My Dog Sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My Dog Sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My Dog Sucks

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:48 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I agree with tis (although not with the same apparent vitriol... :-b ). Getting a dog is a huge commitment, and many people don't realize it until it's too late.

As far as the caging goes, it can be an unpleasant place if the dog isn't accustomed to it. With my dogs, we started off putting the cages (doors open) in the living room with their bed and treats (kongs worked great...) in it while we were home. Eventually, they saw it as a nice place to be, so when we finally did cage them up for the day, they loved it. Just a suggestion.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I share Tis's strong opinions. Not only is it awful for the dog, but those are the types of dogs that when out in public would attack and bite someone. Funny thing is it's not their fault. Much like a child, the attitude and behavior of the dog is pretty much fully formed in how their owner raises them.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thedude » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Crating a dog is fine, if it is done right. Puppies should only spend 3 or 4 hours in a closed crate. No dog should spend more than 8 hours in a crate. Crating is NOT cruel, if it is done properly. It sounds like you are not doing it right. A puppy takes time to train. You need to do it right.

Here is some useful info:

What does the dog think?
First, you must understand what the crate represents to the dog. Dogs are by nature den creatures -- and the crate, properly introduced, is its den. It is a safe haven where it does not need to worry about defending territory. It is its own private bedroom which it absolutely will not soil if it can help it. Judicious use of the crate can alleviate a number of problems, stop others from ever developing, and aid substantially in housetraining.
Where is the crate? It should be around other people. Ideally, set it up in the bedroom near you. Have the dog sleep in it at night. Dogs are social and like to be around their people. Don't force it into the crate. Feed your dog in the crate.

Can they be abused?
Certainly. Anything intended for a dog can be abused. That doesn't make it wrong; it does mean you need to know what you are doing. Things to remember:
The crate must be large enough for the dog to stand and turn around.
A puppy should not be left in for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time.
An adult dog should not spend more than about 8 hours a day in one.
No dog should be forced to remain in a soiled crate. You must rearrange time spent in the crate to avoid this happening in the first place.
Not all dogs require constant crating; most can be slowly weaned off once they get older and you can trust them more in the house,
Properly introduce dogs, especially older dogs, to the crate. Most dogs like their crates, but not all do so immediately.
Even when you are no longer using the crate regularly, leave it available for napping. A crate trained dog is always more easily handled: in the car, at the vets, when travelling, etc

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/crating.html
Everyone says I should get a crate for my dog. Why? I don't want to put my dog in a cage!
If dog crates were designed to look like little dog houses, it might be easier to convince people that they're -- not -- cages! First, let's talk about what a crate really is and how they can improve your relationship with your dog.

Long ago, when dogs were still wild animals, they often slept in dens - shallow holes they dug in the ground hidden away in places where they felt safe from predators. These were small, dark places, just big enough to turn around in and to lie down comfortably.

Even after centuries of selective breeding and living in people's homes, dogs still retain some of their ancient instincts. One of these instincts is the desire to have a den - a small, cozy place of their very own where they can feel safe and secure.

A "crate" is just a modern version of a den. In other words, it's a dog house within your house. Just as you enjoy having your own room where you can go for peace and privacy, your dog likes having his own room, too!

As well as giving him a safe, cozy place to stay, crates can make training your dog a lot easier. Housebreaking goes much faster when you use a crate and destructive chewing becomes easier to control. Traveling is safer for both you and your dog when he's in a crate. As you may have unhappily discovered, it's very hard nowadays to find a motel that allows pets. Many motels, though, allow -crated- dogs. Finding a rental apartment that will allow pets is becoming next to impossible but many landlords can be persuaded to accept tenants with crate-trained dogs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:22 pm

thedude wrote:Crating a dog is fine, if it is done right. Puppies should only spend 3 or 4 hours in a closed crate. No dog should spend more than 8 hours in a crate. Crating is NOT cruel, if it is done properly. It sounds like you are not doing it right. A puppy takes time to train. You need to do it right.

Yeah, we crate-trained both our dogs as puppies. Once they got accustomed to it, we let them run the house all day.

We wanted them to be fine with crates if we ever needed to kennel them or take them somewhere. It's a great thing for a dog to be accustomed to, but it shouldn't be a care technique.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:31 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
thedude wrote:Crating a dog is fine, if it is done right. Puppies should only spend 3 or 4 hours in a closed crate. No dog should spend more than 8 hours in a crate. Crating is NOT cruel, if it is done properly. It sounds like you are not doing it right. A puppy takes time to train. You need to do it right.

Yeah, we crate-trained both our dogs as puppies. Once they got accustomed to it, we let them run the house all day.

We wanted them to be fine with crates if we ever needed to kennel them or take them somewhere. It's a great thing for a dog to be accustomed to, but it shouldn't be a care technique.

Exactly. I didn't mean to come across as saying crate training is bad. It's not. It's extremely effective when done properly, and when it is done right the dog actually enjoys being in their crate, it's like their little "cave." When not done properly it's nothing short of cruelty and torture, the crate becomes an extremely traumatic place, and only causes the dog fear and anxiety.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:40 pm

shawngee03 wrote:
but he still sucks....how much suck has your dog caused?

This sounds like every episode of The Dog Whisperer. You should probably watch an episode or two for some helpful hints or to convince you to give up the dog.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:25 am

when we first got it we left the door open to the bathroom...so it had some room to walk around in....then after a couple months moved to just the cage...then to no cage

i agree it sucks that nobody can stay home w it....but that will never happen, so does that mean i can never have a dog?

i go home every day for lunch and let it out to the backyard and play w it for a little...then we walk him or paly in the backyard when i get back. i figured that would be enough...but i guessed wrong

we have agreed to get it trained...but gosh darn it it cost so much. hopefully the training will help

also, new suck has started...he has started digging in the backyard. during the weekends ill leave him in the backyard for as long as he wants...i figure he likes it outside...being as he is an animal. ill throw teh ball w him and tug o war w his rope. but he has started digging at the fence...so i have to go back and fill it back in. i figure im going to have to get stones or bricks or something...right? and other way to get him to stop digging?

no idea what breed he is.....a mutt from the pound...so prolly a mix of a few stuff. he is very hyper though...which is fine..but most likely the reason he gets bored during the day and chews stuff

and yes this is my first animal...so its all new to me. im trying to do what i feel is best for the dog....but i guess i havent been doing it well enough. if i coudl just get him to stop chewing up stuff id be cool. ive already stopped him form jumping on people, and am confident i can retrain him to wait on me to go poopey
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:14 am

shawngee03 wrote:we have agreed to get it trained...but gosh darn it it cost so much. hopefully the training will help

we did all our training ourselves: buy books. read. train.
it just takes some time and commitment over a few weeks, and you'll feel good having done it yourself

with a hyper dog, you're absolutely going to have to devote time to working the energy out of the dog
otherwise, the dog will work its energy out on you (and your stuff... and your yard...)
if it helps you put it into perspective, pretend you just adopted a 2-year old child. that's basically what this dog is.

you really should evaluate the dog's needs and your ability to be devoted to meeting those needs before you do anything else.
if that's too much for you, there's no shame in taking the dog back or re-homing it. in fact, it's better for the dog.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

yeah sounds like i just need to spend more time excercising with it. walks are always fun for it...i let him go wild at a park we have close to our house....so ill try and do that more often.

she has suggested we get another dog so it will have a friend

my reservations are that we dont spend enough time with the one we have(as we both work), so two will mean more trouble. but she seems to think having 2 dogs will make it better...as they will have each other to play with...thus tearing up less stuff

thoughts?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:12 pm

shawngee03 wrote:yeah sounds like i just need to spend more time excercising with it. walks are always fun for it...i let him go wild at a park we have close to our house....so ill try and do that more often.

she has suggested we get another dog so it will have a friend

my reservations are that we dont spend enough time with the one we have(as we both work), so two will mean more trouble. but she seems to think having 2 dogs will make it better...as they will have each other to play with...thus tearing up less stuff

thoughts?

that really depends on the breed and their disposition towards each other

i have two cockerspaniels who really don't interact whatsoever
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk