News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This guy is awesome. Literally.

Haha...only in Eugene. :-b

I actually thought it was about you... 8-o :-b

maybe if it was Captain Douchebag
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

On the surface, this sounds really huge and awesome, but since Zuckerberg is involved, I can't help but think it'll end up being closer to weird, funny or pointless.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is among 17 US billionaires taking the pledge to donate the majority of their wealth to charity, organizers of the effort said Thursday.

The project launched this year by the two richest Americans, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, said a total of 57 individuals or families had now signed the "Giving Pledge."

"People wait until late in their career to give back. But why wait when there is so much to be done?" said Mark Zuckerberg, who is chief executive and president of Facebook and has a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine of 6.9 billion dollars.

"With a generation of younger folks who have thrived on the success of their companies, there is a big opportunity for many of us to give back earlier in our lifetime and see the impact of our philanthropic efforts."

Zuckerberg, 16 other billionaires sign charity pledge

My first two questions that come to mind:

1) Ok, so... when exactly?
2) What kinds of charities?

Maybe it's one of those "you'll know when it happens" kind of things.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm

zepfan wrote:On the surface, this sounds really huge and awesome, but since Zuckerberg is involved, I can't help but think it'll end up being closer to weird, funny or pointless.

I'm curious why you think that way.

Thing is, I'd wonder how much wealth Zuckerberg really has now. He's worth in between $6-13 billion dollars, with the high number depending on Facebook's supposed new market valuation of ~$50 billion. Much of that is in equity and because Facebook isn't publicly traded, it's really just speculated wealth at the moment. Of course, he gets a nice salary albeit a rather "ordinary" six-seven digit salary, which would be his present wealth notwithstanding other assets.

From what I understand, it's just a pledge, simple as. So, in the future, if Zuckerberg cashes out, the pledge will stand that he'll spend most of his wealth on philantrophic causes. Doesn't have to be a specific charity per se.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby zepfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:56 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
zepfan wrote:On the surface, this sounds really huge and awesome, but since Zuckerberg is involved, I can't help but think it'll end up being closer to weird, funny or pointless.

I'm curious why you think that way...

The idea is a good one but having Zuckerberg involved just seems like it cheapens the whole thing. From him saying that people are "dumb f****s" for trusting him with their personal info, to the ridiculous extremes he went to to avoid making the privacy settings easy to use, to trying to convince everyone that he's doing the world a great service by making your personal info available to anyone who wants it... Honestly I understand that just having facebook page means you're gonna have some info online, but him telling us what we want and then trying to be sneaky when people disagree makes me think "shady corporate spoiled billionaire" before "great philanthropist". I can't imagine he would be especially eager to give half of his money away when he doesn't seem to have any scruples about the way he obtains it. So this whole time he's been trying to manipulate people so he can make extra money to give to charity? Seems disingenuous at best coming from him.

Having said that, I do think the charity thing is a good initiative but I get the feeling it's more about spin and PR than it is about giving money to noble causes (at least in Zuckerman's case). When all is said and done, I really don't think Zuckerman is going to end up halving his bank account.

Mine own two cents, that's all. :-B

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm

zepfan wrote:The idea is a good one but having Zuckerberg involved just seems like it cheapens the whole thing. From him saying that people are "dumb f****s" for trusting him with their personal info, to the ridiculous extremes he went to to avoid making the privacy settings easy to use, to trying to convince everyone that he's doing the world a great service by making your personal info available to anyone who wants it... Honestly I understand that just having facebook page means you're gonna have some info online, but him telling us what we want and then trying to be sneaky when people disagree makes me think "shady corporate spoiled billionaire" before "great philanthropist". I can't imagine he would be especially eager to give half of his money away when he doesn't seem to have any scruples about the way he obtains it. So this whole time he's been trying to manipulate people so he can make extra money to give to charity? Seems disingenuous at best coming from him.

Well, Facebook didn't become big primarily due to Zuckerberg and Facebook's arrogance about privacy policy. I don't think that's entirely integral either to their success or failure as well. Facebook does contextual ads so well with the info you're willing to share (i.e. interests listed on profile) and provokes better engagement. The weakness with Facebook is, if any, is it's still a catch-all social network. Meaning, any drunken photos of myself will be shared amongst people I don't want for them to see, like employees, people I do business with, family, etc. Either Facebook creates micro-social networks within their own main network or someone else will, but I digress.

As for Zuckerberg himself, I agree that to a certain extent he's privileged. Corporate, I don't think so. It's laughable to think the typical Silicon Valley entrepreneur is corporate, but then again, I've worked in startups where the head honchos bring in bureaucracy and toxic political climate, to the extent I think that's a norm. Misunderstood, yes, like most entrepreneurs and self-made people are.

In the end, self-made people tend not to be so generous about their wealth, if you think about it. It's hard-earned wealth and some feel why in the world, should they give some of it. Honestly, I see Zuckerberg on the other end of the spectrum. People like him are not building a Facebook or Google primarily because of the money (well, yes, that's certainly one of the reasons), but because it's some kind of self-fulfilling adventure. Most entrepreneurs I've talked to feel the same way and I certainly do too. Win or lose, success or failure, they're in it for the ride. If they reach the top, they know where they came from and they want to contribute to society in other ways than in their line of work too.

Might be naive to think of Zuckerberg in that light, just like his stance on privacy, but from what I've read and from people who have met him, he's anything but the corporate spoiled billionaire you claim him to be. We'll see. Even then, it'll take some time for Zuckerberg to pocket that wealth anyway (unless Facebook IPO soon, but they've seemingly no interest).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Do any of these billionaires give away so much money that it affects their lives financially? I would applaud them if it meant these guys had to settle for a 60 foot yacht instead of an 80 foot yacht.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 pm

I'd say this is pretty pointless:

Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson split

Who had <3 years in the office pool?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Tis » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'd say this is pretty pointless:

It's hardly pointless when a first round pick in the draft becomes a free agent. O:-)
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'd say this is pretty pointless:

HOW COULD THE TWO MOST BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD NOT MAKE IT WORK? IF THEY CAN'T DO IT HOW CAN I HOLD OUT ANY HOPE FOR MYSELF???
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
HOW COULD THE TWO MOST BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD NOT MAKE IT WORK? IF THEY CAN'T DO IT HOW CAN I HOLD OUT ANY HOPE FOR MYSELF???

Next you'll find out that you're adopted. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1446)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk