Contract League - Salary Cap Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Contract League - Salary Cap Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contract League - Salary Cap Help

Postby Keen3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey guys,

I'm the commissioner of a keeper league that will next year be converting to a contract system. I'm going to have the players kept from this year (15 total) start at $0, and each year a player's salary grows by $5.

Total rosters will be 30 Majors and 5 minors.

I'm looking firstly for a good starting Salary Cap. And even more, I'm struggling to figure out how much the cap should increase by.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Keen3
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Contract League - Salary Cap Help

Postby fast dogs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:58 pm

guess I don't understand alot about what you are doing here. 15 teams everyone keeps 1 or everyone keeps 15? Either way why would you start out at $0? These top players will be starting out at a fraction of the cost of the rest of the team that will be added; how could you trade a $5 Hanley or Longoria for any player not in same situation? It'll take many years for these guys to get a normal salary, it would seem you could only trade your vastly underpriced guys for others in same salary bracket. Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, but this seems like the wrong way to begin the process
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby mkultra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Sorry, I don't think there's a clean way to convert this way. Think about it- 15 players is about 1/2 of your roster. The players who get tossed back are going to be all the non-star players, who are going to get bought back at more than $0.

Best thing you can do in this situation is do a total redraft.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby bigmck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:27 pm

I agree about the total redraft. == If your league intends to draft players and then assign a salary to them, you are looking for a lot of problems. Make it an Auction League. Bidding on the players is a lot of fun and you get a true picture of what the players are worth. Normally $260 is used on Auction Day for 23 players. Since you have 30 players that would make your Auction Day Budget $340. You can Draft the MInor Leaguers and assign a salary, maybe $5 each. == As far as salary increases, let the player salary stay the same for contract year one and two. Year three make it $5 increase and year four and all thereafter a $10 increase. This has worked well in our league. === If you really want to keep 15 players from this years team for next, there is one thing you can do. Every spring there are many different magazines with player salaries. Pick one to use. Assign your Keepers that salary for 2011. You can decide if that should be year one or two of the contract. Subtract the 15 Keepers salary from $340 and that will be what each Owner has to bid with for the remaining players. Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Keen3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Okay, I should have been more specific. But, basically though, my main question is, for those of you in similar leagues, is there an annual rate of increase for your cap in order to take into account the inflation of salaries or not? And if so, at what rate does your payroll increase?

Also, I've heard of leagues doing almost a restricted free agency, where after a contract is up, and the player must hit the market, the player's previous team has first refusal to match the offer. Anyone had expereince with this? How well did it work? What's the best way to do this using an online auction?
Keen3
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 pm

Keen3 wrote:Okay, I should have been more specific. But, basically though, my main question is, for those of you in similar leagues, is there an annual rate of increase for your cap in order to take into account the inflation of salaries or not? And if so, at what rate does your payroll increase?

Also, I've heard of leagues doing almost a restricted free agency, where after a contract is up, and the player must hit the market, the player's previous team has first refusal to match the offer. Anyone had expereince with this? How well did it work? What's the best way to do this using an online auction?

You don't increase your cap. The player salaries increase. This will cause players to be dropped due to not being able to fit in the cap. This is what you want to keep good players in the Free Agent Pool. If you increase the cap along with the salaries everyone will just keep the good players and Auction Day will be a non-event. == I wouldn't suggest the "Restricted Free Agency" due to this being another way for Owners to keep their own good players. If you don't let the good players become Free Agents once in a while, the teams at the bottom can never improve. == I realize this is your first Auction League, but if you try and put in some rules that are non-tradional, your league will not work. Look at my last post. This is how the salary should be set up. Try it the tradional way first and if you want to tweek it in a couple years, fine, but start off with tried and proven rules. Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Return to Commissioner's Corner