High School Reunions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

High School Reunions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: High School Reunions

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:34 pm

To be fair, my alma mater was nowhere near as snobbish as the stereotypical rich kids' boarding school. In fact, I saw a lot more spoiled brats in college than I did in high school and they were quite disgusting. There were very little of those privileged rich kid snobs and most kids seemed laidback. It wasn't a posh school at all compared to other Catholic schools in the area, but it does carry a great reputation nonetheless. Most kids came from really decent families, who like I said had some tradition in bringing their kids and their kids' children to said school. This is why I wouldn't classify it as a typical "old boy network" because when you graduated, there wasn't anyone pulling the strings for you to get favors.

The problem lies in most of them sticking to cliques of friends they knew back in childhood, also from the same Catholic school. Most of them took their cliques too seriously and ran around like they were tough, like they owned the joint. Then, you had alumni who came back as teachers to the alma, and there were plenty of them. So, if that teacher knew your family and was in good standing with them, you got preferential treatment. There were two things I feared most about high school, then and when I was in college: 1) marrying someone I knew in high school, especially if it's into one of the "traditional" families or has ties to them and 2) becoming a teacher at the alma, which for some was a telltale sign that you failed miserably in life.

A very close friend of mine and I were reminiscing about high school over a few drinks at the local pub, as we normally do. He got his invite as well and the more we talked about high school, it reawakened some memories of high school that really pissed me off. They were forgotten memories and hence why they've been forgotten all this time. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Be prepared to spent the majority of your night acting like you remember peoples names' when they remember yours. It's one of those things where you recognize them but can't put a name to a face. Yeah, pretty much that all night.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:37 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Be prepared to spent the majority of your night acting like you remember peoples names' when they remember yours. It's one of those things where you recognize them but can't put a name to a face. Yeah, pretty much that all night.

Remembering names and faces shouldn't be too much of a problem for me, although naturally not as good as when I was younger. :-b Also, I've been recognized by a couple of school chums a few times in the past and I had to apologize to them for not remembering who they were. Felt quite bad, really. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Those conversations aren't nearly as awkward as the ones that go:
"Art Vandelay! I had such a big crush on you in high school!"
"And you're just telling me this now?"
"I was too shy back then."
"Well, it's not too late to do something about it."
"Umm...Isn't that your wife over there?"
"Don't worry. She's cool."
"..."
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm

High school reunions lost meaning once facebook became invented.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Those conversations aren't nearly as awkward as the ones that go:
"..."

Ha, my girlfriend (not an alum thankfully) is more keen about my reunion than I am. We decided to go steady and I'm sure there are a few girls I knew from high school who could cause my other half to get miffed at me by night's end. I know for a fact, there's one in particular who I broke up with in my freshman year. She didn't get over it and until we graduated, she didn't make me forget about it.

Thank goodness this reunion is taking place on Thanksgiving weekend. Great timing. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 am

I went to my 10 year reunion because a bunch of the guys played golf during the day. It made me realize that as much as I disliked most of my classmates then, they are even more annoying now. But I did shoot an 85 so something good came out of it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Those conversations aren't nearly as awkward as the ones that go:
"..."

Ha, my girlfriend (not an alum thankfully) is more keen about my reunion than I am. We decided to go steady and I'm sure there are a few girls I knew from high school who could cause my other half to get miffed at me by night's end. I know for a fact, there's one in particular who I broke up with in my freshman year. She didn't get over it and until we graduated, she didn't make me forget about it.

Thank goodness this reunion is taking place on Thanksgiving weekend. Great timing. :-b

Were you breaking hearts on this side of the pond? I thought that you grew up in England/Spain/Japan? Is there any continent that is safe from your charm? :-b

My high school graduating class was going to have a big reunion a few years ago but after all of the planning was done the school board announced plans to tear down the school :-b The reunion was moved to a bowling alley and just a handful of people attended. From the pictures on facebook it looks like a really good time :-B
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:48 am

mine was held at Dave and Busters. i heard not many people showed up. like others have said...facebook and Myspace make it way to easy to see classmates that you care about

plus i still live in teh city that i graduated from...so i still see a ton of people i graduated w

plus....i odnt like people and really dont like small talk w people i dont care about. id much rather be posting on some random topic on some random online forum to people ive never met and dont care about :-b

plus...i went and graduated from college...so my allegiance lies w my college...not high school. i really dont care about high school....it was just another step in me getting a paycheck for the rest of my life

a random high school memory for you all....i got a girlfriend early my senior year...and she had had a boyfriend her junior year and they had sex. so she had sex w me...every day. it was awesome. happiest memory for me. i had no idea what i was doing...but i sure practiced :-D
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 am

shawngee03 wrote:a random high school memory for you all....i got a girlfriend early my senior year...and she had had a boyfriend her junior year and they had sex. so she had sex w me...every day. it was awesome. happiest memory for me. i had no idea what i was doing...but i sure practiced

wtf? :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk