Nyjer Morgan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nyjer Morgan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nyjer Morgan

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:21 am

if i'm not wrong, the marlins were also pissed that one of their outfielders got injured on a ball hit that scored morgan earlier in the game. they probably took it out on morgan too although he didn't have anything to do with the injury.

it seems that player, donnie murphy underwent surgery for his injured wrist.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tis » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am

StlSluggers wrote:I didn't know that he separated Hayes' shoulder. I hope he gets the book thrown at him for that.

Unlike the Card's catcher, Hayes was standing on the plate.

I don't like running over catchers, but it IS standard procedure in MLB on close plays. Maybe he could have scored if he slid, but how well was he able to tell how close the play was barreling down the line? If it had been fractionally closer, his only chance would have been to knock it out of the catcher's grip. Something that, for better or worse, is pretty routine, is it not?

What book should be thrown at him then?
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:39 am

The play at the plate was so iffy......I don't see how you can get after him about that one.

The one against St. Louis was totally different though. No real reason for that one.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby skjelstrom » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 am

I haven't seen the play with the Cardinals catcher but the on against Marlins was just typical baseball and they got him back for it with the first HBP, but no reason to go twice....
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:25 am

Tis wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I didn't know that he separated Hayes' shoulder. I hope he gets the book thrown at him for that.

Unlike the Card's catcher, Hayes was standing on the plate.

I don't like running over catchers, but it IS standard procedure in MLB on close plays. Maybe he could have scored if he slid, but how well was he able to tell how close the play was barreling down the line? If it had been fractionally closer, his only chance would have been to knock it out of the catcher's grip. Something that, for better or worse, is pretty routine, is it not?

What book should be thrown at him then?

I don't really see anything wrong with the play with Hayes but I completely understand why the Marlins would take it that way. If you start taking cheap shots at catchers you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby drunkmonkey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 am

skjelstrom wrote:I haven't seen the play with the Cardinals catcher but the on against Marlins was just typical baseball and they got him back for it with the first HBP, but no reason to go twice....

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... k%3D265747

Pogotheostrich wrote:If you start taking cheap shots at catchers you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt.

;-D
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm

I LOVE the way Morgan has been playing.
I LOVE that he stole 2 bases while his team was down significant runs. I have never understood why teams with a big lead get so upset about the other team still trying to score. teams can score many times in one inning, did it not just happen recently that one team scored 10 in an inning? the team that has the big lead that gets offended, do THEY stop trying to score? no they don't.
It's unfortunate that Morgan is/was already appealing a previous suspension, otherwise I don't see him getting 8 games.
Gaby Sanchez got 3 games. he deserved more! obvious close line on Morgan, should have gotten 5 at least.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:20 pm

The StL catcher was blocking the plate until the last second, and Nyjer pushed him away while running full speed. He was barely even put off balance despite not anticipating contact... he probably could have side stepped him, but he didn't even knock him down. As for the one against Florida, that's the way the game is played. You block the plate on a close play, you get run into. I don't agree with it, but it's in the rules, and it happens on a nightly basis. Yeah, he showed them up after they plunked him, which I applaud. I love seeing that machismo revenge bean balls taken down a notch. He shouldn't have charged the mound, which he was wrong for, but it was between him and the pitcher. For Gaby to do what he did is cowardly and pathetic, and he should be gone a lot longer than Nyjer. Blind-sided full speed clothesline vs charging the mound after a pitcher throws at you twice - which is worse? Unfortunately baseball fans and authorities are knuckleheads for the most part, and probably find the Marlins' actions appropriate.

On a side note: why aren't there mandatory suspensions for players that run into a brawl from the bullpen? It's just a little bit ridiculous to see grown men doing that... can anybody help but laugh when they see it? Baseball clearly encourages the brawls and violence by virtue of not enforcing them, other than one or two nominal suspensions here and there if something extreme happens.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
On a side note: why aren't there mandatory suspensions for players that run into a brawl from the bullpen? It's just a little bit ridiculous to see grown men doing that... can anybody help but laugh when they see it? Baseball clearly encourages the brawls and violence by virtue of not enforcing them, other than one or two nominal suspensions here and there if something extreme happens.

I think I agree with this.
in NBA any player coming off the bench for whatever reason gets a 1 game suspension, and that's in a league that has what 80 games a season?
but I think maybe there could be a problem. pitcher hits batter/ batter charges mound/.. the batter charging the mound is greatly out numbered. the pitcher has the entire defense to help him, including the infielders which are close. one might say well then the batter should not charge the mound, but in that case I think pitchers could be more likely to throw at a batter because he wouldn't have much concern of the batter charging the mound.
maybe a solution could be hefty fines for those getting involved in fighting. not all players coming onto the field are fighting, some are just trying to separate players. those players don't need to be suspended. since every game is on TV it should be no problem for MLB to go through video and find those players that are getting involved with fighting. those players should be suspended/fined.

I don't see anything wrong with Morgan charging the mound when he did. his first AB he was hit where he put his head down and went to 1st base. then simply after playing baseball and getting 2 SB the Marlins pitcher intentionally throws at him. can't blame Morgan for being pissed off then and wanting to retaliate. that IS something that should result in a suspension, but worth it.
what's BS is that pitchers don't get suspended for many games. a pitcher that gets suspended should at least miss 1 start through the rotation. the way it is now they don't really miss a start. it's the pitcher who is more at fault for what took place. it was the pitcher who starts the altercations by throwing at the batter. there would be no batter charging mound if there was no pitch thrown at batter.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Starting pitchers usually receive a minimum 5 game suspension, I don't remember seeing one receive less than 5. Should really be 9 games in order to completely miss a turn in the rotation instead of just delaying it one day, but at least they're trying I guess. Goons (read: pre-planned hooliganism like hitting batters or whatever) should be more heavily punished than players who have a momentary lapse in judgement because of a heated moment, although I'm all-for much more deterrence regardless of the supposed justification for charging the mound or nailing somebody. But its a traditionalists sport so compromises have to be made I suppose.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers