Why did KELLY JOHNSON clear waivers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why did KELLY JOHNSON clear waivers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why did KELLY JOHNSON clear waivers?

Postby GoodOl'Days » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Kelly Johnson cleared waivers and can now be traded to any team, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.

He's such a valuable 2B/Util It doesn't make sense that the Padres or Cardinals wouldn't get him, amongst other teams.

I also remember reading the Braves saying they ended up being upset with their decision to part with him. What gives?
Last edited by GoodOl'Days on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Why did Kelley Johnson clear waivers?

Postby GoodOl'Days » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm

Ah yes, the Cafe, so well known for it's vast knowledge and activity. ;-7
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:47 pm

GoodOl'Days wrote:Ah yes, the Cafe, so well known for it's vast knowledge and activity. ;-7

Well first basically saying the Cafe isn't knowledgeable or fast enough to your beckon, even with tongue in cheek, doesn't help but anyways...

Saying a player cleared waivers when teams 'could use them' isn't the end of the story. There are many, MANY other factors that go into that conclusion. First being the D-Backs aren't going to just let Johnson or LaRoche just walk away, so when a team puts a claim on him they are going to match whatever it is and then make that claiming squad pay for the player. So whats any difference in just waiting a week to try to make a trade push if you really want that player, and with Johnson the value drops just a bit when the D-Backs know that no one put a claim on him so expectations for what they may get in return drop slightly.

Second, claiming a player through waivers isn't always about improving your team, in fact most of those claims is like playing chess. You put a claim in to block your competitor from getting him. Well the Cards, Reds, Pads and Phils all have good enough options at 2B that they don't really need Johnson. Also while looking at Johnson your looking at just this year, because odds are with a waiver player you're not looking for long term, so going through the whole process to just rent a player just doesn't seem like a logical out when you already have a 2B that gets the job done.

Also the fact that there is still some professionalism in the MLB, basically looking at this situation 'blocking' a player is kind of a douche move (because if a team puts a claim on a player then the team who placed that player on waivers can only try to trade with the claiming team, not allowed to talk with other squads after that point), so basically a team is only going to put a claim in on a player if they think they can get a deal done. The D-Backs have already said they are looking to trade Johnson, so giving him and his contract away would never have happened. Point blank the Cards and Phils wouldn't want to trade youth to get a rented bat, the Braves wouldn't either, the Reds don't need to give away youth because they have Phillips, the Pads knowing that the only other squad then to go after him would be the Rockies who they are ahead of then just let Johnson go. Thus why he cleared waivers, or why I think he did.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mblax10 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:Also the fact that there is still some professionalism in the MLB, basically looking at this situation 'blocking' a player is kind of a douche move .

This is not a douche move. It's gamesmanship. Let's say Kelly Johnson is viewed as "the missing piece" for the Twins. Kenny Williams is definitely making a claim on him so he doesn't go to Minnesota. The great thing about August waiver moves is the current team can just say "Sure, take Randy Myers' contract off our books.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:15 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:Ah yes, the Cafe, so well known for it's vast knowledge and activity. ;-7
you've only been registered here for 2 months .. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby dAnzac » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 am

You're being a sarcastic troll about the cafe when you can't even spell his name correctly? :-?

Why did Kelley Johnson clear waivers?

I see.

Anyway, the answer to this question is to look at his home/away splits.......

Home: .309/.404/.581
Away: .248/.332/.393

Teams obviously think he is an Arizona-created mirage.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GoodOl'Days » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm

dAnzac wrote:

You're being a sarcastic troll about the cafe when you can't even spell his name correctly? :-?

Why did Kelley Johnson clear waivers?

I see.

Oooh a typo, so worth writing about. I'm phazed, you really got me. :-b
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GoodOl'Days » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:"

Wow, got more than I expected. I've searched quite a few forums for something other than a everyday "home / road " split suggestion and you gave it to me, thanks.

As far as KJ being a mirage, the Braves still claim they wish they had him. Of course with the rise of Prado and somewhat due to Infante he wouldn't fit now. The point is the Braves know baseball, he put up two decent seasons very early in his career with them and they publicly stated they're were upset about losing him; Kelly Johnson is a good ball player.

WR, I've been reading your amusing words for years baby. Go Giants, death to the Pads!
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 pm

No one wanted KJ in the offseason when he was a FA. I doubt anyone wanted to pony up what Arizona was asking for him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:29 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

GoodOl'Days wrote:Wow, got more than I expected. I've searched quite a few forums for something other than a everyday "home / road " split suggestion and you gave it to me, thanks.

I don't understand why Aussie's statement isn't enough for you. That is a very drastic difference in his splits. your basically asking why no one put a claim on a .248/.332/.393 hitter.. and then being sarcastic about it when Aussie gives you the answer.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers