Still think ESPN has a North-East Bias? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Still think ESPN has a North-East Bias?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Still think ESPN has a North-East Bias?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:47 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I've noticed a ton of you complaining about fluff and how the people aren't serious enough and there's too much just geared towards entertainment. My question is, why is this so bad? I mean, how boring do you guys want your tv to be that it's all completely serious discussion about in depth issues with football? The entertainment value is funny and enjoyable. I love shows like Sportsnation that are actually geared towards mindless humor rather than in depth discussion.

Different strokes for different folks, really. I can understand that ESPN has to cater to all kinds of sports fans as possible. I just don't happen to be one of them.

For me, I can't find the entertainment value all that enjoyable. It's the same old, brash, over-the-top attention-seeking analysts who speak with extra inflection in their voices as if to say, "Look at me I have an opinion, hear me roar". It's the regurgitation of catchphrases, regurgitation of "breaking or developing news", and needless influx of pop culture with sports. Hardly anything of substance in a good deal of their programs. Our ESPN Los Angeles dumbs us down as if we all stroll to the Pinkberry and walk our chihuahuas there. Likewise, fans who are much too reliant on ESPN like life support to form a sports opinion aren't too bright, because of such dumbed down coverage.

I will give ESPN their due for things like 30 For 30 and their football, erm, soccer coverage when ESPN had the Champions League. It's things like the East Coast Bias or the unnecessary TMZ-like coverage of off-the-field incidents that make me avoid ESPN like the plague.

If you think I'm critical about ESPN, you should hear me rant about BBC and their anti-Man United bias, as well as their piss-poor Match of the Day analysis too.

I get what you're saying, and I can't really take a whole lot other than in small doses, but there are definitely some shows I like. The 30/30s are good, and I'm entertained by PTI and Sportsnation. I also like to flip on sportscenter in the background while I'm doing something else.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dAnzac » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 am

This is why I no longer have ESPN:

Heath Bell wrote:I truly believe ESPN only cares about promoting the Red Sox and Yankees—and nobody else. That's why I like the MLB Network, because they promote everybody. I'm really turned off by ESPN and Baseball Tonight. When Jake Peavy threw 8⅓ innings on Saturday, they showed one pitch in the third inning and that was it. It's all about the Red Sox and Yankees.[3]

I couldn't stand it when looking for baseball highlights (the only show that carries them here) Sportscenter would take 3 seconds (or less or not at all) telling you about something awesome that happened, and 10 minutes showing you Jeter going 0/4.

And when they show games here it's a rotating menu of the same teams, NYY/BOS/DET/STL/CHC. 25 teams get pretty much ignored.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:52 pm

i know its all about ratings...but ive alwyas loved how NY always gets the primetime game...and poor texas teams(as an example) always have to play at 2

when the astros were on their world series run a few years ago i had to take off work every game bc they always had to play at 2...now the rangers are going through it also. throw us a bone every now and again
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk