These are long shot speculation plays, but it will be a big deal if just one pays off next year. The choices and some of my comments:
- Gutierrez - Too many HRs to be a good closer. But Gibson is using him in CBC right now.
- Demel - I think he is the best arm currently in the Diamondback's pen, but is he closer material?
- Adams - Could Bell be gone in the off season? Will that change if the Padres go deep in the playoffs?
- Melancon - Maybe too wild to close? And Lyon (even though no one here trusts him) is under contract for 2 more years.
- Parnell - Also wild but 100MPH is always tempting. Is Takahashi really a long term option? If K-Rod is back on his existing contract I bet he becomes a setup man so the 2012 option doesn't vest. But in the current Mets environment, anything is possible.
So, which 3 of these 5 long shots should I keep for next year.