News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:A stern "no" or maybe a time out but you don't hit a 2 yr old. That's child abuse.

I'd smack you around if we ever met, and you're well younger than that.

:-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Tis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:15 am

Mookie4ever wrote:A stern "no" or maybe a time out but you don't hit a 2 yr old. That's child abuse.

I don't disagree that 2 years is too young. My problem is this:

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

That's way way too much subjective generalization for a judge. So if it was a 6 year old, its still a felony? An 8 year old? Couch the decision in terms of the young age of the kid, not a blanket prohibition on a sometimes perfectly legitimate parenting technique.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 am

I'm ambivalent on spanking kids as a general but corporal punishment of a 2 year old is ridiculous. They are pretty much completely incapable of learning right from wrong at that point and the only lasting effect will be a latent terror/dislike of their parents. It's pretty much just beating up a baby for the sake of beating up a baby and there should be mild legal consequences.

I think the fact that this was an extreme case was the basis for the ruling, and the quote may have been taken out of context for the sake of conciseness in the article, or in the worst case, bias by the author. For older kids that actually have the expectation of good behavior and the mental capacity of learning right from wrong, I'll wait until the courts punish people on a consistent basis for that to say they're overlegislating parenting.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:03 am

Tis wrote:

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

That's way way too much subjective generalization for a judge. So if it was a 6 year old, its still a felony? An 8 year old? Couch the decision in terms of the young age of the kid, not a blanket prohibition on a sometimes perfectly legitimate parenting technique.

I presumed the quote was pulled out of context in order to make it a news story.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Tis wrote:

I presumed the quote was pulled out of context in order to make it a news story.

x2

I have no faith in reporters. They'll get a story whether there's one there or not.

Even for a 6 or 8 yr old I'm against corporal punishment just because I don't think that it works as well as other forms of teaching.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I'm ambivalent on spanking kids as a general but corporal punishment of a 2 year old is ridiculous. They are pretty much completely incapable of learning right from wrong at that point and the only lasting effect will be a latent terror/dislike of their parents. It's pretty much just beating up a baby for the sake of beating up a baby and there should be mild legal consequences.

This is just about totally wrong. I can't speak from any other experience than my own, but the ONLY time I've ever spanked my child is when she was between two and maybe four years old. I don't think it was necessary after that. And, total, I'd say I probably did it three times, maybe less.

A swift shot to the butt is almost the only thing a very young child understands. You cannot reason with a two-year-old. You cannot "teach" them advanced concepts like morals or anything other than the most basic rights and wrongs. A swat to the butt that stings sends a very clear message to a child.

Of course you don't do it all the time, and of course you don't wale on your kid. If that's what this woman did, then she's wrong. But with a tender little two-year-old hiney, just about any swat is going to leave some kind of mark. On my kid it lasted all of one minute before fading. The tears stopped sooner, but the lesson lasted far longer.

This is the same kid who, as I typed that paragraph, just came in my office and gave me a hug and kiss. I doubt spanking her had any lasting detrimental effects. And now she's old enough to read this, and she's mad that I'm typing about her.

And I have to go because it's time for Mac & Cheese. That I'm making for the girl who loves me unconditionally, even though I spanked her when she was little.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:03 pm

The inside of the appliances (dishwashers), are the perfect breeding ground for fungi associated with potentially deadly illnesses. The moist and hot environment, combined with the alkaline water caused by the dishwasher tablets, means that the machines appear to have created a previously unknown and possibly serious threat to human health, the research paper has suggested.

The scientists studied 189 dishwashers in 101 different homes around the world. They found 62 per cent of dishwashers contained fungi on the rubber band in the door. More than half of these included the black yeasts Exophiala dermatitidis and E. phaeomuriformis which are known to be dangerous to human health. Writing in the journal Fungal Biology, Dr Polona Zalar of the University of Ljubljana, said that "the potential hazard they represent should not be overlooked". Her co-author Nina Gunde-Cimerman told The Daily Telegraph: "One thing that is not in the report is that we tested the dishes after they had been cleaned in these dishwashers and they were full of this black yeast, so too the cutlery that you put in your mouth. We just don't know how serious this could be." Black yeasts are particularly dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis, as they are able to attack the lungs. They have also been found to occasionally cause fatal infections in healthy humans.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby markj11 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am

knapplc wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:I'm ambivalent on spanking kids as a general but corporal punishment of a 2 year old is ridiculous. They are pretty much completely incapable of learning right from wrong at that point and the only lasting effect will be a latent terror/dislike of their parents. It's pretty much just beating up a baby for the sake of beating up a baby and there should be mild legal consequences.

This is just about totally wrong. I can't speak from any other experience than my own, but the ONLY time I've ever spanked my child is when she was between two and maybe four years old. I don't think it was necessary after that. And, total, I'd say I probably did it three times, maybe less.

A swift shot to the butt is almost the only thing a very young child understands. You cannot reason with a two-year-old. You cannot "teach" them advanced concepts like morals or anything other than the most basic rights and wrongs. A swat to the butt that stings sends a very clear message to a child.

Of course you don't do it all the time, and of course you don't wale on your kid. If that's what this woman did, then she's wrong. But with a tender little two-year-old hiney, just about any swat is going to leave some kind of mark. On my kid it lasted all of one minute before fading. The tears stopped sooner, but the lesson lasted far longer.

This is the same kid who, as I typed that paragraph, just came in my office and gave me a hug and kiss. I doubt spanking her had any lasting detrimental effects. And now she's old enough to read this, and she's mad that I'm typing about her.

And I have to go because it's time for Mac & Cheese. That I'm making for the girl who loves me unconditionally, even though I spanked her when she was little.

You don't know anything because you have kids, it's the people who don't have kids that know everything.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:36 am

wrveres wrote:
The inside of the appliances (dishwashers), are the perfect breeding ground for fungi associated with potentially deadly illnesses. The moist and hot environment, combined with the alkaline water caused by the dishwasher tablets, means that the machines appear to have created a previously unknown and possibly serious threat to human health, the research paper has suggested.

The scientists studied 189 dishwashers in 101 different homes around the world. They found 62 per cent of dishwashers contained fungi on the rubber band in the door. More than half of these included the black yeasts Exophiala dermatitidis and E. phaeomuriformis which are known to be dangerous to human health. Writing in the journal Fungal Biology, Dr Polona Zalar of the University of Ljubljana, said that "the potential hazard they represent should not be overlooked". Her co-author Nina Gunde-Cimerman told The Daily Telegraph: "One thing that is not in the report is that we tested the dishes after they had been cleaned in these dishwashers and they were full of this black yeast, so too the cutlery that you put in your mouth. We just don't know how serious this could be." Black yeasts are particularly dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis, as they are able to attack the lungs. They have also been found to occasionally cause fatal infections in healthy humans.

thanks for this. made my day. Pujols is injured, MadBum blew up my ERA and now I'm gonna die because I wash the dishes. just one bad thing after another here. I need a BigMac.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby thedude » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 pm

He got rid of the cash after a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland on the Isle of Lewis refused to accept them.

Other banks took similar precautions and refused to accept notes after being warned of a suspected counterfeiting operation in the Western Isles.

Stornoway Police launched an investigation but analysis by the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) confirmed that the money that was being refused on was in fact real.

The local businessman who took the drastic action of flushing away his money, said: "This is a right mess and it was caused by the RBS and Bank of Scotland.

"This is all about their failure to properly train their local staff on how to spot fake notes. I tore up the pounds20 notes returned to me by the bank as fakes and I put them down the toilet to stop them getting back into circulation.”

Man flushes real notes after bank says they are fake
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk