Linkin Park - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Linkin Park

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Linkin Park

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Linkin Park is the only black spot on the career of one Shawn Carter aka Jay-Z aka Young Hov

This album begs to differ

jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 am

jfg wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Linkin Park is the only black spot on the career of one Shawn Carter aka Jay-Z aka Young Hov

This album begs to differ

I used to agree.....and in a relative sense it's one of his lesser albums but I've actually warmed up to Kingdom Come. I can see where others would not like it though.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby dAnzac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 am

I can't take anyone seriously who wears a Yankee hat on their album cover. :-?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 am

dAnzac wrote:I can't take anyone seriously who wears a Yankee hat on their album cover. :-?

Don't worry. In another 4 or 5 years the album Linkin Park released in like 2000 should hit shelves in Australia, and Jay-Z should arrive any year now, as well... you'll see.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:27 am

i realize its not cool to like Linkin park...but i dont know why

is it bc they are popular...so "cool" people are suppose to hate them? is it bc we are only suppose to like underground stuff...and anything played on the radio is uncool?

i dont do underground...i figure they are underground for a reason...their music is not good enough to make it on the radio

i persoanlly love linkin park. i like rap/hip hop, and i like rock. for me...they blend, or blended it nicely. i attended their concert one summer and it was awesome. i like anything that gets me moving and excited.

i dont know music stuff, i cant play an instrument or sing....so i really dont care about how "good" the music is....as long as it makes my head bob im cool w it

reminds me of a few years ago w the first Kid Rock CD came out. my dad bought it and played it all teh time. i asked him why..bc it was kind of weird for an old guy to be jamming something vulgar. he told me he had no idea what kid Rock was saying...he just liked how it sounded
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 am

shawngee03 wrote:i realize its not cool to like Linkin park...but i dont know why

is it bc they are popular...so "cool" people are suppose to hate them? is it bc we are only suppose to like underground stuff...and anything played on the radio is uncool?

i dont do underground...i figure they are underground for a reason...their music is not good enough to make it on the radio

i persoanlly love linkin park. i like rap/hip hop, and i like rock. for me...they blend, or blended it nicely. i attended their concert one summer and it was awesome. i like anything that gets me moving and excited.

i dont know music stuff, i cant play an instrument or sing....so i really dont care about how "good" the music is....as long as it makes my head bob im cool w it

reminds me of a few years ago w the first Kid Rock CD came out. my dad bought it and played it all teh time. i asked him why..bc it was kind of weird for an old guy to be jamming something vulgar. he told me he had no idea what kid Rock was saying...he just liked how it sounded

1990's Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast was released more than a few years ago. i assume you meant 1998: Devil Without a Cause which is still a long time ago...man i'm old
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:38 am

shawngee03 wrote:i dont do underground...i figure they are underground for a reason...their music is not good enough to make it on the radio

I don't like Linkin Park personally, but you certainly don't have to defend your taste in music tome, however, how "good" music is has literally almost nothing to do with whether or not it gets on the radio or how much play it gets. It is a factor, but a very, very small one.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:i dont do underground...i figure they are underground for a reason...their music is not good enough to make it on the radio

I don't like Linkin Park personally, but you certainly don't have to defend your taste in music tome, however, how "good" music is has literally almost nothing to do with whether or not it gets on the radio or how much play it gets. It is a factor, but a very, very small one.

thats what ive always heard..but still confuses me. i know nothing about the entertainment business or advertising, but i would assume from a logical stand point you would play the music that your target viewing audience most wants to hear...thus selling ad space for more bc you have more people listening

any insight? is it bc you have to pay off the radio stations?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:14 pm

shawngee03 wrote:i realize its not cool to like Linkin park...but i dont know why

I don't think people dislike Linkin Park because it's the cool thing to do, although I'm sure there are those who are just that fickle to go with the flow.

For me, I never really liked LP's sound or this subgenre of "nu metal" either, for that matter. It's sort of a watered-down version of more traditional metal (i.e. death, thrash), music that appeals to the lowest common denominator of the listening spectrum. Take away the solos (and the appreciation for them), the fancy arrangements, and the constructive lyrical criticism of society as a whole. Put in basic downtuned chords, a dab of rap/grunge/electronic influence and a more angst-ridden message (which borderlines on depression) that appeals to that 18-25 demographic, et voila... you have that nu metal sound which was tailored to suit a more mainstream demographic of listeners. Linkin Park was one of those that didn't lead the pack in the genre per se (that honor falls on bands like Korn) but they became popular enough to the point they were the most recognizable band for that subgenre. Worse yet was that subset of nu metal fans (circa 1999-2004) who thought LP - or any nu metal band for that matter - played the most "hardcore" or rebellious music out there.

Personally, I'm with Art on this one. If you like Linkin Park or Kid Rock, that won't automatically provoke a terrible opinion of you. 10 years ago, I could have been much more harsh, but I've grown up and mellowed out since then to have a live and let live attitude with anyone who likes more commercial-friendly music.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:31 pm

you guys can like whatever you want to like and enjoy whatever sounds good to your ears, just don't change the radio station in my car while i'm driving.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk