100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No Ryne Sandberg in Chicago

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Ryne Sandberg in Chicago

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/n ... id=5703131

Cubs name Mike Quade manager

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs removed the interim tag from Mike Quade and named him the manager with a two-year deal and a club option for 2013, the team announced Tuesday.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: No Ryne Sandberg in Chicago

Postby RunReyesRun » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm

It will be interesting to see if Quade puts Rhino on his staff.

That'd be awkward.
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MTUCache » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:49 pm

RunReyesRun wrote:It will be interesting to see if Quade puts Rhino on his staff.

That'd be awkward.

Feedback on Chicago radio is that Rhino already told his agent to start looking into other organizations. Not exactly a "hometown" move, but you can't expect him to take too many slaps in the face for a completely different ownership group than he felt loyal to fifteen years ago.

Don't know if he'll get any of the plentiful openings this offseason, but I really don't see this turning out well for the Cubs. Quade may have had a good run to end the season, but I don't see them putting up a much better record next seasons without some significant roster moves. Another "rebuilding" season on the Northside, especially if that's while seeing Rhino succeed somewhere else, would be demoralizing for an already uninspired fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Rhino was the answer either, but most of the Cubs fans around here would have liked to have seen them at least try to make a splash, rather than just taking off the "interim" tag before the post season is over.

I really don't see why this move had to be made now. This could have just as easily been announced in January after they had made a legitimate run at some big name candidates. Even if they weren't intending to sign anyone big they could have at least made a show of trying to get somebody. They had to know how this was going to play out for Rhino when they announced this. They didn't really leave him any options, and whatever fans may have felt he was ready for the job are now just disgusted.

As it is right now it looks like they're either too scared to lose Quade or they're too lazy to even interview any candidates, but most of all they didn't think Sandberg was ready. Quade certainly didn't deserve any loyalty or "vote of confidence" based on a couple dozen meaningless games at the bottom of the NL Central.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 pm

so they thought he was the best man for the job ...

Quade has been a minor league manager for 17 years and Sandberg 4, it's not like he didn't earn his time.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:17 pm

bigken117 wrote:so they thought he was the best man for the job ...

Quade has been a minor league manager for 17 years and Sandberg 4, it's not like he didn't earn his time.

;-D ;-D
I don't blame Sandberg for looking into other opportunities but he should have expected to be handed the job.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:06 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't blame Sandberg for looking into other opportunities but he should have expected to be handed the job.

typo? Ryno should not have expected to be handed the job.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Return to Baseball Leftovers