A's win rights to negotiate with Hisashi Iwakuma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's win rights to negotiate with Hisashi Iwakuma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A's win rights to negotiate with Hisashi Iwakuma

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I have to agree that it's a very strange system. On solution would be to integrate the Japanese Leagues more with MLB and allow for player trades. I don't know if this would ever happen though, as most MLB players would rather play in AAA than in Japan.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote: right now, it's up to the japanese team to pick the mlb team who they believe combines the biggest posting fee with the highest likelihood of signing the player. it's not oakland's fault that iwakuma is asking for way too much money and they shouldn't be punished for it.

I'm fairly sure its not up to the Japanese team to pick who wins the bid. The MLB Commish opens the bids and then just tells the NPB team how much it is. They have to either accept or decline without knowing who made the bid.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Tavish wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote: right now, it's up to the japanese team to pick the mlb team who they believe combines the biggest posting fee with the highest likelihood of signing the player. it's not oakland's fault that iwakuma is asking for way too much money and they shouldn't be punished for it.

I'm fairly sure its not up to the Japanese team to pick who wins the bid. The MLB Commish opens the bids and then just tells the NPB team how much it is. They have to either accept or decline without knowing who made the bid.

you're right, i was told differently on another site and it made a ton more sense to do it that way so i just assumed they were right. having a closed bid system seems silly because then one team can just bid a ton of money to block other teams with no real intent to sign the player. allowing japanese teams to know who is bidding can give them an idea of how likely the mlb team will be to actually sign the player. some tweaking definitely needs to be done for this process to have any sort of real credibility.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby dAnzac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm

WHY DOES EVERYBODY HATE US?

/angry X-I
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:26 am

I kinda of find it interesting that Iwakuma thinks he is worth $10+ million a year. Matsuzaka hasn't been effective since 2008 and is making $10 a year while signed during a better economy and Kuroda just signed a one year pro-rated deal for $12 with a $4 million signing bonus paid out through '11 and '12 and that is after proving himself in the majors. Kawakami has been inconsistent and came over to the US too late in age and Kei Igawa ($28 million bid) has crashed and burned. It has to be telling that the bid for Iwakuma was $41 million less than Matsuzaka and he wants a similar contract. If I was the agent for Iwakuma, I 'd be asking for a deal worth about $4 million 2011, $6 million 2012, $8 million 2013, $10 million 2014 with mutual payout options. You can't expect the A's to give Iwakuma the money he is seeking. Sad, because I was looking forward to seeing him pitch in the majors but I only think he has marginal #3 potential on a decent team.

Good article about what Dice-K would be worth now...
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseb ... ka-get-now
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby dAnzac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm

ARRRGGHHH

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/iwakuma-negotiations-not-looking-good.html

9:32pm: The A's announced they were unable to reach an agreement with Iwakuma and his representatives.

[Goes and breaks something]
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 am

dAnzac wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
dAnzac wrote:Athletics Nation scooped MLBTR by about 12 hours weirdly :-S

If Iwakuma can do a passable impression of Kuroda for a cheaper price, this is an awesome deal ;-D
If it means we have the flexibility to get top dollar (an awesome bat) for Cahill, even better :-L

gonna be tough for him to be cheaper than kuroda when they already paid a $17MM posting fee.

Well they can (not that I think they will) offer him a contract for 6 years to get good value.
I think they'll offer something like 4y x 5ish mil with options for year 5 and 6.
So at minimum they are paying 37mil for 4 years. Kuroda should get something similar to that per year.

lol
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am

Japanese media had reported that Oakland made a four-year proposal worth $15.25 million. In terms of annual salary, it is equal to what Iwakuma made with the Eagles of Japan's Pacific League.

"Their offer was low and they weren't sincere," Nomura said.

Seriously A's? Was the real motive to sign this guy or to block other teams from signing him. Why would he sign for the same he is making in Japan for 4 years when he can be a free agent next year and get more than twice that next season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers