News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:17 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't believe he broke the law in order to change it. I think he got arrested for breaking a law that shouldn't exist and I hope his case results in it getting changed.

Doesn't really matter to me "why" he broke the law, but if he wanted to challenge it, then he could have challenged it without breaking the law. That's all I was saying.

So are you going to start campaigning for a true free speech law? One where you can yell fire in a theater, threaten the president, threaten others, drop the F-word at will in public? If any of those laws you feel are valid, I don't see how you can protect a pedophile teaching other pedophiles and would-be pedophiles how to get away with raping children.

I wasn't trying to figure out what you meant, I was responding to exactly what you said, which was a ridiculous strawman. Nobody was saying anything in support of child rape, yet you brought it up as if you were making some grand point and showing a flaw in what the rest of us were saying. I didn't ask what you meant until you told me you didn't say anything like that, which made me think maybe I was confused. Good to know I wasn't, and that you just cannot recognize a strawman when it's your own.

I made no argument, simply an observation, so the strawman is out the window. You yourself told me to look it up, I suggest you do the same. If I made no argument, how is it a strawman? ;-)

Of course not everything in the world is, but this case definitely is. You cannot possibly be any more wrong about this particular subject. This is absolutely a free speech issue. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it and no way around it. Continuing to deny it doesn't make you right, it just makes you wrong more often. Even the people that essentially agree with you in this thread recognize this as a free speech issue, but feel that this particular speech shouldn't be protected.

There's a difference in speech and decency. Simple as that. And the idiot in question didn't get arrested for breaking any speech laws.

Ha! I'd probably still be spelling it wrong if you hadn't pointed it out to me before.

And with that, I must bid this thread adieu. I hope everyone has a good Christmas!

Bye. Have a safe and happy Christmas.

The author said he had no copies of the book left and that he sent the police his personal copy.

Ok, so the only copy sold was the one the cops bought. I was wondering if they could somehow get the records of who bought the books.

Of course that's what he "says", he's got to protect his customers and avoid further charges. The question is if anyone on the face of the Earth believes him. And of course the answer is "no". He wrote 1 book to sell 1 copy of on Amazon? The BS meter is off the charts without going any further than that. But, he wrote a book and doesn't have a copy anywhere (highly unlikely)? Was it handwritten and stapled together (doubtful)?

There's no way he wrote 1 book by hand, stapled it together (or paperclip), didn't keep a copy, loaded it on Amazon, to sell 1 time.

pedosexuals

Seriously?

I have no doubt he'll get a trial and be found guilty.
I also have no doubt that the appeals process will overturn the Florida law.

The legal process holds poor laws accountable if they overstep the Constitution.

I seriously doubt it gets overturned. As I pointed out before, things are getting more and more strict, not the opposite.

I can't believe anyone is defending the author, the book, or his rights to write a book about pedophilia as ok.

Yep, the things people defend keeps getting worse and worse.

i find it interesting that you assume the weirdo is honest and truthful ..

and that district attorney is shady ..

Agreed, but that is the way things are around here. Gotta love it. :-/

I do find it interesting that there is only one state in the union that possesses laws being violated as described in this case.

Has that been proven? Quite possibly the sheriff was simply posturing in an effort to make Florida look like they were the only ones with the stones to deal with this sicko (or simply the first to go after him). No different than here in Texas, "We have the death penalty, and WE USE IT!" You hear that saying all the time, comedy, news, etc. Now does that mean other states don't? Of course not, Texas isn't the only state with the death penalty. So I'm not convinced that Florida is the only state with a decency law that forbids producing and selling a publication detailing how to stalk out the child, rape the child, and get away with it. If they are in fact the only ones, the other 49 states should be ashamed of themselves and draft new laws immediately.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:50 am

wrveres wrote:i find it interesting that you assume the weirdo is honest and truthful ..

i think that is simply a commentary on the state of politics in this country
in this case, i see an overly-politicized situation with a local politician soap-boxing on the national stage in a challenge to a form of speech
as a matter of practice, i'm going to assume that guy's full of crap as a default and work my way up from there
maybe Florida end up being right and the SC agrees with them. good for them. i'll change my mind about them
but until then, i'm sticking to the idea that self-serving politicians are the lowest life forms on the planet
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:56 pm

did anyone win yet?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:did anyone win yet?

I did. Previous page. What you're reading now is all post-game.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:did anyone win yet?

I did. Previous page. What you're reading now is all post-game.

Yeah, I think we played a good game today. All credit to the other guys, they played their hearts out.
Now, we're gonna go back and start planning on tomorrow. These guys are tough, but the other side is tough, too.
We don't want to get complacent. We need to keep on winning.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 pm

Man's penis amputated following misdiagnosis

1. "it took five months before he was able to schedule an appointment at the hospital." - Sentences like this make Americans afraid of socialized health care.
2. He's also being charged with rape, because the nurse saw his penis and thought it was gross looking. Sweden!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 am

Perhaps this is in poor taste, but once you're penis is gone, does that make you, ya know...a woman?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 am

StlSluggers wrote:Man's penis amputated following misdiagnosis

1. "it took five months before he was able to schedule an appointment at the hospital." - Sentences like this make Americans afraid of socialized health care.
2. He's also being charged with rape, because the nurse saw his penis and thought it was gross looking. Sweden!

And the fact that most people get horrible (if any) health care despite paying way too much money barely even gets noticed. It's so simple to trick those poor people, just tell them it's about freedom and that they can keep their guns and they'll be happy. U-S-A!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 am

Oh god, we just had a way too long serious conversation in this thread, can we please not start a healthcare debate here as well?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:47 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Perhaps this is in poor taste, but once you're penis is gone, does that make you, ya know...a woman?

If your testicles go missing as well....then yes. :-b

Seriously though, it takes a lot more than lack of a penis to make a woman.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk