Room for B. Belt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Room for B. Belt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Room for B. Belt?

Postby KoolPapaBell » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm trying to add Brandon Belt to my prospect roster, but I'm not sure who, if anyone, I should cut to make room. Do you like Belt in a 5*5 roto league any better than anyone on this roster? Thanks in advance:

Matt Moore
Brett Lawrie
John Lamb
Michael Pineda
Derek Norris
Randall Delgado
KoolPapaBell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Room for B. Belt?

Postby mblax10 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:15 pm

At the moment, I have Belt ranked behind all 6 (only a few spots behind Norris & Pineda). Not a huge Pineda fan, so in your situation I may drop him. Could also see dropping Norris if you wanted to go with a player a couple years closer to the majors. I definitely wouldn't drop any of the other 4 for him.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dsd10988 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 am

Derek Norris is still a long way away and most likely will move to 1b, killing his value. He's the one that I would drop if you want to be safe.

You can't drop Pineda...if you really don't like him, then sell high and trade him to somebody who will look at him as the next Felix Hernandez.

Despite the impressive numbers by Moore and Delgado you have to figure that neither won't get an opportunity at the major league level until at least mid 2012-2013. There is so much pitching depth on both teams and unless you have a lot of patience, I don't feel its worth investing in them if there are better prospects available. I would hope that they get traded to another team that will move them up quicker. For now though, I wouldn't overrate them.
dsd10988
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mblax10 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 am

I have a real hard time down grading a prospect just because they're potentially blocked. In recent years, Matt LaPorta, Kyle Blanks, Brett Wallace, Buster Posey are all guys who have been down graded for being "blocked." Performance and injuries notwithstanding, they all found playing time on major league diamonds. Some traded, some position changes and some their talent just won out and got them on the field.

Matt Moore has 86 K/11B over his last 9 starts (53.2 IP). As far as I know his 208 K's lead the minors for the 2nd season in a row. Since the All-Star Break his BB rate has been more than cut in half. Yes, he's young, but if his control has improved as the 2nd half numbers indicate, he's a monster prospect. Teheran is a 20 year old with over a K/9 in AA. Both guys have scouting reports that match the stats. I couldn't drop either of these guys in all but the shallowest leagues.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball