Why did KELLY JOHNSON clear waivers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why did KELLY JOHNSON clear waivers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why did Kelley Johnson clear waivers?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:haha this thread is cracking me up

i hope he never gets an answer he likes :-b

Hey how's that reading thing going for ya?

Guess not so well haha

omg you got him
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Cardinals release INF Felipe Lopez

Lopez
Cardinals released INF Felipe Lopez.
This season has been dysfunctional in St. Louis, but this isn't the first time that Lopez has worn out his welcome. The 30-year-old infielder batted .231/.310/.340 with seven home runs, 36 RBI and eight stolen bases with the Cards this season. There's no question that he was a dud coming off one of his best season, but at least it came with only a modest financial commitment on behalf of the Cardina

Yep, the Cardinals blew it on this one. At the least they could have shown their fan base they were trying, they would have won a couple more games with KJ batting two in front of Pujols as well. It would have made sense to leave him alone if they had something good going in the minors, but now MI/2B and the first and second spots in the order will be an issue again next season. With a wOBA of 0.366, 2nd in the NL and 3rd for the entire MLB, the cafe consensus most certainly was wrong on it's claim of Kelly Johnson's value.

San Diego blew it as well, maybe even more so:

Jerry Hairston Jr. has been diagnosed with a fractured right tibia and has been shut down for the rest of the season.
Yet another blow for the Padres. Hairston actually played on the fracture for two months, thinking it was only shin splints. That may explain the .240/.301/.413 batting line that he posted in August and the 1-for-13 showing that he's put forth in September. He should be fine by 2011. Sep. 21 - 1:38 pm et

Oh and I wonder when or if it (the cafe consensus) will get over it's jejune desires to put typos issues over baseball itself. Are you really that bored or so desperate to make a smart aleck show of yourself?
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 pm

GoodOl'Days wrote:

Lopez
This season has been dysfunctional in St. Louis, but this isn't the first time that Lopez has worn out his welcome. The 30-year-old infielder batted .231/.310/.340 with seven home runs, 36 RBI and eight stolen bases with the Cards this season. There's no question that he was a dud coming off one of his best season, but at least it came with only a modest financial commitment on behalf of the Cardina

Yep, the Cardinals blew it on this one. At the least they could have shown their fan base they were trying, they would have won a couple more games with KJ batting two in front of Pujols as well. It would have made sense to leave him alone if they had something good going in the minors, but now MI/2B and the first and second spots in the order will be an issue again next season. With a wOBA of 0.366, 2nd in the NL and 3rd for the entire MLB, the cafe consensus most certainly was wrong on it's claim of Kelly Johnson's value.

Jerry Hairston Jr. has been diagnosed with a fractured right tibia and has been shut down for the rest of the season.
Yet another blow for the Padres. Hairston actually played on the fracture for two months, thinking it was only shin splints. That may explain the .240/.301/.413 batting line that he posted in August and the 1-for-13 showing that he's put forth in September. He should be fine by 2011. Sep. 21 - 1:38 pm et

Oh and I wonder when or if it (the cafe consensus) will get over it's jejune desires to put typos issues over baseball itself. Are you really that bored or so desperate to make a smart aleck show of yourself?

you obviously felt strongly enough to ask the opinions of members here by making a thread about Kelley Johnson.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 pm

If never team thought enough about him to offer him a contract before the season what makes you think they would give up anything to get Johnson?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 pm

GoodOl'Days wrote: Oh and I wonder when or if it (the cafe consensus) will get over it's jejune desires to put typos issues over baseball itself. Are you really that bored or so desperate to make a smart aleck show of yourself?

*its

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:

Lopez

But that's the Cardinal way. They'll never have a top notch 2B in Saint Lou. Once you get past the top tier at the position, they are a dime a dozen al the way through AAA, so why pay for one.

I remember a few years back Kevin Towers brought this up in a press conference after he traded away fan favorite Barfield for Kouzmanoff, and he marveled about the retreads the Cardinals put out there at 2B every year, and he said he had no problems doing the same in San Diego.

There is a new regime in San Diego now, so that might change, but why. they are all totally replaceable.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby GoodOl'Days » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:41 pm

wrveres wrote:
GoodOl'Days wrote:

Lopez

But that's the Cardinal way. They'll never have a top notch 2B in Saint Lou. Once you get past the top tier at the position, they are a dime a dozen al the way through AAA, so why pay for one.

I remember a few years back Kevin Towers brought this up in a press conference after he traded away fan favorite Barfield for Kouzmanoff, and he marveled about the retreads the Cardinals put out there at 2B every year, and he said he had no problems doing the same in San Diego.

There is a new regime in San Diego now, so that might change, but why. they are all totally replaceable.

KJ doesn't fit this mold though. He emerged this year as an upper to mid tier player who won't get the money he'll be worth. I definitely respect the strategy above, but GMs have to keep up with the times and changes. I think it would be fair to say that as in a capitalistic based economy, positional scarcity in baseball will begin to fill the gaps in quality. Look what's happening to the catcher position.... dare I say Bryce Bryce Baby
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Postby B-Chad » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:28 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:
wrveres wrote:
GoodOl'Days wrote:

KJ doesn't fit this mold though. He emerged this year as an upper to mid tier player who won't get the money he'll be worth. I definitely respect the strategy above, but GMs have to keep up with the times and changes. I think it would be fair to say that as in a capitalistic based economy, positional scarcity in baseball will begin to fill the gaps in quality. Look what's happening to the catcher position.... dare I say Bryce Bryce Baby

He emerged this year as an upper to mid tier player this year? Upper tier is being awfully friendly. Middle tier, yes. He had a negative fielding score last year in the field, so while it's great to see him posting a positive defensive score this year, I'm not ready to label him a plus defender. Going into next year I'd place him as a neutral to slightly better than neutral defender. So in order to be upper tier, he's gotta do it with the bat.

Well looking at his full season slash and not looking under the hood, one might suspect he can land in the upper tier at the position (assuming he is a neutral to positive fielder at 2B again). I'm not sure he'll post elite numbers for the position outside of Chase Field. Sorry, I know you'd just assume ignore his significant home road splits, but that's foolish. Home slash: .311/.396/.580 and Road slash: .253/.339/.413. I'm not saying his road slash is terrible, but couple that with neutral defense and he's a fairly middle of the road second basemen. Lots of players have favorable home splits compared to road splits, but the extreme difference in them should really come as no surprise looking at the home ballpark he plays in. According to Bill James Handbook, the park index for triples for the last three seasons was 173 (100 being neutral), doubles was 120 and HR to LHB was 115. The park was tailor made for him to be successful, congratulations to the Diamondbacks for recognizing that and netting a 5.5 WAR player. However, if a team that doesn't have a favorable home ballpark for lefties thinks he's worth 5.5 WAR money, they are foolish.

I like Kelly Johnson as a player, solid walk rate, solid pop, and useful defense. I just think it would take another best case type situation for him to be in the upper tier at the position. Middle tier, agreed, perhaps middle upper tier if you want to break the tiers down further.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GoodOl'Days » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 am

Ouch Friars, you sign KJ and you're probably in the playoffs. Atlanta, you'd be up 2-1 or already have won the series.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:48 pm

im beginning to think GoodOleDays IS Kelly Johnson, and he misspelled his own name to throw everybody off
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers