Streaming SPs in H2H Playoffs - good or bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming SPs in H2H Playoffs - good or bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming SPs in H2H Playoffs - good or bad?

Postby Oatsdad » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 am

So I'm in the first week of my H2H playoffs and I get the impression my opponent plans to stream SPs pretty actively. He's not grabbing 3 SPs a day or anything, but he seems intent on throwing out warm bodies to grab Ks and Ws.

I have 5 SPs today/tomorrow but then nobody until Friday, though I should have those 5 again Sat/Sun. That's 11 starts over my week - think that's enough or should I do a daily add/drop of an SP too?
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming SPs in H2H Playoffs - good or bad?

Postby yoda87 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 am

Depending on how good your hitting is, and depending on how your guys do today, if you get a good ERA and WHIP, it would most likely cancel out his W's and K's then just let it go to hitting... Good Luck
I guess there was no curse... Boston just sucked for 86 years...
yoda87
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 am

Keep a eye out on who is starting. If you are using Yahoo, use the Opponents on the drop down menu to short all FA pitchers. If there is a @Oak, @Sea there, those are kinda hard to pass up. Even if just to grab them so your opponent doesn't use them on you.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 am

You're probably fine really, you should have no problem clearing 70 innings off 11 starts, could push 80 if you have some closers who get lots of work and starters going beyond 6 innings. That's a high number in standard leagues.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Oatsdad » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'll probably stick with the status quo, though if I see a particularly tasty matchup on W/Th/F, I might do a pickup.

NEXT week is the one where I really may have to stream - since most of my starters are gonna be out there Sat/Sun, I'll only get one start each the following week...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Oatsdad wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'll probably stick with the status quo, though if I see a particularly tasty matchup on W/Th/F, I might do a pickup.

NEXT week is the one where I really may have to stream - since most of my starters are gonna be out there Sat/Sun, I'll only get one start each the following week...

Exactly my problem. I have a bye this week and all my good starters are two-start SPs this week. Next week I'll probably stream one or two when appropriate, dropping my weaker guys to do so. As someone else mentioned though, carefully watch ERA and WHIP, especially as ERA is the Yahoo tiebreaker (I won our 2007 championship on a superior ERA).
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Ursa wrote: As someone else mentioned though, carefully watch ERA and WHIP, especially as ERA is the Yahoo tiebreaker (I won our 2007 championship on a superior ERA).

They finally fixed that absurd rule this year. In the playoffs, tiebreakers are determined by your W/L against your opponent in the regular season, followed by overall record if that's even, much fairer. I have no idea why Yahoo ever used ERA over the logical method they finally have now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ursa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
Ursa wrote: As someone else mentioned though, carefully watch ERA and WHIP, especially as ERA is the Yahoo tiebreaker (I won our 2007 championship on a superior ERA).

They finally fixed that absurd rule this year. In the playoffs, tiebreakers are determined by your W/L against your opponent in the regular season, followed by overall record if that's even, much fairer. I have no idea why Yahoo ever used ERA over the logical method they finally have now.

Well, well. I've been playing all season and had no idea. I would bet almost none of my long-time leaguemates do either. Thanks for the heads up.

Now.....do I tell them all or not? :-?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:

Anyone know if the W/L record against your opponent used to break playoff ties is category based or weekly based (assuming your league uses category wins)? For example, I was 2-1 against my opponent this year, but he beat me in categories 18-16-2. Would he win the tiebreaker or would I? Thanks.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Mortician » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 am

its by categories... your opponent woule win the tiebreak
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers