News of the weird/funny/pointless - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

News of the weird/funny/pointless

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: News of the weird/funny/pointless

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Boulder man shoots self while sleepwalking

A 63-year-old Boulder man accidentally shot himself in the knee around 2 a.m. Tuesday, apparently while sleepwalking, police said.

Sanford Rothman, who lives on Mineola Court in southeastern Boulder, told police he woke up to a "bang" and discovered he was shot in the left knee. He said he did not have a clear recollection of the incident.

Rothman was taken to Boulder Community Hospital, where he was treated and released, police said.

An investigation found that the wound was accidental and most likely occurred while Rothman was sleepwalking.

Boulder police Sgt. Paul Reichenbach said that according to the police report, Rothman keeps a 9mm handgun near his bed, and he takes prescription medication for pain. No alcohol or illegal drugs played a role in the incident.

Reichenbach said no one else was in the house at the time.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Mother Pleads Guilty to Murdering Baby After Interrupting Her “FarmVille” Game

A 22-year-old mother from Jacksonville, Florida, has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for shaking her 3-month-old son to death after his crying interrupted her FarmVille game.

The mother, Alexandra V. Tobias, was arrested in January and declared her plea on Wednesday before Circuit Judge Adrian G. Soud, The Florida Times-Union reports.

She told investigators that she shook the baby, smoked a cigarette “to compose herself,” and proceeded to shake him again. The baby may have hit his head during one of the two shakings, she said.

8-o 8-o 8-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Related:

Time Magazine Names Foursquare and Farmville Among Worst Inventions

Farmville made the list for being a time-suck and an addicting game that Dan Fletcher says is “hardly even a game,” but instead a “series of mindless chores.”
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Jesus. What is wrong with people? How could you do that to your baby over anything, let alone farmville.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:41 pm

Foursquare is pretty useful, actually. I've discovered a couple of good restaurants and places through 4sq outside my neighborhood that I wouldn't otherwise go to. Sure, the check-in system can be abused (I've had friends who check in at 10 places in a 3 minute span which would otherwise be impossible) but for the most part, it's a nice application. Not sure I'd call it an "invention" though, seeing how it's inevitable that location-based services will be the next big market (even Facebook & Twitter are on it).

Farmville is useless, but I do admire the company's success though. Zynga was founded about 3 years ago and they're growing at a faster clip than even Facebook has, as far as getting users and revenues go (to be fair, they wouldn't be where they are without FB). True, there's nothing world-beating or revolutionary on paper about Farmville or Zynga in general, which makes what Zynga has done all the more impressive.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:02 pm

It's beisbol related, but I think it belongs here.

Cubs bullpen catcher ticketed during stop that nets 8.4 pounds of pot

The Nebraska State Patrol found 8.4 pounds of marijuana during a traffic stop of a pickup driving past Lincoln on Saturday.

And the driver of the pickup, Corey Miller, 34, gave a unique answer when Trooper Mark White asked about his job.

"I asked what he did for a living and he said that he was a catcher for the Cubs," the affidavit states.

Technically, he is.

Miller has been employed as a bullpen catcher for the Chicago Cubs since the 2007 season, Peter Chase, director of media relations with the team, said Friday.

He was ticketed Saturday on suspicion of possession of marijuana.

A woman in the truck, Maria Myaskovsky, 26, of Madera, Calif., was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver.

According to Nebraska State Patrol spokeswoman Deb Collins, Miller was stopped for speeding 71 in a 65 mph zone while traveling eastbound on Interstate 80 near mile marker 399.

White interviewed the two adults in the truck, Miller and Myaskovsky. An infant was also in the truck, according to the incident report.

According to the affidavit for Myaskovsky's arrest, her and Miller's stories didn't match up.

Miller said the two were newly married and on their way from California to Chicago. Myaskovsky said she was Miller's fiance and that they were driving from California to Chicago and back.

The affidavit states that the trooper became suspicious following the interviews and a background check which showed several prior arrests of Myaskovsky.

He asked Miller for consent to search the truck, and he granted it, according to the affidavit.

Inside a suitcase packed in the truck, the trooper discovered a plastic baby formula bag that contained a small baggie of marijuana and a marijuana pipe.

The trooper then searched another suitcase that contained men's clothing and discovered 8.4 pounds of pot packaged in plastic bags and wrapped in dryer sheets.

Interviews conducted by the trooper led investigators to believe that Myaskovsky was responsible for packing the drugs, according to the probable cause affidavit.

"With the circumstances at hand, Maria was jailed and Corey was cited and released due to the infant in the vehicle and needing someone to care for the child," the affidavit states.

Miller was given a warning for speeding, and cited and released for possession of marijuana, Collins said.

Myaskovsky was charged Monday in Lancaster County Court with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. She pleaded not guilty and posted 10 percent of her $25,000 bond to be released from jail.

Chase said the team is looking into the incident.

"Corey is a contracted associate with the Cubs, and his contract expires Nov. 1," Chase said.

"We're currently in a fact-finding stage and obviously this would be a matter we would take very seriously."

Here's the little dish he was with. Cute, in a mousy sort of way:

And here's a picture of Marisa Miller at a Cubs game. Couldn't find one of Corey Miller, and frankly, who cares? I'll pitch and she can catch.

Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 pm

You couldn't get the pic of her in the painted jersey? :-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:33 am

He was pulled over for going 6 MPH over the limit on a highway? Up here in Canadia, you'll never get a speeding ticket unless you're going at least 20+ km/h over. And damn that girl he was with is cute, and it's a no-makeup mug shot. I'd forgive her for causing me to lose my job.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby markj11 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 am

Skin Blues wrote:He was pulled over for going 6 MPH over the limit on a highway? Up here in Canadia, you'll never get a speeding ticket unless you're going at least 20+ km/h over. And damn that girl he was with is cute, and it's a no-makeup mug shot. I'd forgive her for causing me to lose my job.

No doubt he picked her up with this line:

he said that he was a catcher for the Cubs
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Foursquare is pretty useful, actually.

Totally agreed. When I was in LA, Foursquare netted me a lot of good food joints to check out.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk