Surpreme Court Justice Not Sure Burning Quran is a Right - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Surpreme Court Justice Not Sure Burning Quran is a Right

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surpreme Court Justice Not Sure Burning Quran is a Right

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:30 pm

This makes me :-o

I mean, I get where he's going, but the difference - to me - is that one has immediate, obvious consequences.
The other has long-term, potential consequences that may not even be directly tied to the act.

You can't go around prohibiting any speech that might someday possibly maybe get someone hurt even if the act is purposely inflammatory.

Stephen Breyer Questions Right to Burn Quran

During an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America this morning, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer addressed the recent controversy over a Florida Pastor's plan to hold a Quran-burning rally on the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, saying he wasn't convinced the First Amendment would protect such an action if the case were brought to the court in the future.

"Holmes said it doesn't mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,"
Breyer told George Stephanopoulos during the GMA interview, referring to Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., who wrote the opinion in a 1919 Supreme Court decision that addressed Freedom of Speech. "Well, what is it? Why? Because people will be trampled to death. And what is the crowded theater today? What is the being trampled to death?"

Breyer, who was on the show to promote his new book, "Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View" (Knopf), said that questions about the changing definition of free speech in the internet age will "be answered over time in a series of cases which force people to think carefully."

"That's the virtue of cases," he said. "And not just cases. Cases produce briefs, briefs produce thought. Arguments are made. The judges sit back and think. And most importantly, when they decide, they have to write an opinion, and that opinion has to be based on reason. It isn't a fake."

"It's a 'rickety system' Breyer added, but it has functioned "fairly well" so far.

Breyer also took the opportunity during his appearance to advise incoming Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan as to handling the pressures of her new job. "Of course, you're nervous. I mean, for quite awhile, your cases now -- they're going to be final. There's no one to appeal to," he said. "She will be nervous. But don't worry about it."
Last edited by StlSluggers on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Surpreme Court Justics Not Sure Burning Quran is a Right

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

This is dumb. You can burn a flag but not the Quran? I presume that would also cover the Torah, the Bible, and any other religious text? And his argument is that doing so would constitute shouting fire in a theater?

This seems more like a ploy to sell his book than a realistic opinion. I have no doubt if this went to the Supremes that the right to burn a religious text would be upheld.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:47 pm

knapplc wrote:This seems more like a ploy to sell his book than a realistic opinion.

See, I was sort of hoping that a Supreme Court justice wouldn't stoop to those levels. :-/
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:10 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
knapplc wrote:This seems more like a ploy to sell his book than a realistic opinion.

See, I was sort of hoping that a Supreme Court justice wouldn't stoop to those levels. :-/

are you new to politics
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

are you new to politics

See, I was sort of hoping that a Supreme Court justice wasn't a politician.

Wait... Trying to sell a book by any means isn't a "political" maneuver. :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Eh....tough situation here really....you don't want to piss the wrong people off if you get my drift....
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:44 pm

knapplc wrote:This is dumb. You can burn a flag but not the Quran? I presume that would also cover the Torah, the Bible, and any other religious text? And his argument is that doing so would constitute shouting fire in a theater?

This seems more like a ploy to sell his book than a realistic opinion. I have no doubt if this went to the Supremes that the right to burn a religious text would be upheld.

My thoughts exactly.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm

knapplc wrote:This is dumb. You can burn a flag but not the Quran? I presume that would also cover the Torah, the Bible, and any other religious text? And his argument is that doing so would constitute shouting fire in a theater?

Well, the US isn't at war with Christian or Jewish fundamentalists, and there is pretty much no possible situation where burning our own flag would inspire our enemies to recruit more people and to kill more of our soldiers. Just pissing off our enemies for the sake of pissing off our enemies has like no positive outcome.

I'm personally not offended by anything like this but if it puts our soldiers at risk for literally no benefit, then I have to be against it. Not sure if I'd resort to legal action, but the stance is definitely justifiable.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

Well, the US isn't at war with Christian or Jewish fundamentalists, and there is pretty much no possible situation where burning our own flag would inspire our enemies to recruit more people and to kill more of our soldiers. Just pissing off our enemies for the sake of pissing off our enemies has like no positive outcome.

I'm personally not offended by anything like this but if it puts our soldiers at risk for literally no benefit, then I have to be against it. Not sure if I'd resort to legal action, but the stance is definitely justifiable.

Saying "you shouldn't burn religious texts just to piss off practitioners of that religion" is a justifiable stance. Saying "the constitution should prohibit the burning of religious texts because it will likely piss off practitioners of that religion" isn't, in my opinion, of course.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

I understand this angle, and I am totally against putting our soldiers at more risk than we need to, but... they're soldiers. There's an implied risk in the gig from day one.

Freedom of Speech is a fundamental right, one of the most important ones we have. If we abrogate that right today it's still abrogated tomorrow, or the day after we make peace with Islam (playing along with this). Once suspended, those rights are very hard to regain, and frankly I don't trust either of the two parties we have entrenched in power right now to voluntarily give those rights back to us when the crisis is over.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk