When will any 2011 rankings be out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When will any 2011 rankings be out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When will any 2011 rankings be out?

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:Jesus H. Christ. If you don't like it, don't waste your time on it like you're wasting your time bashing it.

He's just sour that Texas knocked his boys out of the playoffs. The Yanks definitely should have started Joba over Hughes in that last game. ;-7

Did you watch Phil Hughes this year?

4 Seam Fastball (63%)
Cut Fastball (16%)
Curve (16%)
Change (3.5%)

4.20 ERA, 1.25 WHIP - His CB was awful this year and struggled commanded it.

He threw 85% Fastballs to Righties this year....He is never going to have a Lester type break out year until he stops throwing FB, CT, repeat. I mean did anyone else think it was weird when he would 0-2 FB's, besides me?

He was suppose to learn another secondary pitch, not his fault Joba is a very bad baseball player. He flashed the CHG at the end of the pre season which is why they felt comfortable going forward. The problem was, he threw 79 CHG's (~4% of his pitches) total this year, but 30 of them came in the last 6 games of the season, lol.

All season long, one of the staples of Phil Hughes starts were complaints about him relying too much on his fastball and cutter. Batters seemed to foul the pitches off at will, yet he continued to throw them deep in the count instead of trying to get swings-and-misses or weak contact on offspeed pitches. The changeup that supposedly won him the fifth starter’s job in Spring Training all but disappeared until a late season cameo. It worked fine for the first few weeks of the season, but after that it was a bit of a struggle.

Hughes threw his four-seam fastball 63.6% of the time this year, the cutter 16.4%, and the offspeed stuff the remaining 20%. He was even more predictable with two strikes, throwing either a four-seamer or cutter almost 85% of the time (I have it at 84.75%, unofficially). When you’re throwing some kind of fastball four out of every five pitches, it’s easy to see why hitters fouled off more than a quarter of his total pitches this season. Hughes simply got predictable, even more so the second and third times through the league.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/10/cuttin ... ree-36678/

^It's a shame that Joba is so bad, this way Hughes could have actually made some progress this year towards being a front of the rotation guy. He is basically gonna turn into a Burnett hybrid.

So what you're saying is Hughes should have, and did, serve as the Yanks #5 starter. Got it.

That's not really the issue here, though. I thought this thread was dedicated to 2011 rankings. Bringing this train back to the tracks: Trü or false: Pedroia will be a better value in 2011 than Cano. Discuss.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Pedroia or Cano value next year? That's a loaded question. One is coming off an injury riddled season while the other had a MVP level season. Obviously Pedroia will be the better value, even if Cano has better numbers.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Pedroia or Cano value next year? That's a loaded question. One is coming off an injury riddled season while the other had a MVP level season. Obviously Pedroia will be the better value, even if Cano has better numbers.

lulz man, lulz. Cano is Jesus in pinstripes and Pedroia sucks.

Oh, and go Reds.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm

lulz
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ray Zorback » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:25 pm

In an effort to get this thread back on track:

-I'm looking for the dates different pre-season rankings will be out. (yahoo, espn...)
-I don't need rankings now, I need to know which ones will be out the earliest and when.
-I know things change after the pre-season rankings come out.
-I didn't own Phil Hughes on any of my teams.

Thanks
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 246)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Most of the sites don't advertise when they open up the 2011 product or will put out any rankings; they try to wait until most of the free agents have been signed. At the very least its going to be a couple months before much comes out
I for 1 was thrilled with Hughes this year. I drafted him late (ADP 224), got an incredible 1st half from him; then traded him for hitting in multiple leagues when he was 10-1 give or take a few starts. Shouldn't have come as a suprise to anyone he ran out of gas late. Between Hughes, Buchholz, & Capps (all ADP ^ pick 200) they made my fantasy season a success
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 298)

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Pedroia or Cano value next year? That's a loaded question. One is coming off an injury riddled season while the other had a MVP level season. Obviously Pedroia will be the better value, even if Cano has better numbers.

I expect similar numbers for the both of them. Expect more home runs from Cano, but more stolen bases from Pedroia. I do agree that Pedroia will come at a better value due to his injury.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 44)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

chargerss24 wrote:

I expect similar numbers for the both of them. Expect more home runs from Cano, but more stolen bases from Pedroia. I do agree that Pedroia will come at a better value due to his injury.

And, the gates to hell are opened...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Whalewang » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Sup with all the thread crapping and hijacking?

OP: http://www.fantasyrundown.com/2011_Base ... kings.html
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:46 pm

lulz, I love all you too and am glad you are very supportive.

Inukchuk wrote:So what you're saying is Hughes should have, and did, serve as the Yanks #5 starter. Got it.

As a Yankees fan you should know if Hughes turns out to be nothing but a 5th starter than its a epic fail. Eiland was promoted from AAA because of the success of Joba, Ian Kennedy, and Phil Hughes. RIght now two of them are busts, and Hughes had regression. Cashman brought down the hammer. Funny how as a Yankee fan you are blind to all this? Hughes' development as a SP was heavily stunned this year. FB 80%+ of the time on a 0-2 count is a absolutely pathetic.

Epic Fail of a Yankee fan right there for you. Reply with all the snark and sarcasm you want to make you look cool, but if you are happy with how Phil's season went, your nuts. You saw him those Texas games. He literally had no other pitch to go to besides his fastball, and Texas knew it. They sat FB and absolutely tatoo'd him. I am glad Hughes got rocked. Shows him urgency to develop a secondary pitch (I am hoping for a Mr. Splitty, personally)

Glad you got a good read on your team right now. Apparently you think Phil Hughes is okay, while Cashman thinks otherwise. ;-D

Aquaman2342 wrote:Pedroia or Cano value next year? That's a loaded question. One is coming off an injury riddled season while the other had a MVP level season. Obviously Pedroia will be the better value, even if Cano has better numbers.

This. Players who had a injury riddled season drop significantly in their rankings. Cano is not going to out perform his 1st round rank but Pedroia will likely be 4th, 5th round which he will out perform. Youkilus and Ellsbury's injuries will both be reflected in their ADP's. Those three will find spots on many of my teams due to how they fall. Cano was just a bargain in the third round because people like Inchuck and BChad had no idea how much he was going to dominate the American League.

Nelson Cruz, Canadian Bear (Morneau), are other examples. Tulo would have been amazing but he decided to sound off at the end of the season.

chargerss24 wrote:I expect similar numbers for the both of them. Expect more home runs from Cano, but more stolen bases from Pedroia. I do agree that Pedroia will come at a better value due to his injury.

In real life Pedroia can't even touch Cano on terms of the better player. Cano is top 5 in the AL right now. I couldn't even say Pedroia was top 5 in the AL when he won his MVP award. Im confident enough to say Cano's defense is better than Scrappy's as well. Cano is a elite force at this current time. But in fantasy Dusty's mere 15 SB {over the course of 160+ gamees} brings him closer to Cano's heels in fantasy, but its still not close.

chargerss24 wrote: Shouldn't have come as a suprise to anyone he ran out of gas late.

Wait, what? He ran out of gas? Thats a giant surprise to me. Especially cause I watch every single inning of his ~170 IP this year.

News to me. I didn't notice any diminished velocity or stuff. All I noticed was after his first half of starting, scouting reports told teams that he throws nothing else but a FB. So don't bother preparing for other things.
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers