Miguel Olivo traded to the Jays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Olivo traded to the Jays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Olivo traded to the Jays

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Olivo traded for a PTBNL.

There is some speculation that because Olivo is a type B free agent, the Jays are going to let him sign elsewhere and take the pick. Withe Jose Molina and JP Arrencibia supposedly sharing duties next year, making a move for Olivo is certainly interesting. Or maybe AA has a crush on former Royals catchers.

Olivo had a great first half, but faded after the break. Iannetta never really got the chance to get things going and I'm not sure what to do with him fantasy-wise. He didn't do much at the major league level, but still hit AAA very well. I like to think he still has the potential to put up nice numbers at C playing full time, especially because the power seems to be there, but I'm not sure the Rockies trust him all that much, in which case he is likely to be sharing duties again in 2011 and unless he goes bananas and runs away with the job, it is probably going to be more of the same.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Olivo traded to the Jays

Postby mweir145 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 pm

I think there's more value in picking up his relatively cheap option at $2.7M. He's been an above-average catcher for two years now, and could start or be traded by the Jays for something else.

Either way, another good move by AA.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 am

They declined the option. The Jays basically just traded cash for a draft pick.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 am

John Buck is a better Miguel Olivo than Miguel Olivo is anyway.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 am

They have to offer him arbitration to get the pick, don't they?

Also, are the Type A/Type B free agent lists released? I don't really know how it works, I just know that it's some supposedly secret formula that nobody is sure about until after the season is over.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:48 am

Skin Blues wrote:They have to offer him arbitration to get the pick, don't they?

Also, are the Type A/Type B free agent lists released? I don't really know how it works, I just know that it's some supposedly secret formula that nobody is sure about until after the season is over.

Per MLBTradeRumors, he's a Type B. Jays would have to offer him arbitration, he would have to decline and sign elsewhere for them to receive a draft pick.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 am

Skin Blues wrote: I just know that it's some supposedly secret formula that nobody is sure about until after the season is over.
Actually MLBTR reverse engineered the STATS ranking system last year, so they are able to tell you who is an A/B type free agent right away.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:27 pm

OK I thought I heard something about that on the radio a while back but I wasn't sure if it was proven accurate or not. Looks like the Jays will have some nice compensation picks, as long as their FAs decline arbitration.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm

I don't think MLBTR has completely reversed engineered the rankings correctly though yet. Last I heard, they were still a bit off but the "rankings" were extremely good estimates as to what the FA rankings would be. But it doesn't matter, the rankings now on MLBTR for 2011 are official.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 am

Skin Blues wrote:OK I thought I heard something about that on the radio a while back but I wasn't sure if it was proven accurate or not. Looks like the Jays will have some nice compensation picks, as long as their FAs decline arbitration.

Out of the bunch, I think only Frasor could accept arbitration. Gregg had a decent enough year, he closed and he is only a type B. I think someone will go after him. Downs is likely to get multi-year deal. Buck and Olivo had good years too and with Arencibia and Molina likely to be behind the plate for the Jays, I don't see why they would accept arb. If one of the two were to accept arb, I bet it would be Olivo.

Even if Olivo accepts arb, they could still move him before the season if they are indeed set in going with Molina and Arencibia. We still need to see what exactly the Jays are giving up for Olivo. If it is cash or a no name prospect, and I can't see AA giving up anyone of great importance here, it looks like a nice move by the Jays. Especially considering that many have said the 2011 is one of the deepest in years.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers