When will any 2011 rankings be out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When will any 2011 rankings be out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When will any 2011 rankings be out?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 pm

drob681 wrote:I definitely don't qualify as one of the 'good posters' around here, but I am working on my own rankings for next year. This is the first year I've tried to do it, and I'm quickly learning that it is a tall task. All in all I've spent about 10 hours or so projecting players and then quantifying those projections into a numerical value which can then be ranked. I've only done 150 or so guys right now and intend to do another 200...But I have a full-time job and am a HS basketball coach, so I don't think I'll be able to get them together until December. Also, I'm customizing to my league which uses OBP, Hits, SLG%, CG, QS, and K/9 as extra categories...

My motivation for this was the guy w/ the KC Royals logo J353 I believe his username was. he put together an awesome spreadsheet that helped me a bunch. Also, I think a guy with a mets logo...rookiesncream (?) did some good stuff last year as well. If I had to guess it didn't come out until mock drafting heated up towards January. I guess what Mr. Red Sox is saying is that you may want to wait a while for some rankings that are trustworthy. My experience has been that the first ones out are not always offering the best advice.

Careful, he doesn't want opinions...

For what it's worth, J's spreadsheet is a popular tool around here and Rookies n' Cream does a fantastic ranking of mock draft results as things really get going. If you need something early, you're kind of out of luck unless you're doing your own rankings. But, if you can wait for these two tools, it's well worth it ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 pm

fast dogs wrote: They had Stubbs in the top 10 hitters at least a dozen spots ahead of Cano when I tried to put in my leagues settings.

lulzz.

I know its early, but how could any "early" ranking system even justify that ranking? Im actually curious as to what the are projecting Stubbs line to be and what Cano's will be?

How the heck does Cano drop out of the Top Ten and how the heck does Stubbs make it? Just ditch that site because there is a obvious glitch in there ranking formula. Thats not just a little error, thats awful.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RunReyesRun » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:03 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
fast dogs wrote: They had Stubbs in the top 10 hitters at least a dozen spots ahead of Cano when I tried to put in my leagues settings.

lulzz.

I know its early, but how could any "early" ranking system even justify that ranking? Im actually curious as to what the are projecting Stubbs line to be and what Cano's will be?

How the heck does Cano drop out of the Top Ten and how the heck does Stubbs make it? Just ditch that site because there is a obvious glitch in there ranking formula. Thats not just a little error, thats awful.

Heh, I thought the same thing when I read that.

"What would have to change this offseason for Cano to jump....Stubbs!?"
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:

lulzz.

Jesus H. Christ. If you don't like it, don't waste your time on it like you're wasting your time bashing it.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Jesus H. Christ. If you don't like it, don't waste your time on it like you're wasting your time bashing it.

lol are you kidding me? I didn't even bother to click the link but I don't care how early it is, any valuation system that projects Stubbs ahead of Cano is:
1.) Flawed
2.) Raises Red Flags about the validity of their other rankings
3.) Loses serious Credibility (really doesn't matter how early it is)

After watching everyone miss out on Cano because of flawed rankings that for some wierd odd reason suggested Brian Roberts would be superior, I am worried that flawed rankings might have the same effect with my many friends on this board.

Any valuation model that suggests Stubbs is a greater player over Cano (don't care how early it is, they shouldn't even happen in the first stages...) raises red flags, loses credibility, and shouldn't be used IMO.

So no, Im not wasting my time with it, just want to make sure no one else gets tricked by it because that is just plain ridiculous.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:17 am

Ray Zorback wrote:You have no idea why I need these dates.
if you need early rankings, the best thing to do is to crank out a quick marcels spreadsheet.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Jesus H. Christ. If you don't like it, don't waste your time on it like you're wasting your time bashing it.

He's just sour that Texas knocked his boys out of the playoffs. The Yanks definitely should have started Joba over Hughes in that last game. ;-7
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

He's just sour that Texas knocked his boys out of the playoffs. The Yanks definitely should have started Joba over Hughes in that last game. ;-7

Did you watch Phil Hughes this year?

4 Seam Fastball (63%)
Cut Fastball (16%)
Curve (16%)
Change (3.5%)

4.20 ERA, 1.25 WHIP - His CB was awful this year and struggled commanded it.

He threw 85% Fastballs to Righties this year....

He is never going to have a Lester type break out year until he stops throwing FB, CT, repeat. I mean did anyone else think it was weird when he would 0-2 FB's, besides me?

He was suppose to learn another secondary pitch, not his fault Joba is a very bad baseball player. He flashed the CHG at the end of the pre season which is why they felt comfortable going forward. The problem was, he threw 79 CHG's (~4% of his pitches) total this year, but 30 of them came in the last 6 games of the season, lol.

All season long, one of the staples of Phil Hughes starts were complaints about him relying too much on his fastball and cutter. Batters seemed to foul the pitches off at will, yet he continued to throw them deep in the count instead of trying to get swings-and-misses or weak contact on offspeed pitches. The changeup that supposedly won him the fifth starter’s job in Spring Training all but disappeared until a late season cameo. It worked fine for the first few weeks of the season, but after that it was a bit of a struggle.

Hughes threw his four-seam fastball 63.6% of the time this year, the cutter 16.4%, and the offspeed stuff the remaining 20%. He was even more predictable with two strikes, throwing either a four-seamer or cutter almost 85% of the time (I have it at 84.75%, unofficially). When you’re throwing some kind of fastball four out of every five pitches, it’s easy to see why hitters fouled off more than a quarter of his total pitches this season. Hughes simply got predictable, even more so the second and third times through the league.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/10/cuttin ... ree-36678/

^It's a shame that Joba is so bad, this way Hughes could have actually made some progress this year towards being a front of the rotation guy. He is basically gonna turn into a Burnett hybrid.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Isn't that crazy, that everything I said about the fear of him being a starter out of Spring Training came true? Nuts.

He couldn't put a damn Ranger away because he couldn't throw them anything but a FB.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:

lol are you kidding me? I didn't even bother to click the link but I don't care how early it is, any valuation system that projects Stubbs ahead of Cano is:
1.) Flawed
2.) Raises Red Flags about the validity of their other rankings
3.) Loses serious Credibility (really doesn't matter how early it is)

After watching everyone miss out on Cano because of flawed rankings that for some wierd odd reason suggested Brian Roberts would be superior, I am worried that flawed rankings might have the same effect with my many friends on this board.

Any valuation model that suggests Stubbs is a greater player over Cano (don't care how early it is, they shouldn't even happen in the first stages...) raises red flags, loses credibility, and shouldn't be used IMO.

So no, Im not wasting my time with it, just want to make sure no one else gets tricked by it because that is just plain ridiculous.

Surely a diehard Reds fan such as yourself can see Stubbs sneaking into the top 25 though ??

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers