News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Tavish wrote:http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/missouri-bans-students-and-teachers-from-being-facebook-friends/2260
The new [Missouri] law bans direct social networking contact between teachers and students in the hopes of setting more distinct boundaries on the relationships between the two. Section 162.069 of the bill explains the social networking part in a bit more detail:

Teachers cannot establish, maintain, or use a work-related website unless it is available to school administrators and the child’s legal custodian, physical custodian, or legal guardian. Teachers also cannot have a nonwork-related website that allows exclusive access with a current or former student.

This implies that teachers will still be able to have a Facebook Page for interacting with students on a slightly more personal level, as long it’s still work-related. It’s the actual friending, messaging, and whatever other direct connection you can make on a social network that will not be allowed.

If this thing spreads, how will hort make any new Facebook friends?

This is really the way it should be. I have my account set up so that you can't even search for me, and just tell my students I don't have one when they ask me every single month. Maybe the only out and out lie I tell them.

I did consider starting an account just for my students, though, for posting assignments and such, only school related items, since there's a huge movement to 'meet them at their mediums' but then I just figured my wall would turn into a blog/YouTube comment section :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Tavish wrote:http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/missouri-bans-students-and-teachers-from-being-facebook-friends/2260
The new [Missouri] law bans direct social networking contact between teachers and students in the hopes of setting more distinct boundaries on the relationships between the two. Section 162.069 of the bill explains the social networking part in a bit more detail:

Teachers cannot establish, maintain, or use a work-related website unless it is available to school administrators and the child’s legal custodian, physical custodian, or legal guardian. Teachers also cannot have a nonwork-related website that allows exclusive access with a current or former student.

This implies that teachers will still be able to have a Facebook Page for interacting with students on a slightly more personal level, as long it’s still work-related. It’s the actual friending, messaging, and whatever other direct connection you can make on a social network that will not be allowed.

This is really the way it should be. I have my account set up so that you can't even search for me, and just tell my students I don't have one when they ask me every single month. Maybe the only out and out lie I tell them.

I did consider starting an account just for my students, though, for posting assignments and such, only school related items, since there's a huge movement to 'meet them at their mediums' but then I just figured my wall would turn into a blog/YouTube comment section :-b

While I completely agree with your philosophy on the matter and would hope that most teachers have the same type of common sense (doubtful though), I don't think this is the type of thing that needs to be legislated other than perhaps at the school district level. For one I have no clue how it could possibly be monitored other than in a reactive manner. IE using this as a basis for punishment when something did go wrong, but not having the power to actually prevent it. The other is there are a ton of problems that could arise out of trying to legislate this in broad strokes. What if the student is related to the teacher or if the student is homeschooled, etc?

I'm also curious about the phrasing of the law snippet the article posted. Do you see a need to also block former students?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 am

bigh0rt wrote:

i'd at least let the hot 18 year olds find out about it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 am

Tavish wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

While I completely agree with your philosophy on the matter and would hope that most teachers have the same type of common sense (doubtful though), I don't think this is the type of thing that needs to be legislated other than perhaps at the school district level. For one I have no clue how it could possibly be monitored other than in a reactive manner. IE using this as a basis for punishment when something did go wrong, but not having the power to actually prevent it. The other is there are a ton of problems that could arise out of trying to legislate this in broad strokes. What if the student is related to the teacher or if the student is homeschooled, etc?

I'm also curious about the phrasing of the law snippet the article posted. Do you see a need to also block former students?

Oh, I wasn't trying to advocate legislation, just that it's a good policy for one to have simply not being 'friends' with their students. I don't personally 'friend' former students, either, but it's just a matter of preference, really. Though some of the seniors from my first year are 22 - 23 now... :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Tavish wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This is really the way it should be. I have my account set up so that you can't even search for me, and just tell my students I don't have one when they ask me every single month. Maybe the only out and out lie I tell them.

Oh, I wasn't trying to advocate legislation, just that it's a good policy for one to have simply not being 'friends' with their students. I don't personally 'friend' former students, either, but it's just a matter of preference, really. Though some of the seniors from my first year are 22 - 23 now... :-?

one of my brothers friends is a teacher...he ran into a former student of his at the T-bar during his bachelor party :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:one of my brothers friends is a teacher...he ran into a former student of his at the T-bar during his bachelor party :-b
was she on stage?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

wrveres wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:one of my brothers friends is a teacher...he ran into a former student of his at the T-bar during his bachelor party :-b
was she on stage?

i assume so...that or she was peddling lappers
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby zepfan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 pm

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Jail Deputy In Trouble For Creating “Orgy-like” Atmosphere In Female Prison
Sentinel wrote:A Broward Sheriff’s Office jail deputy is accused of inappropriate behavior toward female inmates, in a case with claims of topless, dancing inmates, an “orgy”-like atmosphere and a text-messaged photo of a penis alongside a toothbrush. Deputy Mason Chibnick was found to have violated the code of ethics, failed to use good judgment and engaged in conduct unbecoming of a BSO employee. He was given a counseling slip advising him of the policies, and he was transferred to an all-male jail on his own request, public records say. Chibnick didn’t respond to a request for comment, but he denied any inappropriate contact or behavior in a sworn BSO statement, telling investigators that “if he were to return to his assignment with the female inmates, he would not do anything differently.” Among the allegations made by inmates or colleagues at Paul Rein Detention Facility in Pompano: that he passed greetings to inmates via a colleague, watched inmates perform sex acts on each other, tracked an inmate down on Facebook after she was released, text-messaged a photo of his penis alongside a toothbrush to the sister of one former inmate, entered a closet with a female inmate, sat on an inmate’s bunk bed, claimed inmates were “all over” him after he lost 50 pounds and allowed a permissive, “wild” atmosphere when he was in charge. Inmates said they regularly played Truth or Dare when he was on duty.

This dude has SWAG.

SOURCE
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Jail Deputy In Trouble For Creating “Orgy-like” Atmosphere In Female Prison
Sentinel wrote:A Broward Sheriff’s Office jail deputy is accused of inappropriate behavior toward female inmates, in a case with claims of topless, dancing inmates, an “orgy”-like atmosphere and a text-messaged photo of a penis alongside a toothbrush. Deputy Mason Chibnick was found to have violated the code of ethics, failed to use good judgment and engaged in conduct unbecoming of a BSO employee. He was given a counseling slip advising him of the policies, and he was transferred to an all-male jail on his own request, public records say. Chibnick didn’t respond to a request for comment, but he denied any inappropriate contact or behavior in a sworn BSO statement, telling investigators that “if he were to return to his assignment with the female inmates, he would not do anything differently.” Among the allegations made by inmates or colleagues at Paul Rein Detention Facility in Pompano: that he passed greetings to inmates via a colleague, watched inmates perform sex acts on each other, tracked an inmate down on Facebook after she was released, text-messaged a photo of his penis alongside a toothbrush to the sister of one former inmate, entered a closet with a female inmate, sat on an inmate’s bunk bed, claimed inmates were “all over” him after he lost 50 pounds and allowed a permissive, “wild” atmosphere when he was in charge. Inmates said they regularly played Truth or Dare when he was on duty.

This dude has SWAG.

text-messaged a photo of his penis alongside a toothbrush to the sister of one former inmate

:-b

SOURCE
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk