News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:45 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Metroid wrote:That's not a good analogy. The owner of the bungee jumping company doesn't put my life at risk because I don't chose to bungee jump. That's the difference, there is a choice, you know the danger, and sign a waiver. With drunk drivers they aren't giving you a choice, and you don't sign a waiver. They get in their car drunk and put others in serious danger without them knowing. Sure you don't mean to kill anyone, but you make the choice to get drunk and get behind the wheel of a car. If someone dies because of your negligence you should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I don't know if that should be the death penalty, I'm not going to get into that part of it, but you did make a premeditated decision to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated. And everyone else on the road is put in danger because of that choice. No other way around that.

This. seriously lol at that analogy. choosing to put your own life at risk is very different than someone else putting your life at risk without giving you a choice in the matter.

It's not a direct analogy to drunk driving, but your comment was "knowingly putting other people's lives at risk in practically murder." Regardless of whether or not I sign a waiver to go bungee jumping, you are still knowingly putting my life in danger by sending me up there, so regardless of my signature, by your definition that's practically murder.

Also, think about, relative to other laws, how harsh it would be to give someone the death penalty for their decision to drive drunk, as you expected. That's a far harsher punishment than for someone who commits rape, for example. If the punishment is to fit a crime, are you suggesting that driving drunk, which accidentally results in the death of someone else deserves are more serious punishment than violently raping someone (which is premeditated and intended)?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:48 am

Problem is, a good deal of drunk drivers aren't in the right frame of mind to premeditate their next course of action... to the point they're aware they've made the choice and/or that they remember it (of course, dependent on their level of intoxication). That doesn't excuse a drunk driver of a severe punishment for murder (like 50+ year sentence for Nick Adenhart's death), but that doesn't necessitate the death penalty.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:40 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:If the punishment is to fit a crime, are you suggesting that driving drunk, which accidentally results in the death of someone else deserves are more serious punishment than violently raping someone (which is premeditated and intended)?

i don't recall ever mentioning my views on rape. for all i care they should just kill off anyone who has shown they can't live in society without causing harm to other people. better than paying $40,000 a year to keep them in jail their whole lives.

btw, it's completely retarded that prisoners aren't forced to work to pay for at least part of their own upkeep.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:47 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Problem is, a good deal of drunk drivers aren't in the right frame of mind to premeditate their next course of action...

if you cannot stop yourself from getting behind a wheel when you're drunk, then don't get drunk. it's that easy. by choosing to get drunk, you know there's a chance you get behind the wheel and kill someone, and you should be held fully accountable for that.

but fine, if you want to avoid the death penalty, then you should have to pay or work off the cost of keeping you in jail. it's bs that we're forced to pay so much money in taxes because of terrible decisions that complete morons made.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:41 am

does level of intoxication or how the accident played out impact your decision about killing off these drains on our socioty?

additionally, I recently saw a perfectly sober 50 yr-old woman drive her car into a hair salon and injure someone pretty badly at 3 O'clock in the afternoon. somehow she lost control of her car (in a parking lot) and accidentally slammed on the accelerator when she meant to slam on the brakes. do you think she knows she's too stupid to drive? her stupidity is clearly putting lives in danger. how many years in prison should she have gotten for this incedent? how many years in prison should she get if she gets in another accident?

I understand your point and really I am just playing the role of devil's advocate... but at the same time feel like you are running down a very slippery slope here..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:06 am

StlSluggers wrote:
knapplc wrote:We're coming to the defense of drunk drivers now? What's next, defending child molesters?

Oh, wait...

I haven't seen anyone defend a child molester here... Yet.

I'm simply building my case...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:22 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I recently saw a perfectly sober 50 yr-old woman drive her car into a hair salon and injure someone pretty badly at 3 O'clock in the afternoon. somehow she lost control of her car (in a parking lot) and accidentally slammed on the accelerator when she meant to slam on the brakes.
this happens so often that most communities have laws on the books to deal with such things, and i am sure the laws are adequate. what he is suggesting is that the laws for drunk driving aren't severe enough. I tend to agree.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:33 am

wrveres wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:I recently saw a perfectly sober 50 yr-old woman drive her car into a hair salon and injure someone pretty badly at 3 O'clock in the afternoon. somehow she lost control of her car (in a parking lot) and accidentally slammed on the accelerator when she meant to slam on the brakes.
this happens so often that most communities have laws on the books to deal with such things, and i am sure the laws are adequate. what he is suggesting is that the laws for drunk driving aren't severe enough. I tend to agree.

sweet. so ten years from now, when I'm 50, I can run people down while stone sober and rid the world of my enemies and I'll get leniency because my age affects my ability to make decisions. Gotcha.

I'm also playing devil's advocate.
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 am

i don't recall ever mentioning my views on rape. for all i care they should just kill off anyone who has shown they can't live in society without causing harm to other people. better than paying $40,000 a year to keep them in jail their whole lives.

btw, it's completely retarded that prisoners aren't forced to work to pay for at least part of their own upkeep.

Real quick, I'll mention first that I completely agree with the last statement you made. Prisoners should absolutely be forced to pay off the cost of keeping them in jail.

The point I was trying to make with the rape example is that you are getting into tough territory by suggesting a crime like drunk driving could result in the death penalty, because then I think you need to make any equal or harsher crime have the death penalty as well, which results in us killing off way too many people. I in no way support drunk driving, and I think the punishments should certainly be harsher than they are, but when you start making huge punishments for drunk driving, you start setting a precedent of for major punishments for non-violent crimes.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:36 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

sweet. so ten years from now, when I'm 50, I can run people down while stone sober and rid the world of my enemies and I'll get leniency because my age affects my ability to make decisions. Gotcha.

I'm also playing devil's advocate.

once you hit a certain age you should have to take yearly driving tests. if you fail the test then your license should be revoked.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk