Nyjer Morgan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nyjer Morgan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nyjer Morgan

Postby mkultra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Nyjer Morgan's not a prick for breaking some kind of "unwritten rule" about not stealing 2nd and 3rd when you're hopelessly down. He's a prick for Not Letting It Go. It's not "playing hard", it's disrespecting other players.

The collision with Hayes was totally uncalled for. The catcher was barely in front of the plate, and only there because of a bad throw. As the announcer pointed out, all Morgan had to do was slide, and he would have scored. Instead, he played it like a hockey player, and went out of his way to body check the catcher.

He deserved to get hit the next day.

He could have just taken his lick and moved on, but no, Nyjer Morgan doesn't let anyone get the best of him. He flat-out stole 2nd and 3rd to instigate. I don't blame Volstad for throwing behind him one bit.

Way to be a team player.
Last edited by mkultra on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Those stolen bases came in the 4th and people are upset about them? I could almost understand saying a guy shouldn't steal down 10 in the 9th, but in the 4th? You're supposed to give up before half the game has been played? Baseball's 'unwritten rules' are the stupidest thing on earth. Morgan's pretty lucky that Gaby's punch didn't really land. If it had Morgan would have looked like that Turtle guy that Jermaine O'Neal laid out during the melee in Detroit a few years ago.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 pm

mkultra wrote:Nyjer Morgan's not a prick for breaking some kind of "unwritten rule" about not stealing 2nd and 3rd when you're hopelessly down. He's a prick for Not Letting It Go. It's not "playing hard", it's disrespecting other players.

The collision with Hayes was totally uncalled for. The catcher was barely in front of the plate, and only there because of a bad throw. As the announcer pointed out, all Morgan had to do was slide, and he would have scored. Instead, he played it like a hockey player, and went out of his way to body check the catcher.

He deserved to get hit the next day.

He could have just taken his lick and moved on, but no, Nyjer Morgan doesn't let anyone get the best of him. He flat-out stole 2nd and 3rd to instigate. I don't blame Volstad for throwing behind him one bit.

Way to be a team player.

But Florida wouldn't let it go, either. :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:14 pm

I agreed with everything you were saying until this:

mkultra wrote:

Way to be a team player.

They threw at him twice. THAT's not letting it go. He took his lick the first time and then promptly went out and stole two bases because his team was down 10 runs, not to instigate. I have no problem with him going out there and doing that nor do I have a problem with the Marlins throwing at him the first time. Throwing at him the second time was the problem.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 pm

What a dummy. If he slid he was going to be safe. Bad baseball
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 pm

I don't care about stealing 2 bases in a 10-run game. Nyjer Morgan is a classless sack of something-I-can't-say-here. He's unnecessarily collided with 2 catchers in the span of a week. He had it coming.

Gaby Sanchez is my new favorite ballplayer. ;-D
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:58 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:I don't care about stealing 2 bases in a 10-run game. Nyjer Morgan is a classless sack of something-I-can't-say-here. He's unnecessarily collided with 2 catchers in the span of a week. He had it coming.

;D

Like HR said on MLB tonight, here's the problem...
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Bwanna wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:I don't care about stealing 2 bases in a 10-run game. Nyjer Morgan is a classless sack of something-I-can't-say-here. He's unnecessarily collided with 2 catchers in the span of a week. He had it coming.

;D

Like HR said on MLB tonight, here's the problem...

Gaby Sanchez pwned him for sure. Why's he all raising his arms up for getting his arse kicked
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby zepfan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:13 pm

yahoo blogger guy's take on the whole thing

...The Fish were also apparently upset that Morgan stole two bases in the fourth inning when the Nationals were down by 11. As Kris Liakos of Walkoff Walk saracastically notes, it must have been "Stupid Old Man Baseball Code Opposite Day," so there's plenty of blame to place on the Marlins if you're able to see both sides.

Still, make no mistake: The biggest loser on Wednesday night (and all this week) was Morgan, who is now seeing his public persona go from the happpy-go-lucky eccentric outfielder with the alternate "Tony Plush" personality to someone who's now being mentioned in the same sentences as Milton Bradley(notes)....

In this day and age where "entertainment" seems to trump the appeal of the sport itself, who knows? Maybe baseball needs a Nyjer Morgan to step in and play the heel to regain some of the excitment baseball lost when they decided to try to curb the whole steroid thing.

;-7

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:41 pm

No. Even if you want to make the "entertainment helps baseball" argument, Morgan isn't the way to go. If you want entertainment, I'd rather see the Brandon Phillips style (minus Johnny Cueto) of making a few comments off the field to get the sparks flying. Let's face it, if the Cardinals hadn't fallen off the face of the earth, this weekend's series would make ESPN forget that New York and Boston even had teams.

Throwing baseballs at fans and cold-cocking catchers has no place in the game.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers