Anybody play Tecmo Super Bowl? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anybody play Tecmo Super Bowl?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anybody play Tecmo Super Bowl?

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Anyone ever play Tecmo Super Bowl III Final Edition for SNES? Maybe the most underrated gamed ever... if you win the Super Bowl 3 times in a row, you unlock 37 all time great players at every position possible including Sayers (insanely fast), Alworth, Ditka, Butkus, Lambert, Mean Joe Green (strongest guy in the game), Lester Hayes (my personal fav... guy would pick off every pass thrown to him), and even Ray Guy and Jan Stenerud.

Me and 3 of my buddies wasted so much time playing this in college...

*goes to hook up SNES*
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:44 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Tecmo Super Bowl and the Tecmo Super Bowl for the Super Nintendo were two of the only three games I ever spent extensive time playing. I don't say this to brag, but more to serve as a historical record for future e-archeologists who stumble upon this site: I will serve anyone at either of these games. Anyone. Anytime. This isn't speculation, but fact. It would have to be played on the original console, not some stupid simulator though. The other game is Tetris. I'm like Kevin Arnold's autistic brother in that crappy movie about Super Mario 3, but with Tetris.

I'd honestly be interested in a challenge because I have never lost at the original Tecmo Bowl. I have probably won over 200 times against human players EDIT: with the original console and the only two teams I won't play with are Indy and Dallas although if I am playing somebody who is good it's usually a pick-em between Chicago and San Fran.

I didn't play the original that much. I mean, I played it quite a bit, but not nearly as much as I played Super. My favorite thing on Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES was using Randall Cunningham. Unstoppable. Also, for the version for the SNES, the best player was Craig Heyward, but only when he was in excellent condition. Defenders would literally fly off of him. haha...Ironhead.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Tecmo Super Bowl and the Tecmo Super Bowl for the Super Nintendo were two of the only three games I ever spent extensive time playing. I don't say this to brag, but more to serve as a historical record for future e-archeologists who stumble upon this site: I will serve anyone at either of these games. Anyone. Anytime. This isn't speculation, but fact. It would have to be played on the original console, not some stupid simulator though. The other game is Tetris. I'm like Kevin Arnold's autistic brother in that crappy movie about Super Mario 3, but with Tetris.

I'd honestly be interested in a challenge because I have never lost at the original Tecmo Bowl. I have probably won over 200 times against human players EDIT: with the original console and the only two teams I won't play with are Indy and Dallas although if I am playing somebody who is good it's usually a pick-em between Chicago and San Fran.

I didn't play the original that much. I mean, I played it quite a bit, but not nearly as much as I played Super. My favorite thing on Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES was using Randall Cunningham. Unstoppable. Also, for the version for the SNES, the best player was Craig Heyward, but only when he was in excellent condition. Defenders would literally fly off of him. haha...Ironhead.

but ironhead.... whats with this thingy??
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

There were a few players in the game on defense (Fulcher being one) who were so fast that you could rush the passer/rusher, completely abandoning your receiver assignment, and if you didn't get there you could run faster than the ball in flight and still defend a deep pass.

Other than that, there's never been a more dominant player than Bo Jackson aka Tecmo Bo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that commercial.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Yeah, Tecmo Bo is unrivaled. One glitch--at least I'm assuming it was a glitch--on the SNES version was that defensive players still got most of their speed burst when returning kicks. Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson were basically unstoppable. I had seasons with Rod Woodson where he had more than 30 kick return TDs.
There were a few players in the game on defense (Fulcher being one) who were so fast that you could rush the passer/rusher, completely abandoning your receiver assignment, and if you didn't get there you could run faster than the ball in flight and still defend a deep pass.

Other than that, there's never been a more dominant player than Bo Jackson aka Tecmo Bo.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I didn't play the original that much. I mean, I played it quite a bit, but not nearly as much as I played Super. My favorite thing on Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES was using Randall Cunningham. Unstoppable. Also, for the version for the SNES, the best player was Craig Heyward, but only when he was in excellent condition. Defenders would literally fly off of him. haha...Ironhead.

Yeah, Tecmo Bo is unrivaled. One glitch--at least I'm assuming it was a glitch--on the SNES version was that defensive players still got most of their speed burst when returning kicks. Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson were basically unstoppable. I had seasons with Rod Woodson where he had more than 30 kick return TDs.

If Tecmo Bo can get outside the tackles, it's nearly a guaranteed TD as long as you zig and zag correctly, even with the ridiculous catch up speed bursts that defenders always got. Barry Sanders was similar. I also remember there being points when 'The Nigerian Nightmare' Christian Okoye would just throw would be tacklers off of him with ease and was essentially untacklable.

When my buddy found and hooked up his SNES last year (his wife was so not thrilled) and we played it again for like a solid week, we had to establish ground rules (i.e. no 49ers) in order to keep the fun going.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:49 pm

This new version is pretty much what you'd expect as far as offense goes. One team that is unstoppable is Houston. They might be the best team I've tried so far. Peterson can't be denied and Chris Johnson is Bo-ish as far as speed goes.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Anybody play Tecmo Super Bowl?

never heard of it :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:57 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:This new version is pretty much what you'd expect as far as offense goes. One team that is unstoppable is Houston. They might be the best team I've tried so far. Peterson can't be denied and Chris Johnson is Bo-ish as far as speed goes.

Peterson = Okoye
Johnson = Sanders

Nobody stands up to Tecmo Bo.

2010 David Fulcher should be Darrelle Revis }:-)

Throw Vick in for Philly and see if it's like running around with Cunningham in the original.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk