SP/RP situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP/RP situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP/RP situation

Postby threethree » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm near the lead in a league. Where most people are reaching their max appearances for SP and RP. I'm nearing my end in SP appearances and have a decent amount of RP spots open, so I dropped my closers and chose pitchers with SP/RP eligibility hoping to gain points from these guys in the RP slots. Some one else in the league besides the commish decided to bring this to everyone's attention and the commish told me to stop doing this. No where is this a rule in our league.

Likewise, for a hitter, if some one is eligible at multiple positions, aren't they fair game to be used where ever eligible? I have a player who is eligible at 2b, 3b, SS, OF, U. He's been all over for me.

So my question is, am I doing something I shouldn't be doing in fantasy baseball? Is this a corrupt way of working the system? I thought I was using a different strategy than other people because my closers weren't hurt or were not producing.
threethree
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SP/RP situation

Postby wrveres » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:29 pm

I run many leagues and I don't see an issue at all. If there is no rule specifically against it, its fair game, and to be honest its not an uncommon strategy. Do some people frown on it, sure, but they only frown on it if it is effecting them. It's that minor a thing. If positions were reversed with two weeks to go, they'd be filling their roster with SP's trying to make that final push.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't see anything unethical about this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby threethree » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Oh yeah...here is what it says in the constitution for this league. It is my first year in this league that has been going on for many years prior to me joining. This is a little vague if you ask me....

Article I (Player Limits)
For Pitching
Each Team is limited to 165 games started
Each Team is limited to 140 Relief Appearances
threethree
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Its not vague, it's just hard to enforce, and depends on the precedent. If they've enforced it as a SP game played counts as a start and an RP game played count a as a relief appearance, then they should remain consistent. In that case, it wouldn't be hard to find somebody that's been using an RP in an SP slot and find that they've used more than their allotted 140 relief games, or vice-versa with games started.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Oatsdad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm

wrveres wrote:I run many leagues and I don't see an issue at all. If there is no rule specifically against it, its fair game, and to be honest its not an uncommon strategy. Do some people frown on it, sure, but they only frown on it if it is effecting them.

Pretty much. In my H2H championship, I streamed SPs and RPs in a moderate way - wasn't grabbing five new Ps a day, but getting a few, primarily because my long-term SP roster wasn't gonna get much work. They all had two starts the prior week but only one the championship week, so some streaming was crucial to simply compete.

My opponent acted like I was cheating! He called it "dirty pool" and acted like a total prick. He then used my methods as his "excuse" for streaming up the yin-yang the last few days - he must've run 12 SPs out over that span.

Didn't help - I still crushed him 12-2. The irony? Even if I'd not changed a single player my final week, I STILL would've beaten him! I'm sure he'll whine all winter about how I "cheated" to beat him.

If leagues don't want streaming, they can impose IP limits...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cs3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Oatsdad wrote:
If leagues don't want streaming, they can impose IP limits...

or simply lock rosters during the playoffs.
my H2H league does this and it works surprisingly well.
at first i was worried that it would affect teams with players that pick up injuries during the week, but thats what your bench is for.
(and i have hanley on my team so this turned out to be a legit concern)
our commish unlocks rosters evrey sunday during the playoff weeks so you can drop/add injured players/free agents or make any adjustments you want for the following matchup.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers