High School Reunions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

High School Reunions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

High School Reunions

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 am

Have any of you gone to your high school reunion? If you have, how was the experience? If not, how come?

For those of you whose time for your first high school reunion is a ways off, would you go to your reunion? If no, why not?

Suffice it to say, the reason I ask is because I was invited to my high school's 10-year reunion (some time on Thanksgiving weekend, I believe) and I'm 100% certain about not going. Also suffice it to say, that I haven't seen say, 90-95% of the classmates since graduation (class of 300+). I have a couple of close friends who I still keep in touch and meet up with quite frequently, but most of the people I knew were either acquaintances or friends I wasn't really that close with and eventually lost touch with. I have no idea if people remember me as I'll have trouble remembering them and so, I guess that's the intrigue of the reunion, but the fascination is lost on me.

I don't know, I'm hardly nostalgic about high school. It was just a place I went to in 4 years and those were 4 years that floated by really. I was pretty popular, but I didn't really want to be. All I wanted was to go straight home or go to the gym and just live a quiet high school existence. It didn't pan out that way, for better and for worse. Aside from the few friends who I view as the siblings I never had, all I saw were people that just wanted me to keep them company and nothing else... but I guess that's the teenage mentality we eventually grow out of.

I'd say the thing that irks me most about my class and my high school in general are, well, it's a bit hard for me to describe right now. That's a story for another day, I reckon. I'll just say that those people need to realize there's an actual world outside a 5-mile radius of campus. I'll explain about that when I'm in the right frame of mind to.

Thoughts? :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: High School Reunions

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 am

won't ever go to one, anybody i really care to see i already stay in touch with.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby dAnzac » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 am

Nil interest.

I hate hate hate hate hate hated high school. What a crap time. :-t
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:won't ever go to one, anybody i really care to see i already stay in touch with.

this...if i cared what these people were doing i'd get a facebook
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 am

meh.. I don't really share the same distain for the situation as everyone here, but at the same time didn't have much interest. My 10 year reunion was this summer and I chose to spend the weekend at a cabin with some friends instead of go. I don't hate the Idea of reunions, but am not too excited by them either.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 am

My ten-year was a couple years ago. I had no interest in going but got a few calls the night of the reunion from some friends. I live about an hour and a half away from where I grew up and my parents still live there, so I headed over late and got there after the official reunion had ended but just as everyone was heading out to the bar. I ended up having a good time, seeing some people I hadn't seen in years, and not having to spend money on the reunion/dinner. For the most part, I'm still in touch with everyone who I care about being in touch with, but I did enjoy catching up with a couple people. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but I don't care if I go to my next one or not either. I guess reunions get the big "meh" from me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I would go but only if there were a no kids allowed policy. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:meh.. I don't really share the same distain for the situation as everyone here, but at the same time didn't have much interest.

I don't either. I liked high school actually and for the most part, I had a fun time. I just don't have the attachment to my alma mater, my graduating class, and with the community in general. For a big class (300+), it is pretty close-knit. Most folks still live in Southern California and a good number of them still live in a 5-7 mile radius of campus, myself included. My house is 3-4 miles up the beach from my alma mater and in fact, the reunion place is closer to where I live (although not in the same city/neighborhood). My close friends from high school still meet up with people I knew from my class and they'll even have a little reunion every month or so. I don't get invited to those functions which suits me fine. I'm still in the loop of what's going on with my old chums through my good friends, even though I'm really not too interested.

I think that's what irks me most about my high school in particular to this day. The "close-knit" nature of it all. It's a private school and like any private school, it has its "old boy networks", for lack of a better term in the case of my alma. There are families who have a long lineage at my alma mater. People sent their kids to this school, who in turn sent their own kids to the same school, and so on. You had a dozen families at the least like this who carried on the tradition. What's worse is these families marrying into each other not once, not twice, but like FIVE times. I know 20 people off the top of my head who married their high school sweethearts in between ages 18-23. I know an additional 20 off the top of my head who married someone from school in a different class. Bloody inbreds.

Personally, I had no family lineage in my alma, as I was the only one who went to that school. I was also one of the few public school kids who matriculated there and for a while, I felt really out of place. I was a stranger back then and I suppose I'm still a stranger now. If that's the case, I don't mind it and as much as I can help it, I don't want to send my kids to my alma mater. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dAnzac » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:43 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:It's a private school and like any private school, it has its "old boy networks", for lack of a better term in the case of my alma. There are families who have a long lineage at my alma mater. People sent their kids to this school, who in turn sent their own kids to the same school, and so on. You had a dozen families at the least like this who carried on the tradition.

I had a similar problem, with my posh olde English style school. A lot of the morons that went there were 2nd or 3rd generation, and made out like it was some big deal to go there.
When I reminded them that it was a boys-only school and that that was terrible and about 50 years behind the times, they got their noses out of joint. ;-7 ;-7

I wish I had gone to one of those schools that television tells me are normal in the USA. Co-ed, no uniform, no 150 years of traditional b.s, etc etc.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:07 am

Private school is the worst. I went to one for a year in high school, it was all about tradition and sending generations of children there and giving them the sense of privilege. The teachers sucked, most of them were there to give their kids a free ride. Screw that crap.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to General Talk