ESPN's Jemele Hill on First Take - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ESPN's Jemele Hill on First Take

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ESPN's Jemele Hill on First Take

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:53 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:i know, right?!?!

...and you'll never get it, you bitter blue City-loving mercenary.

34 years and counting, sunshine.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

hey!!!! keep that hatred and spite in the soccer thread where it belongs. this is the thread where we share an intrest in female reporter's butts.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

hey!!!! keep that hatred and spite in the soccer thread where it belongs. this is the thread where we share an intrest in female reporter's butts.

...or debate the appropriate tightness of jeans. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:00 pm

yeah, and that too..
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:If I want to be taken seriously and regarded as a professional at my job I wear a shirt and tie, or on some occasions a suit. Reporters don't have to dress this way, and certainly do not (always) when covering practice of various teams. But the fact is that not all jeans outfits are created equal. Not all shirts/blouses are created equal. She was foolish for having put herself in that situation, just as the players making comments were foolish for behaving boorishly.

Whether she is taken seriously as a reporter and regarded as a professional doesn't matter. How someone dresses doesn't open them up to sexual harassment (well, clearly is does, but it shouldn't). Saying she "put herself in that situation" is akin to the old "she was asking for it" if a rape victim was dressed provocatively (no, I'm not comparing what happened to her to rape).

Again, what if this was a cheerleader, would they still be partially to blame because of how they were dressed, or is it only reporters who have to dress according to someone else's ridiculous standards of what's appropriate?

If a man dressed as scandalously as that while attempting to interview women in a locker room - for argument's sake, lets say a speedo and a bow tie, since attire is irrelevant - you know damn well who would be accused of sexual harassment if comments were made about his package. And its not the women. Flip the situation and all of a sudden its the players that are being sexually harassed by being made uncomfortable around a half-naked man. In my opinion, dressing like that is condoning, if not asking, for that kind of response. They didn't touch her after all, they made comments about how she looked. Yes, she "asked for it", and is not a victim, so this is not blaming the victim, no matter how many straw men you want to bring into the situation.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 pm

There's room for one more

AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:If I want to be taken seriously and regarded as a professional at my job I wear a shirt and tie, or on some occasions a suit. Reporters don't have to dress this way, and certainly do not (always) when covering practice of various teams. But the fact is that not all jeans outfits are created equal. Not all shirts/blouses are created equal. She was foolish for having put herself in that situation, just as the players making comments were foolish for behaving boorishly.

Whether she is taken seriously as a reporter and regarded as a professional doesn't matter. How someone dresses doesn't open them up to sexual harassment (well, clearly is does, but it shouldn't). Saying she "put herself in that situation" is akin to the old "she was asking for it" if a rape victim was dressed provocatively (no, I'm not comparing what happened to her to rape).

Again, what if this was a cheerleader, would they still be partially to blame because of how they were dressed, or is it only reporters who have to dress according to someone else's ridiculous standards of what's appropriate?

If a man dressed as scandalously as that while attempting to interview women in a locker room - for argument's sake, lets say a speedo and a bow tie, since attire is irrelevant - you know damn well who would be accused of sexual harassment if comments were made about his package. And its not the women. Flip the situation and all of a sudden its the players that are being sexually harassed by being made uncomfortable around a half-naked man. In my opinion, dressing like that is condoning, if not asking, for that kind of response. They didn't touch her after all, they made comments about how she looked. Yes, she "asked for it", and is not a victim, so this is not blaming the victim, no matter how many straw men you want to bring into the situation.

I was going to say that you don't seem to understand what a straw man argument is, but you have such great examples of them in your own post that you must. I didn't say she is a victim, in fact, if you've read the thread, I previously stated explicitly that she is not a victim, but don't let that stop you from setting up and knocking down those straw men.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Following that logic, anyone wearing a Packers jersey in Illinois is asking for a football to the groin. Of course I should just let it go and let them wear whatever they want, but I only shoulder some of the blame for actually going through with it and throwing a football at his nuts, because he was practically begging for it.

This may or may not be based on a true story.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Following that logic, anyone wearing a Packers jersey in Illinois is asking for a football to the groin. Of course I should just let it go and let them wear whatever they want, but I only shoulder some of the blame for actually going through with it and throwing a football at his nuts, because he was practically begging for it.

This may or may not be based on a true story.

did you get your football back?
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm

The last time I remember hearing about a TV Azeteca, was when they sent a TV reporter to the Superbowl media day dress in a wedding dress and had her propose to Tom Brady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTzGQnSlRY

"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk