Looking to change jobs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Looking to change jobs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking to change jobs

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Where's a good place to start to find a decent desk job these days? Online is coming up empty with only temp jobs. I'm not even looking for much money, I make so little right now for a job I hate with a passion that I just need to at least make that much (25K a year) to switch. I don't even need benefits, I can get them through my wife's job. It shouldn't be that hard to find a place that will pay me $13 dollars an hour right? I just don't know where to look, I've had two jobs in the past 10 years and both kind of fell into my lap.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking to change jobs

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 pm

jfg wrote:Where's a good place to start to find a decent desk job these days? Online is coming up empty with only temp jobs. I'm not even looking for much money, I make so little right now for a job I hate with a passion that I just need to at least make that much (25K a year) to switch. I don't even need benefits, I can get them through my wife's job. It shouldn't be that hard to find a place that will pay me $13 dollars an hour right? I just don't know where to look, I've had two jobs in the past 10 years and both kind of fell into my lap.

What do you do now?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I work in phone technical support. It was supposed to be a temporary thing and I've hated it since day one but now I have to stop as it's causing me to be depressed all the time. The problem is it's the one job I've had that has some real world experience. Before this I was a music director at a local radio station for 5 years. While that was a great job that a lot of people would love doing, it sucks getting laid off from it because very little of the skills I used there look good on a resume for any other job, and jobs in radio that pay more than minimum wage are like winning the lottery these days. I definitely don't want to work in a call center ever again. I just don't know what to do other than find a temp job and hope it turns into long term.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:22 pm

I might be changing jobs and getting out of radio soon. You can have my old job if I get the new one.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Should I go for a temp job that sounds a lot more appealing to me if it's long term? I can get on my wife's benefit plan on work so that's not a big deal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 pm

A long term temp job? :-S

Wouldn't that be a permanent job? :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 pm

Nanotechnology is a growing field, maybe you should look into that.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby dAnzac » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:27 am

I hear that stealing backpacks is the new boom industry :-?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Nanotechnology is a growing field, maybe you should look into that.

Nanotech also requires extensive research and scientific experience. Not exactly entry-level unless you have a bio or engineering degree and even then, a tough ask to land that gig.

I'd say the first question is what job do you see yourself being most interested in? It sounds like a tough ask to get into radio again or parlay your past radio management experience to say, a TV station and so, it seems like you're ready to start over. If you have any remote interest in programming or development, then I suggest being a software tester or quality assurance analyst. It's somewhat tricky to move up the ladder from there but if you know the right people, you could as long as you're a pretty quick learner.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 am

How do you get into a job like software testing? That sounds like a really great job that I kind of do already just for fun with betas.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk