to do is take the idea from Tout and have half the teams with a AL league format and half with a NL league format.

The NL will benefit by having an additional P spot, the AL would get a DH.

Does anyone have any experience with a this type of league?

I can imagine how the trading deadline and other strategies may come into play, especially in a h2h format.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Creating a league, thoughts?

Postby pjalst » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Will the AL use AL players only and the NL only use NL players? Or will it just be AL/NL format?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 33)

Postby mkultra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Don't get cute with your league.

It's tempting as a new commish to want to have a league that incorporates some Really Neat ideas that make it Fun and Competitive. There are two big problems with using rules that almost no one else does:

- Odds are the big sites won't support your system.
- You make it harder for your managers to base their projections based on data that's out there.

You wind up making a lot of extra work for yourself and your managers, and increase the odds of someone making a mistake you need to unwind from (if that's even possible). If it's your first league as commish, I'd suggest sticking to a simpler setup, get a core group of dedicated players, then see about "graduating" to a deeper setup in a few years.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Saltydog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm not trying to make it "cute". I was just thinking that having a shallow AL only and NL only league could be interesting if merged into one league.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the concerns.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 am

what ive always wanted to do is similar to what you are doing...having 10 guys each have a Nl only and a AL only team. less than 10 teams isnt fun for me....and im pretty sure i couldnt get 20 people

i think it would be fun to have an only team from both leagues.
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Ive always wanted to run one league where the teams all have an AL team and an NL team with slight differences then you award an overall prize and lesser prize to winner of AL and NL (but overall winner doesnt double dip). 2 drafts and all. Start a Util in AL, One more P slot in NL side so you have the slight difference in point getting but still 5 x 5

Do things like if owner A loses a player from N to the AL they have the right of first refusal on him in the AL side.

As the other poster pointed out though, The more unique the more difficult to run!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Saltydog -- I have often thought of a league like that. It would be alot of fun. I would think that you would want both leagues to have the same players, not the AL one more pitcher so that you could have a Championship Game between the two league winners. I played H2H Catagory last year for the first time and it was alot of fun. If you should get this league going, I would definately be interested if H2H Catagory.
Since you need 20 owners, I would guess you should start early. If you need help with the league, I would be willing to do that. Let me know.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby MTUCache » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:31 pm

I like the premise... but there are a couple of stumbling blocks.

If you're going to have AL/NL teams compete against each other at some point, you're going to have some pretty disgruntled owners. Not only does NL have more everyday hitters to draft from (16 teams x 8 position players = 128 vs. 14 teams x 9 position = 126, a slight difference, but possibly significant), you're also going to have a different number of available pitchers (both starters and closers), a different number of games per week (8 NL games per day vs. 7 AL games per day), and you're going to have pitchers from the NL facing (supposedly) much easier lineups than pitchers from the AL.

Keeping them separate (as in AL- or NL-only leagues) you can see how much the stats in each league differ. Stats that win roto categories in each league are quite different. Trying to mix them together, even if it's just for one week at the end of the season, and you're going to have one player with a definite advantage.

Combine all this with the normal nightmare for AL- or NL-only leagues (big name players switching leagues halfway through the season), and you've got quite a pickle on your hands.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Those are all valid concerns. Probably the easiest solution would be to eliminate two NL teams from the player pool.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 am

bigmck wrote:Those are all valid concerns. Probably the easiest solution would be to eliminate two NL teams from the player pool.

Frankly, with solutions like that you're just making it harder and harder to manage the league, and you're not really fixing any of the problems with it. A bandaid like that (eliminating the Pirates' and Diamondbacks' players) isn't helping the fact all of the other teams still play games against them. Most times the easiest solution is just going to create a bunch more problems. A commish who doesn't think through the consequences of all of his decisions is one who's league isn't going to last long.

The idea of adding new wrinkles into a league is great. I'd never discourage someone from trying new things and adding to the enjoyment of others, but at some point there's a line that gets crossed where it stops being more fun and just gets broken. Some owners figure these things out faster than others, loopholes get found and used, people get their feelings hurt, and friends suddenly have more to argue about than there should be over a simple game.

I'm not saying a simple, vanilla league is the only way to run a successful league. I'm just saying that it takes a VERY savvy commish to maintain a balanced league when extra rules start getting thrown in, and it takes an even better one to be able to manage the owners of an unbalanced league without it blowing up in his face. There's a reason why the standard league setups across the major fantasy sites are so similar. They work for the average level of the participants. Maybe your particular owners can handle more a more complex system. Maybe they can't.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner