Anatomy and Physiology - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anatomy and Physiology

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anatomy and Physiology

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:48 pm

I just started the series, I've been to two classes and am already completely overwhelmed. Anybody take it? Anyone know of any useful study guides or have study tips?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anatomy and Physiology

Postby dAnzac » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Redtube will help you get a grip on the subject matter
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 pm

dAnzac wrote:Redtube will help you get a grip on the subject matter

Oh I'm golden with the reproductive organs. :-b

It's remembering stuff like what and where the sternocleidomastoid is. :-S
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 pm

dAnzac wrote:Redtube will help you get a grip on the subject matter

:-b
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 pm

At my college, those classes were offered separate, and by different teachers. The HA class was actually a pre-requisite for HP, but I convinced the Dean to allow me to take both at the same time. Which at first was over-whelming, but then they started to overlap.

Anyway, my first suggestion is to memorize the Cellular respiration cycle (if you haven't already). Glycolysis, Pyruvate, Citric (or Krebs), Oxidative phosphorylation. And I don't just mean the overall process. You'll need to know what chemicals go in, what reaction occur, and what chemicals are produced. Then you'll need to know how they move from one step to the next, and where everything occurs in the cell. I remember many long nights starring at the krebs cycle.

Have fun.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:07 am

I would try to understand body systems (digestive, respiratory, circulatory, etc.). The body works in systems, and by breaking it down into systems, you might be able to understand what everything is doing functionally (and to some extent why). Then it's just a matter of remembering which body part is named which. I think this is a better approach than just literally trying to memorize everything.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Metroid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:27 am

woodson_28 wrote:At my college, those classes were offered separate, and by different teachers. The HA class was actually a pre-requisite for HP, but I convinced the Dean to allow me to take both at the same time. Which at first was over-whelming, but then they started to overlap.

Anyway, my first suggestion is to memorize the Cellular respiration cycle (if you haven't already). Glycolysis, Pyruvate, Citric (or Krebs), Oxidative phosphorylation. And I don't just mean the overall process. You'll need to know what chemicals go in, what reaction occur, and what chemicals are produced. Then you'll need to know how they move from one step to the next, and where everything occurs in the cell. I remember many long nights starring at the krebs cycle.

Have fun.

Thanks man. Yeah, I learned all that stuff in cell biology 112, I'm in the first of the A&P series, 231. There is much less of a focus on the inner workings of cells in this series.

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I would try to understand body systems (digestive, respiratory, circulatory, etc.). The body works in systems, and by breaking it down into systems, you might be able to understand what everything is doing functionally (and to some extent why). Then it's just a matter of remembering which body part is named which. I think this is a better approach than just literally trying to memorize everything.

Thanks. Actually part of what we're starting on is the systems, I've got most of them down already. However, I'm still confusing the Lymphatic and the Endocrine systems as far as what the major functioning organs are each. I'll get it by tomorrow though...I hope. The problem is we don't have much time to spend on the individual systems. Besides the 11 systems, their major organs and functions, I also have to memorize all the anterior and posterior landmarks (acromial, scapular, brachial, etc.), the anatomical positioning vocab, sectional anatomy including planes, quadrants, and regions, the cavities in all those regions. Oh and add in 25 or so muscles....for a quiz Monday. %-6

I've been told this is one of the most brutal A&P series in the state, not that most all A&P series aren't brutal, but 60% of students end up having to take it again. To be fair, for many it's not because they fail but because they get a C or a B. To get into any of the medical programs out here you just have to get straight A's in your sciences. Well, unless you want to spend a fortune at a private school. :-?

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you discovered any useful study aids. I got the Anatomy coloring book and it seems helpful but I'm wondering if anyone has found anything else that's been useful. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:40 am

Go to Sporcle.com and set up your own study quizzes.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Metroid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:58 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Go to Sporcle.com and set up your own study quizzes.

That's an interesting idea, thanks man. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:24 am

I just finished an intensive GA course at Dental school. We take it with the med students, so it is way in depth. There are a number of useful resources on the web, but the Michigan website has some decent stuff including pics of dissections and some practice quizzes.

Good luck! I am glad to be done with that class.

http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/courseinfo/labs_systemic.html
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk