News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:21 am

Thought this was just a really cool article about the Indians:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp16136

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby k.k. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:18 pm

~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:48 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Tavish wrote:While I completely agree with your philosophy on the matter and would hope that most teachers have the same type of common sense (doubtful though), I don't think this is the type of thing that needs to be legislated other than perhaps at the school district level. For one I have no clue how it could possibly be monitored other than in a reactive manner. IE using this as a basis for punishment when something did go wrong, but not having the power to actually prevent it. The other is there are a ton of problems that could arise out of trying to legislate this in broad strokes. What if the student is related to the teacher or if the student is homeschooled, etc?

I'm also curious about the phrasing of the law snippet the article posted. Do you see a need to also block former students?

Oh, I wasn't trying to advocate legislation, just that it's a good policy for one to have simply not being 'friends' with their students. I don't personally 'friend' former students, either, but it's just a matter of preference, really. Though some of the seniors from my first year are 22 - 23 now... :-?

Teachers are suing the state for their rights to play Farmville with students.

MSTA argues the law infringes on educators’ first amendment rights of free speech, association, and religion. The group is asking the court to keep that section of law from being implemented until the constitutionality can be determined.

“Many of our members are concerned about the unintended consequences of this law, including their ability to monitor their own children’s online activities,” Gail McCray, MSTA Legal Counsel, said in a statement. “It’s vague and more importantly, we believe it violates the constitutional rights of educators.”

“Plaintiffs have used and are using non-work-related social networking sites as an important avenue for contact with students, both during emergencies and for everyday educational issues, such as when a student has difficulty with a classroom assignment or identifying bullying,” the lawsuit states. “Senate Bill 54 makes it unlawful for Plaintiffs who are also parents of a child in the school district to communicate with her student/child via a non-work-related social networking site if there could be exclusive access.”

LINK

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby wrveres » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 am

The 51-year-old man was fined under article 215 of France’s civil code, which states married couples must agree to a “shared communal life”. A judge has now ruled that this law implies that “sexual relations must form part of a marriage”. The rare legal decision came after the wife filed for divorce two years ago, blaming the break-up on her husband’s lack of activity in the bedroom.

A judge in Nice, southern France, then granted the divorce and ruled the husband named only as Jean-Louis B. was solely responsible for the split. But the 47-year-old ex-wife then took him back to court demanding 10,000 euros in compensation for “lack of sex over 21 years of marriage”. The ex-husband claimed “tiredness and health problems” had prevented him from being more attentive between the sheets.

But a judge in the south of France’s highest court in Aix-en-Provence ruled: “A sexual relationship between husband and wife is the expression of affection they have for each other, and in this case it was absent.
“By getting married, couples agree to sharing their life and this clearly implies they will have sex with each other.”
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:52 pm

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I blame Obama. ??

I dont even understand the connection :-o
Is this some new internet meme ala "Blame Bush" or "Blame Gore" ... cus the man and his defenders will constantly remind you he is blameless for everything.
Im thinking this new meme wont fly.
It would assume some responsibility for something, and he has taken none.
he is still voting "present".
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 pm

wrveres wrote:I dont even understand the connection :-o

I blame Obama.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

:-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Apparently she is set on something higher than Miss Universe. Its sounds like she is angling for future Mrs Trump.
Miss Universe officials have a message for Catalina Robayo, Colombia's entry into Monday's contest: Don't forget to wear underwear. Robayo, one of 89 beauties from around the world competing to win the Donald Trump-owned contest, has been reprimanded for making appearance in tiny skirts - with no panties. "Colombia had to be spoken to and told she needed to wear underpants as what she was doing was totally inappropriate. People have been pretty upset by it; there have been photos and media appearances where she has completely had her crotch out."
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk