Can I leave Werth off my keeper team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Can I leave Werth off my keeper team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can I leave Werth off my keeper team?

Postby fast dogs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm

14 team 5x5 roto we use corner, middle & 4 OF, can keep 7 players up to 5 years. Werth would be in his 3rd year.
The no doubters:
A Gonzalez
Wainwright
Ethier
McCutchen
The probables:
Beltre
Andrus
The decision:
Werth
Feliz
I've sworn off closers as keepers and generally don't end up with the good ones anyway.Feliz dropped in this draft last year & he's won me over.The top-end closers seem to be shakier than ever with Mo getting up there in years. Brox & Paps having off years, Nathan coming off surgery, K Rod...If you look at closer as a position its weaker than usual is my point
Werth would be my 3rd OF & looks to be on the move;certainly where he ends up will be a huge factor but change is almost never good & leaving Philly for a lesser team isn't good either. I know many would prefer Werth over the powerless Andrus or Beltre but unless Beltre signs somewhere aweful for me it comes down to Werth or Feliz. I will have the opportunity to trade 1 of the 4 for a draft pick, but right now I'm looking at moving Werth & holding the rest. Werth continues to be a top 50ish player from some of the early rankings I've seen; but I'm just not that high on him. If he goes to a decent offense, am I selling him short?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can I leave Werth off my keeper team?

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Werth is a better keeper IMO than Andrus. Then between Andrus and Feliz, I think it is a toss up. There is a good reason that closers shouldn't be kept and you pretty much explained it. There aren't very many good closers out there for a reason because that position is volatile. Going into last season Broxton would have been in the same boat as Feliz and look at what happened. So unless you are pretty desperate I would keep Andrus/Werth.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 pm

Return Feliz to the wood pile.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1445)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:53 pm

I would easily keep Werth over Feliz.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fast dogs » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 pm

I just hate having 3 outfielders in my 7 keepers again; but it also doesn't make sense to not go with the best 7.We'll see where he ends up & what the guys want come trade time. Werth had 9 fewer HR & 7 less sb's than last year, but the batting average was 25 points higher than his career avg.
I got burned in 1 league where I didn't take any decent closers the first half of the draft; still think thats the way to go but I am sort of mesmerized by Feliz. SS 3rd base & closer seem to be the 3 weak positions & if I could get a decent draft pick for Werth I'm still going to have to consider it. The rest of the league will probably be as high on Werth as well; maybe I can do a 2-1 too. In this league almost every next-in-line closer is rostered; despise paying for saves with a keeper but do think Feliz could be as good as any the next 4 years. Well it looks like Werth should hold the greatest trade value if I go that route. thanks for the replies
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby pjalst » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 pm

I would rather have Werth over Andrus also.

please help viewtopic.php?f=29&t=419925
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions