News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm

knapplc wrote:I'm going to go ahead and be politically incorrect and side with keeping kids safe from predators.

I would far rather "rights be trampled" and make children more safe than protecting some nebulous set of "rights" people dreamed up.


exactly this.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14141
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm going to go ahead and be politically incorrect and side with keeping kids safe from predators.

I would far rather "rights be trampled" and make children more safe than protecting some nebulous set of "rights" people dreamed up.


exactly this.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that supporting this guy is the politically correct thing to do.

In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that supporting this guy is the politically correct thing to do.

In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite.


Frankly, I don't care what anyone calls it. Burn him.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 am

Madison wrote:Accusing someone of having a "strawman" argument is an acceptance that you cannot refute what is being said. Get with the times Art. :-b

You brought up an argument than nobody was making (people being in favor of child rape), then proceeded to debase the point as if you were refuting someone. That's the very definition of a straw man argument. I can refute what you say while pointing out strawmen. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Madison wrote:And sure, prosecute me for saying pedophiles should be tortured and killed. Toss your own "free speech" mumbo-jumbo out the window. That's the way to win your argument. ;-D

Anyone reading this, yourself included, realizes that I don't actually think you should be arrested, but am instead pointing our the irony in you saying someone should be killed for advocating breaking the law while you yourself are advocating breaking the law. I think you should be able to say people should be chopped into pieces just as I think someone should be able to describe raping a child. If either of you actually performs the action rather than simply describe it, I'll take exception.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 am

Tis wrote:Related question: If some pedophile does use the book, and admits it (or there is ample evidence of it), could the author be an accessory/accomplice?

This is a legitimate question, I suppose, by my answer would be no, I hope the author couldn't be charged. Just like I hope the author of a gun manual wouldn't be liable if someone uses his instructions to use a gun to kill someone.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 am

StlSluggers wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm going to go ahead and be politically incorrect and side with keeping kids safe from predators.

I would far rather "rights be trampled" and make children more safe than protecting some nebulous set of "rights" people dreamed up.


exactly this.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that supporting this guy is the politically correct thing to do.

In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite.

haha...glad someone else said it...somehow I don't thin supporting the right of an apparent pedophile to print and distribute this kind of trash is politically expedient to anyone.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:18 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:... you need to look a little closer. :-D


Shoot me a PM if you need to because I honestly don't know which story it is you want me to read. There are a bunch of different ones.

I didn't want to c&p it, because then I'd have to put it in the pic thread. I guess it was a little too subtle, though.

Image

Why yes... I did mean that. :-D

Madison wrote:And what's up with "safari"? I thought Firefox was what all the cool kids are doing nowadays? :-b

Got me. Wasn't my link.


Ok, the point of the link is still flying right over my head. :*)

You used someone else's link? Not sure why, but that cracked me up. :-b

Sicko, yes, but it's still a terrible precedent to disregard law just because purple aren't happy


Disregard an irrelevant law (free speech) and enforce the law that's broken (decency laws). Again, this entire thing has nothing to do with free speech, and even if you want to twist it that far, there are still rules and boundaries on free speech. Like it or not, free speech does not give anyone the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want. Simple fact. You'd have better luck defending this guy by saying the decency laws he broke are subjective and not fair, rather than trying to defend him with free speech laws.

isn't this entrapment? (of madison)


:-b

Actually I'm having fun with this one.

Under Florida law, it is a third-degree felony to sell or distribute "written or printed story or article, writing or printed matter based on materials that depict a minor engaged in any act or conduct that is harmful to minors."


By golly, the guy broke a law and it had zero to do with free speech. Dang! Now who was it that was saying just that? ;-7

the obscenity case will come down to "community standards" and whether a Polk County jury finds the book not only offensive, but of no redeeming social value.


If a prosecutor can't get a jury to convict, then not only should he lose his job, but Florida should be blown off the face of America and turned into an island for prisoners. Needless to say, the "guilty" verdict is already in. There's no way he doesn't get convicted.

You brought up an argument than nobody was making (people being in favor of child rape), then proceeded to debase the point as if you were refuting someone. That's the very definition of a straw man argument. I can refute what you say while pointing out strawmen. The two aren't mutually exclusive.


Actually, you guys are arguing "free speech" this and "free speech" that when free speech is irrelevant to the discussion. The idiot broke decency laws. That is the situation before us and you cannot refute the fact that he broke those laws, so it is of no surprise to see you lob the strawman out there to try to distract from the fact you are wrong.

Anyone reading this, yourself included, realizes that I don't actually think you should be arrested, but am instead pointing our the irony in you saying someone should be killed for advocating breaking the law while you yourself are advocating breaking the law. I think you should be able to say people should be chopped into pieces just as I think someone should be able to describe raping a child. If either of you actually performs the action rather than simply describe it, I'll take exception.


You wanted to be silly saying it to begin with, so I ran with it. Two can play that game, no?

And frankly, if you don't see the difference in me saying a pedophile should be chopped up into pieces and someone writing a book on how to rape children and get away with it, you seriously don't understand the free speech law to begin with (or you do understand it, but refuse to acknowledge the facts about it - like the "F" word being illegal in public). Not that free speech has anything to do with this of course, it's decency laws he broke.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:22 am

StlSluggers wrote: And I'm not talking about McCarthy kind of prosecution, unless you want to be associated with the Salem witch trials and the Spanish Inquisition, or Barry Bonds.

It cracks me up, all this talk about saving the tax payers money.
Barry has had the right to remain silent for about 7 years now. Four grand Juries. All to smear, yes smear, a potential user.

Wheres the outrage?

As for this "scribe"!
Let him take it to the courts. If a District Attorney feels he has a case, awesome.
I say they show this scribe what violent rape feels like. If the people of Florida are outraged for wasting their money, they'll vote him out. period.

Besides, laws need to be tested at he highest level sometimes. He was arrested because they could. If he has a case, so be it.
If he wins, fine.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm going to go ahead and be politically incorrect and side with keeping kids safe from predators.

I would far rather "rights be trampled" and make children more safe than protecting some nebulous set of "rights" people dreamed up.


exactly this.


But the problem is, where do you draw the line? Sure, you don't want to support this scum bucket, but the point is, there are going to be much more mild versions of such activities, so what do you do in those cases? If you don't abide by the free speech laws, you get into a sticky situation where the authorities are making judgement calls constantly to determine if something is "bad" enough to make it illegal. Also, the problem is, once you get into judgement calls, people won't know what they can and can't do. So as much as I hate to say it, I think you have to protect this guy's right to free speech.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3542
(Past Year: 32)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 am

This isn't nearly as cut and dry as opposing sides here are making it out to be I think (surprise, surprise). I think the real criminals here would be the ones who take this book and put it into action. Is he a sicko for writing such text? In my opinion, yes, though I don't know that he should be persecuted by law for it. There are folks out there who would argue that Playboy violates 'decency' laws, I'm sure.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact