News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 pm

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:for a comedy? are you being serious? are you really trying to compare the two?

You really expected someone to be able to make a case for the guy? All they've got is stuff like this. :-b

i understand their point of view, and agree with it to a point. Im all for free speech. But there are certain things in this world you can't do. You cant say bomb on an airplane, you'll get arrested. You can't threaten the president, you'll get arrested.

I am pro adding, you can't write a book about slipping things into little boy butt. its so over the line that i'd support a constitutional amendment.

At the minimum, the guy needs mental help. Hopefully he gets that help now.

Strange day when wr and I have the exact same opinion about something.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:10 pm

I can't believe anyone is defending the author, the book, or his rights to write a book about pedophilia as ok.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:48 pm

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Related: we were just watching Manswers at a friend's house and there was a segment detailing the best way to dispose of a dead body. Mad, should they bring the producers up on charges, yes/no?

for a comedy? are you being serious? are you really trying to compare the two?

Oh, so if the author of the book made some jokes in it, it would be perfectly legal and no one would have a problem with it? Nice. :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 pm

bigken117 wrote:I can't believe anyone is defending the author, the book, or his rights to write a book about pedophilia as ok.

I don't think ANYONE is saying that a how-to book to abuse children is anything but reprehensible. Just being in favor of allowing the KKK to march and practice hate speech doesn't make me a racist and being in favor of gay marriage doesn't mean I'm a gay homosexual myself. This gains sort of an exception because this guy really needs to shut the hell up, but I don't want it setting a dangerous precedent to carry on to other things.

But if the book is really as he claims and it isn't a how-to guide or anything, and all it does is give "advice that purportedly allows pedophiles to abide by the law", then it's pretty much the opposite of what people are claiming. If the only part that advocates a pedophile acting on his urges are a couple short stories from the child's point of view, and it doesn't include instructions on how to get away with it, then it's nothing but a disgusting but ultimately harmless fantasy.

The fact that it was written from a child's point of view kind of makes me wonder...isn't getting sexually abused as a child one of the main causes of pedophilia? What if he's just channeling his own personal experiences getting abused as a child into his writing?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Also, that one quote by the arresting sheriff is really weird:

"The guy is clearly trying to instruct people how to sexually abuse children," Judd said after Greaves was led inside the jail. "A step-by-step instruction guide with real-life examples? That's against the obscenity law in Florida and we're excited to take it to court."

Has it been proven that his "stories" were real-life examples or is this Judd guy just twisting reality because "real-life examples" sounds scarier and more threatening than "hypothetical situations"?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 pm

i find it interesting that you assume the weirdo is honest and truthful ..
Neato Torpedo wrote:But if the book is really as he claims and it isn't a how-to guide or anything, and all it does is give "advice that purportedly allows pedophiles to abide by the law", then it's pretty much the opposite of what people are claiming. If the only part that advocates a pedophile acting on his urges are a couple short stories from the child's point of view, and it doesn't include instructions on how to get away with it, then it's nothing but a disgusting but ultimately harmless fantasy.

and that district attorney is shady ..
Neato Torpedo wrote:Also, that one quote by the arresting sheriff is really weird:
"The guy is clearly trying to instruct people how to sexually abuse children," Judd said after Greaves was led inside the jail. "A step-by-step instruction guide with real-life examples? That's against the obscenity law in Florida and we're excited to take it to court."

Has it been proven that his "stories" were real-life examples or is this Judd guy just twisting reality because "real-life examples" sounds scarier and more threatening than "hypothetical situations"?

has it been proven. well none of us here have seen the book.
that's what the trial is for.

Officials said the book talks about safe sex and avoiding injury to children, grooming and preparing children for sex and teaching children how to lie to their parents. Judd said Greaves' book outlines a "code of ethics" that shows pedophiles how to look for the most vulnerable children

of course the DA is just a liar though ... ;-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Related: we were just watching Manswers at a friend's house and there was a segment detailing the best way to dispose of a dead body. Mad, should they bring the producers up on charges, yes/no?

for a comedy? are you being serious? are you really trying to compare the two?

Oh, so if the author of the book made some jokes in it, it would be perfectly legal and no one would have a problem with it? Nice. :-b

see, i know you are smarter than that. so i'll just let you have your fun playing with straw. enjoy
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:15 pm

So here's my one post/thoughts on the matter, in case anybody cares...

I don't know how common books 'like' this one are (how to get away with murder, how to build/conceal a bomb, how to do any other widely accepted wrong/evil/disgusting act, etc. etc.). The notion of the entire premise of the book is disgusting, vile, and stomach twisting. The fact that there exist people capable of the thoughts that I imagine are depicted in this book or any book of this nature is troubling. As somebody who has worked with children my entire life, from counseling to teaching, it makes me sad, and terrifies me of my future as a parent. The subject matter is some of the touchiest that exists; even people who are widely considered 'sickos' by society in general are largely disgusted by child predators, with perfectly good reason. The aforementioned is what drives a lot of people, I imagine, to want the book thrown at this guy, and for him to be bludgeoned by it. When you think about this with your heart, that, I feel, is a completely reasonable conclusion to draw. I mean, as a teacher, what if this book were 'How to Shoot Up Your School and Get Away With It (Hypothetically)'? I wonder how I'd feel? I wonder if such a book already exists?

All that said, I keep thinking back to the people who find Playboy indecent in the same vein that they would consider this book indecent. There are people who find nudity just as vile as this; and we're talking about polar ends of the spectrum here; let us not forget the entire array that exists between the two -- from rape to murder to torture to terror, so on and so forth. I'm no law guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I do find it interesting that there is only one state in the union that possesses laws being violated as described in this case. As disgusted as I am by the entire scenario, I'm not sure if decency laws that should or shouldn't exist were violated as has been argued, or that this man should be able to express himself freely in this fashion as others have argued.

The most interesting point I've gathered in reading through here came from Mookie (go figure) citing the potential endangerment of others from this book. I keep coming back to that. Weighing the acts of actual child molesters and predators With vs. Without the existence of this book is a trivial act, since some will argue that they would do it anyway, while others would argue the contrary that this book would provide them with ideas, strategies, even suggestions for some who would otherwise not partake. God knows this isn't all as black and white as some have attempted to outline it to be here (and if you're going to argue that it is, you're simply ignoring information contrary to your own argument).

The book disgusts and troubles me. But I'm not sure if I'm placing the onus on the author or the potential predators who would be reading/using it. I'm also not sure, if I were to place the onus on the author, exactly what other similarly written 'how to' books I would give green lights to vs. where I would draw the line.

Alright, I'll zip up now and you all can go back to pissing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm

wrveres wrote:i find it interesting that you assume the weirdo is honest and truthful ..
Neato Torpedo wrote:But if the book is really as he claims and it isn't a how-to guide or anything, and all it does is give "advice that purportedly allows pedophiles to abide by the law", then it's pretty much the opposite of what people are claiming. If the only part that advocates a pedophile acting on his urges are a couple short stories from the child's point of view, and it doesn't include instructions on how to get away with it, then it's nothing but a disgusting but ultimately harmless fantasy.

and that district attorney is shady ..
Neato Torpedo wrote:Also, that one quote by the arresting sheriff is really weird:

Officials said the book talks about safe sex and avoiding injury to children, grooming and preparing children for sex and teaching children how to lie to their parents. Judd said Greaves' book outlines a "code of ethics" that shows pedophiles how to look for the most vulnerable children

of course the DA is just a liar though ... ;-)

I said "if". This wouldn't be the first time someone exaggerated a story for publicity. Only one side of the story is being spread around and only like 5 people in the world have actually read the book, so until we receive objective information or the actual content of the book is released, I'm going to reserve judgment. And I'm not saying this weirdo is anything but messed up, but it may be a different kind of messed up than we all believe.

Yet everyone here is saying burn him, torture him, etc. If the jury decides that 1) it is indeed an instruction manual, and 2) it's legal to enforce Florida's laws in Colorado if the willingness to sell across state lines is a valid argument, then we will have reached a conclusion.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:29 pm

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:for a comedy? are you being serious? are you really trying to compare the two?

see, i know you are smarter than that. so i'll just let you have your fun playing with straw. enjoy

No, seriously. The show may be framed in comedy and busty models, but as far as I can tell, they do advertise their advice as reflective of reality. Why shouldn't advice on how to cover up a murder at least be pulled from television? And another example would be Nabokov's Lolita. Though it's fictional, it describes in detail an adult's sexual relationship with a 12 year old girl. What do we do with that?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk