Buster Posey - a little closer look - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buster Posey - a little closer look

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buster Posey - a little closer look

Postby J35J » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:15 am

So I'm starting on my spreadsheet for next year when I get to Buster Posey. What a great rookie year, right? I mean he flat raked, right.....yes and no. He absolutely destroyed July... 103AB .416/.466/.699 8-o Whoa! But what about the rest of the year.... 303AB .267/.316/.439 huh? He's also more a ground ball hitter who had a solid HR/FB ratio this year...it wouldn't suprise me if his 18hr in 406AB is more than what he puts up in 2011 in 520ABs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Posey and think he's a pretty solid hitter who will see alot of ABs and will get to do his damage in the heart of the order but he does have some warts and growing pains ahead of him, IMO. He might be an early candidate for my 2011 overrated list....What say you?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buster Posey - a little closer look

Postby kab21 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Does this mean that a guy like McCann is going to be on sale?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 pm

I think a lot depends on how they use him next year. He only caught 76 games this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 am

J35J wrote:So I'm starting on my spreadsheet for next year when I get to Buster Posey. What a great rookie year, right? I mean he flat raked, right.....yes and no. He absolutely destroyed July... 103AB .416/.466/.699 8-o Whoa! But what about the rest of the year.... 303AB .267/.316/.439 huh? He's also more a ground ball hitter who had a solid HR/FB ratio this year...it wouldn't suprise me if his 18hr in 406AB is more than what he puts up in 2011 in 520ABs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Posey and think he's a pretty solid hitter who will see alot of ABs and will get to do his damage in the heart of the order but he does have some warts and growing pains ahead of him, IMO. He might be an early candidate for my 2011 overrated list....What say you?

as a rookie catcher he had a lot on his plate with learning the pitching staff and becoming a better receiver and ball blocker. he also caught every single game down the stretch and only got a day off when the team had an off-day. he definitely was getting heavy legs as the season wore on.

he also hit the ball quite hard in september but a lot of those balls found gloves as can be seen by the .198 BABIP. he had his highest walk rate in september and hit 8 home runs, more than he hit in july. he hits the ball to all field and has a great opposite field approach. they showed a graphic during the playoff game where out of his ~120 hits almost exactly 40 went to each field. the one thing i can see hurting his value a bit is that he hits so many balls to the opposite field which in AT&T could deflate his power numbers. he hit 8 homeruns to the right of center field this year and it's ridiculously hard for RHHs to go opposite field at AT&T. that said, he definitely has 20 homerun power and should be a perennial .300 hitter. he also has the clean up spot in the line up pretty much locked up which provides plenty of value on its own.

obviously i have some giants bias going on here but i watch him play pretty much every game and i think i'd rather have him than mccann next year. a little less power, with more average and better RBI/run numbers. that said, he does come with more risk than mccann, but i think it's a trade off worth making.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 am

Let Carlos Santana sleep. Keep sleeping, my sweet prince.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:01 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Let Carlos Santana sleep. Keep sleeping, my sweet prince.

:-b
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Updated scouting report on Buster:

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/10/09/buster-posey-updated-report#more-9329

Quick and short, uses all fields, quickly adjusts when he doesn’t let a ball get to him; very sure of his hands and swing. Not a lot of moving parts, hands always in good hitting position and quickly. Power to all fields – one ball out to right field on an easy swing – gets the barrel where it can do greatest amount of damage in as little time as possible.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Nice GB%

Posey will Delmon

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am

DaSh 1s wrote:Let Carlos Santana sleep. Keep sleeping, my sweet prince.

:-B
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:01 pm

J, what do your supremely early projections for Posey vs. Santana look like?? These are surely the two hottest keeper backstops in fantasy right now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers