Linkin Park - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Linkin Park

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Linkin Park

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Kinda disappointed. Thought this was an Antoine Dodson thread...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby perlick29 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:16 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:i realize its not cool to like Linkin park...but i dont know why

is it bc they are popular...so "cool" people are suppose to hate them? is it bc we are only suppose to like underground stuff...and anything played on the radio is uncool?

I don't think people dislike Linkin Park because it's the cool thing to do, although I'm sure there are those who are just that fickle to go with the flow.

For me, I never really liked LP's sound or this subgenre of "nu metal" either, for that matter. It's sort of a watered-down version of more traditional metal (i.e. death, thrash), music that appeals to the lowest common denominator of the listening spectrum. Take away the solos (and the appreciation for them), the fancy arrangements, and the constructive lyrical criticism of society as a whole. Put in basic downtuned chords, a dab of rap/grunge/electronic influence and a more angst-ridden message (which borderlines on depression) that appeals to that 18-25 demographic, et voila... you have that nu metal sound which was tailored to suit a more mainstream demographic of listeners. Linkin Park was one of those that didn't lead the pack in the genre per se (that honor falls on bands like Korn) but they became popular enough to the point they were the most recognizable band for that subgenre. Worse yet was that subset of nu metal fans (circa 1999-2004) who thought LP - or any nu metal band for that matter - played the most "hardcore" or rebellious music out there.

Personally, I'm with Art on this one. If you like Linkin Park or Kid Rock, that won't automatically provoke a terrible opinion of you. 10 years ago, I could have been much more harsh, but I've grown up and mellowed out since then to have a live and let live attitude with anyone who likes more commercial-friendly music.

The good news is that no one should give a damn about anyone else's opinion. I like Linkin Park, I don't care what genre people want to call them or if they are leaders in nu metal. I just like listening to them. I've seen them in concert twice, once WITH Jay-Z at live-Aid in Philly and they absolutely were the highlight of that event. I like the grey album too because it was two really popular artists making unique music together. I also saw them in Quebec City, in the pouring rain we didn't even know they were going to be there because we were on vacation, and they were great.

Does it matter to me that most of the cafe are not fans? Nope.

Do I also like dream theater? Hell yeah, and they were never a radio group. But the mind likes what it likes. Unless you're a poser.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 pm

perlick29 wrote:The good news is that no one should give a damn about anyone else's opinion. I like Linkin Park, I don't care what genre people want to call them or if they are leaders in nu metal. I just like listening to them.

I couldn't care less about your opinion either, but that's only because you're a Chelsea rentboy since 2003 (at earliest). :-D

Like I said, I don't mind anyone that likes Linkin Park. Shoot, I don't even mind folks who think LP is the most "badass" metal sounding stuff ever made because perhaps that's the only metal sounding music they were ever exposed to. Not really their fault. Bands like Dream Theater will always be the lowest common denominator of music because they're not "commercial friendly". It's just hard for stations to sell ads against a 24-minute song like A Change of Seasons or Octavarium and it's not profitable for them to do so. Of course, FM radio has been dying a slow death for over a decade now and it's easier to find music that won't get much airplay these days.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

Postby thedude » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am

dAnzac wrote:I can't take anyone seriously who wears a Yankee hat on their album cover. :-?

Jay-Z wrote:****, I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can
You should know I bleed Blue
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dAnzac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:06 am

thedude wrote:
dAnzac wrote:I can't take anyone seriously who wears a Yankee hat on their album cover. :-?

U chirpzing me son? Fo real?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:16 am

dAnzac wrote:
thedude wrote:

U chirpzing me son? Fo real?

No. I think you are confused.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to General Talk