Top 10 Position Players in Baseball Right Now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 10 Position Players in Baseball Right Now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 10 Position Players in Baseball Right Now

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am

If you had to rank the top 10 position players in Baseball right now, not just fantasy related, but Offensively and Defensively, who would be in your top 10?
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 10 Position Players in Baseball Right Now

Postby MTUCache » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Based on Win Probablity Added for 2010:
Votto, MCab, Hamilton, Pujols, Heyward, AGon, Holliday, Choo, Bautista, Cano. (Followed by Huff, Konerko, ARod).

Based on Wins Above Replacement for 2010:
Hamilton, Votto, Pujols, Zimmerman, Beltre, Bautista, Longoria, Holliday, Crawford, Tulo. (Followed by Cano, MCab, Weeks, Torres).

Guess that kind of speaks for itself, although I'd certainly make some changes for a Fantasy board (where obviously defense isn't nearly as important as positional scarcity or offensive production).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Pujols
Hamilton
Utley
Zimmerman
Longoria
Holliday
Cabrera
Crawford
Tulowitzki
Mauer

Since we aren't talking fantasy I tend to discount guys who had a breakout season last year and lean more towards players with a track record of at least a couple seasons. Hanley probably should be on the list somewhere but I just can't put him above Tulo at this point, his defense at the SS spot is to hard to ignore.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Breakout season or not, recent history or future potential counted however you like, I don't see how Mauer could be ahead of Votto. In fact, I'd make an argument that he'd be ahead of both Utley and Zimmerman. Their positional scarcity may carry quite a lot of weight, but offensive production and health have to count for something as well.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm

MTUCache wrote:Breakout season or not, recent history or future potential counted however you like, I don't see how Mauer could be ahead of Votto. In fact, I'd make an argument that he'd be ahead of both Utley and Zimmerman. Their positional scarcity may carry quite a lot of weight, but offensive production and health have to count for something as well.

Sure health and offensive production count for something. It's not like Zimmerman, Utley, or Mauer are slouches with the bat. So does defense and track record. Let's not make Votto's season out to be some historic season of greatness (we can save that for Bautista), it was an excellent offensive season and probably the best offensive performance this season.

Overall though it wasn't that much better of a season than Zimmerman (7.4 WAR vs 7.2), it was well behind what Mauer has done (8.0 WAR in 2009) and almost the same as what Utley has averaged over the previous 5 seasons (7.5 WAR from 2005 to 2009). If you think the list should be "what have you done for me lately" or want to project the list into the future, then I completely understand having Votto up pretty high. I tend to take track record into account and don't discount players after a somewhat down season when they have proven themselves to be elite in the recent past.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Tavish wrote:
MTUCache wrote:Breakout season or not, recent history or future potential counted however you like, I don't see how Mauer could be ahead of Votto. In fact, I'd make an argument that he'd be ahead of both Utley and Zimmerman. Their positional scarcity may carry quite a lot of weight, but offensive production and health have to count for something as well.

Sure health and offensive production count for something. It's not like Zimmerman, Utley, or Mauer are slouches with the bat. So does defense and track record. Let's not make Votto's season out to be some historic season of greatness (we can save that for Bautista), it was an excellent offensive season and probably the best offensive performance this season.

Overall though it wasn't that much better of a season than Zimmerman (7.4 WAR vs 7.2), it was well behind what Mauer has done (8.0 WAR in 2009) and almost the same as what Utley has averaged over the previous 5 seasons (7.5 WAR from 2005 to 2009). If you think the list should be "what have you done for me lately" or want to project the list into the future, then I completely understand having Votto up pretty high. I tend to take track record into account and don't discount players after a somewhat down season when they have proven themselves to be elite in the recent past.

;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Tavish wrote:

Yeah, I agree with J35J. Excellent post there.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 am

Franklin Guiterrez seems to be a glaring omission
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers