Alex Rodriguez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Rodriguez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Rodriguez

Postby mkultra » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am

Just hit his 30th HR last night. 2nd in the league in RBI's. The dip in BA and steals is a big concern, but he got his numbers in only ~500 AB's.

Those of you who were down on Arod this year- are you reconsidering your position? If his hip is fully healed next season, he's certainly capable of elite numbers again. And no matter what, he's still hitting cleanup for one of the best offenses in baseball. You're not taking him before Longoria, but what about these other guys?

Wright
Zimmerman
Youkilis
Bautista (assuming he qualifies in your league, but he should)

(pls. don't turn this into another "Aroid" lulz thread, that's old)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alex Rodriguez

Postby MTUCache » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:20 am

Not all that impressed, but yes, he's still in my top-tier for 3B.

My early projections for next year (just rounded to neighborhood numbers):
Longo: .300/25/95/105/15
ARod: .290/30/85/115/0
Wright: .290/25/90/100/20
Zimm: .310/25/85/85/5
Youk: .310/20/75/75/5
Beltre: .300/30/85/100/5
Bautista: .270/35/90/100/10

Bottomline for me... if I've got a draft spot for Longo or Wright, I'm taking him. The first-round value is definitely there. ARod will be taken 9 times out of 10 before I'm willing to take him.

If not, Bautista is looking like a freaking bargain (as long as I limit any other BA risks on my team). People don't trust his 50 this year, and even cutting that number in half he's going to produce very similar numbers to the guys going in the first two rounds.

Young/Cuddyer/McGehee/Reynolds all have their own issues, but would make up a decent second-tier.

Any further down than this and you're looking at some serious question marks (Prado, Infante, Rolen, Headley, etc.)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bogey9906 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 am

I'd probably take Longoria and Zimm before ARod, but that's it.

BTW, Youk is only 1B next year in most leagues (only 2 games at 3B this year).
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 am

Longoria is the only one I'd take over him at third. Wright's close, Zimmerman's not.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm really interested to see what happens with Longoria next year. from what I gather, he is still everyone's consensus #1 3B, but what the heck happened to the power? he was really in a position to put himself in a tier of his own if he just hit 30-35 HR's.. but then out of nowhere comes 22, which probably had a hand in his RBI decrease as well.. I mean, he hit 27 in his 120 game rookie season.. hopefully this year was just an anomaly and next year he'll get bac on track.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby mkultra » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am

It's hard to ignore Longoria's steals. 25/15/.290 is not an unreasonable expectation, which somewhat begs the question- do you want a guy who'll put up great power numbers but hurt your BA (Bautista), or do you want the more rounded guy in Longoria?

In that context, it almost makes sense to split the difference and go with Arod.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby kab21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 pm

mkultra wrote:It's hard to ignore Longoria's steals. 25/15/.290 is not an unreasonable expectation, which somewhat begs the question- do you want a guy who'll put up great power numbers but hurt your BA (Bautista), or do you want the more rounded guy in Longoria?

In that context, it almost makes sense to split the difference and go with Arod.

Regardless of Bautista's great season I'm not talking about him in comparison to Arod and Longoria.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Aroid lulz

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Orioles lulz
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority this year, and of course we'll have to see where is MDP is falling, but I don't think you could pay me to draft A-Rod this year... Newest report is that he 'went to Germany to have his own blood drawn from his arm, separated in a centrifuge, and then re-injected into his knee and ankle'. I don't care if Kobe did it too. This reeks of desperation from an ailing player who presumably can't run anymore and is no longer the elite stick people want him to be. Wouldn't shock me to see an injury riddled 20 HR season where he doesn't swipe a single base. No thanks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers