Fantasy League Host Site Advice Needed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fantasy League Host Site Advice Needed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy League Host Site Advice Needed

Postby chinst » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I've been in a fantasy league on CBS for 5 seasons now and every year we have CBS-related issues with the draft, with standings, schedules, playoffs, etc. It is always something. We are tired of paying CBS for a glitch-ridden product. We are looking into moving the league somewhere else next season, but wanted some opinions and advice as to the best place to move. We don't mind paying a league fee, but we have an unorthodox league and need a lot of freedom in the league organization. For example, it is a keeper league with escalating salaries. It is an auction league with a $300 payroll. We hold prospect drafts to draft minor leaguers who are kept for free in minors slots on our rosters until they lose their rookie eligibility. I keep hearing Yahoo is great and free, and when I played in random leagues on Yahoo a few years ago, they were pretty good - but do you have the necessary flexibility in league setup that we are looking for? Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy League Host Site Advice Needed

Postby bigmck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:53 pm

chinst wrote:I've been in a fantasy league on CBS for 5 seasons now and every year we have CBS-related issues with the draft, with standings, schedules, playoffs, etc. It is always something. We are tired of paying CBS for a glitch-ridden product. We are looking into moving the league somewhere else next season, but wanted some opinions and advice as to the best place to move. We don't mind paying a league fee, but we have an unorthodox league and need a lot of freedom in the league organization. For example, it is a keeper league with escalating salaries. It is an auction league with a $300 payroll. We hold prospect drafts to draft minor leaguers who are kept for free in minors slots on our rosters until they lose their rookie eligibility. I keep hearing Yahoo is great and free, and when I played in random leagues on Yahoo a few years ago, they were pretty good - but do you have the necessary flexibility in league setup that we are looking for? Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have used the pay CBS Commissioner for several years and used ESPN for the first time this year. CBS is great if you need things like salary and contract years and is worth every penny it charges. == ESPN is free but you can not used salaries and contract years. Have you used the free CBS or the pay one. I have found the pay one nothing but great. What were your problems with it?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby chinst » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:55 pm

We use the pay league. One year we had a glitch in our live auction and we could not reset it - granted it was probably a mistake by the commish that caused the error - but he could not get it fixed and nobody was available at CBS technical support to help us on a Saturday night two weeks before the season began, so we had to reschedule the auction - which was a real pain. In fact, we've basically had some sort of problem with their auction utility since it was first implemented. This year we just had a glitch with the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs - not sure exactly what happened or how, but the entire standings were reset and nobody could set their lineups for week one of the playoffs. A few hours later and a few calls to CBS had standings restored and you could set your lineups. But, looking at the standings I realized that they are wrong. Somewhere in the week by week results CBS recovered for us there are mistakes and our final records are incorrect. I don't think anyone in the league has saved all of our prior results this season so unless CBS can come up with the real prior results, 23 weeks were basically wasted.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 am

Sounds like you might need to do your draft on a separate site like the proboards or something and then enter your league information into a service provider thereafter. I've used Yahoo exclusively for years and wouldn't go anywhere else. Lot of opinions out there though. Try doing a search in this forum and in Leftovers and you will find quite a bit of commentary....
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pochucker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I have feeling that more than few of your problems might be "commisioner" related. Have never had a problem with CBS -league is 8 yrs old and 60f them with cbs
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Maybe you could do your auction on Couch Managers or 1 of the other auction sites; still seems like an unnecessary step to then move everything over to another site. I haven't heard anyone else having a problem with CBS commish in week 23 or 24; pretty much everyone agrees they have the best options especially for more complicated setups. Wonder if you should have more than 1 commish just to help with the settings & such. I think you are using the best, switching probably just means more problems. Anyone in the league can have the daily-weekly reports sent to them; something you probably want to do anyway. We've had good luck with the CBS commish product for the past 8 years
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 305)

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Since we are Talking CBS, we always do our Auction together in a Sports Bar and I input the players and salaries that night. It only takes a couple hours, but has anyone else had a problem with a player that has two positions. The CBS site will put him at a position and not give you a choice. At the end I have to go into the transactions and do the switches. This is my only gripe with them but just curious if anyone else had this problem.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Return to Commissioner's Corner