Artful's Soccer Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm

I figured most people were rooting for Dortmund. Much better story, a team who built a team without throwing money around plus Klopp is very likeable. Lewandowski is incredibly talented too and if he leaves I wonder how far behind Klopp will be. Bayern has made the finals the last 3 out of 4 years and spends money like a drunken sailor. Plus Robben and Ribbery are not likeable. The only real thing attractive about Bayern is the sheer dominance they have shown this year.

Very fun game to watch. Dortmund came out and really took control for the first 20 minutes but after that Bayern settled in a played much better . Robben final gets a goal in a big situation and after have half a dozen chances to score during the match.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Very fun game to watch. Dortmund came out and really took control for the first 20 minutes but after that Bayern settled in a played much better . Robben final gets a goal in a big situation and after have half a dozen chances to score during the match.

Dortmund should have taken their chances early because their high pressing game would have been less effective as the game wore on. Bayern had more possession of the ball and looked the more threatening side after the first 25 minutes. Dortmund played a high line and Hummels especially was slow to recover when a Bayern man, especially Robben got in behind the defense.

All in all, it was a very entertaining Champions League final which had a little bit of everything. Bayern deserved to win and fitting too, as they've been the dominant team in Germany and in Europe. They can win the Treble if they beat Stuttgart in the DFB Pokal/German Cup.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 am

I hate Robben and Bayern is annoying. I told the team I coach that Bayern was my pick to win the CL in either December or January while they were still slobbering over Manchester United in as Artfulesque manner as possible. Dortmund winning would have been much more enjoyable, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching their run, especially their 4 - 1 slapping of Madrid in the 1st leg of the Semi-Finals (although, Bayern's 7 - 0 aggregate drubbing of Barcelona was almost as enjoyable to watch itself -- scratch that, probably more enjoyable watching Barcelona get exposed as the frauds they are). It's just a shame that Dortmund has to lose their stars to Bayern. They're a very fun team to watch and cheer for, and I hope they are able to continue to rebuild as they have a few times now. You'd think that eventually it will come to an end, but I certainly hope not. Ultimately, I'm happier to see Bayern win than a team like Barcelona or Real Madrid, and probably even Manchester United, because of all the preachiness among the respective fan bases, but Bayern really isn't much better with their pilfering. I have more respect for teams like Man City and Chelsea, who at least don't try to mask over or pretend they're doing something other than what they're doing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 31, 2013 12:27 am

bigh0rt wrote:I have more respect for teams like Man City and Chelsea, who at least don't try to mask over or pretend they're doing something other than what they're doing.

A lot of City fans I've come across were the ones who would voice they were the only club actual Mancunians supported and they didn't sell out like United, as a global corporate brand. Oddly, the club pander to emerging markets as the lovable otherwise irksomely fashionable underdog and they don't bat an eyelash. They fired their best performing manager in Roberto Mancini in recent seasons over just one underwhelming season in which they still finished runners-up and FA Cup finalists.

As for Chelsea fans, I have respect for a few of the die-hard Chelsea fans I've met. Otherwise, I never really had a net positive experience with Chelsea fans, especially in the early 90's when their fans were a much different lot than the more innocuous lot that turn up for the games. Football fans in general, are a tribalistic bunch with lots of preachiness and patronizing on many sides. It's part and parcel, really.

Still, I think there's a difference between the likes of Man United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich from Man City, Chelsea, and PSG (and possibly Monaco). The former group had success which had begotten more success, funded by what they do earn. The latter group won the sugar daddy benefactor's lottery and do just as much, if not more, to distort the football transfer market. I'm not exactly supporting the notion of a constant oligarchy in club football by any means. In fact, the emergence of City/Chelsea/PSG/Monaco do more to hurt the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Ajax, and Dortmund, proper clubs built organically and based on their own histories and traditions.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Well... 1st day of the EPL today. Might as well pimp this thread up to the top.

fun talking points include:

Arsenal's sick team, aka Alexis Sanchez' time to shine. or, the meteoric rise of Aaron Ramsey.

The demise of Manchester United and their crippling drop to mid table. for some reason I feel like Wayne Rooney deserves this, but I don't know why.

Cesc escapes Barcelona's bench to lead The Blues to the title. hey, Look! It's Drogba again.

Liverool is sweet with or without suarez.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Poor cafe..
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 pm

I'm not panicking about the opening day loss as much as United needing a significant squad overhaul that has been long overdue and is taking way too long. Money should be no issue, especially with the Adidas deal, but they need to make top 4 again soon.

The transfer policy is just maddening. It was great early business for Ed Woodward to snag Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw early in the Summer window but there's way too much stagnating since then. United need another midfielder (either box-to-box or holding), a winger, and possibly another centerback. I'm cautiously optimistic about Angel Di Maria coming over and I'd be content with Sami Khedira and Daley Blind as well. Arturo Vidal has a bothersome knee, but he along with Di Maria would be dream signings.

As it stands, I think Chelsea will win the Premier League, followed by City in 2nd and Arsenal in 3rd. Suarez's departure will have some effect on Liverpool, but they still have Rodgers' system and the players that made it click last season to finish 4th. Louis van Gaal is some improvement over David Moyes, but I think he'll have a harder time sorting out this squad over the limited Netherlands side at the World Cup. If United do spend well, then they're a better outfit to challenge for top 4, possibly the league. Otherwise, United are closer to the level of Everton and Spurs.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Falcao.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Falcao.

A loan move to United is smart business too for both him and the club. Van Persie's days as a top striker are done, especially if the reports on his knee are true. Rooney has also peaked and like van Persie, he's static and predictable. Falcao comes with some age and injury risk too, but he's the best #9 in the game, second to Suarez. His off the ball movement, link-up play, and finishing are outstanding. He's Chicharito, with more than just a knack for scoring goals.

This has been an excellent Summer transfer window for United. They get two CM, one of whom can play in defense (Daley Blind). There's a decent center-half in Marcos Rojo with some upside and a terrific left-back for the next decade in Luke Shaw. Angel di Maria was a must and he's great as a midfielder or winger. I wasn't expecting Falcao at all, and as an extra bonus, neither City nor Arsenal got him. United are one CB and one CM from challenging for the league again.

The only potentially big downside is Danny Welbeck being sold to Arsenal. I'm really not sure if he'll break out like Daniel Sturridge did at Liverpool (to Chelsea and City's expense), but I think he could develop nicely for Arsenal. He's played well on the off chance he played as a center forward and he'll fit in with Arsenal's system, since he also has a flair for the nifty 1-2 passing. Unlike Sturridge, Welbeck hasn't shown that he can score goals consistently with the best of them though.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Falcao.

A loan move to United is smart business too for both him and the club. Van Persie's days as a top striker are done, especially if the reports on his knee are true. Rooney has also peaked and like van Persie, he's static and predictable. Falcao comes with some age and injury risk too, but he's the best #9 in the game, second to Suarez. His off the ball movement, link-up play, and finishing are outstanding. He's Chicharito, with more than just a knack for scoring goals.

This has been an excellent Summer transfer window for United. They get two CM, one of whom can play in defense (Daley Blind). There's a decent center-half in Marcos Rojo with some upside and a terrific left-back for the next decade in Luke Shaw. Angel di Maria was a must and he's great as a midfielder or winger. I wasn't expecting Falcao at all, and as an extra bonus, neither City nor Arsenal got him. United are one CB and one CM from challenging for the league again.

The only potentially big downside is Danny Welbeck being sold to Arsenal. I'm really not sure if he'll break out like Daniel Sturridge did at Liverpool (to Chelsea and City's expense), but I think he could develop nicely for Arsenal. He's played well on the off chance he played as a center forward and he'll fit in with Arsenal's system, since he also has a flair for the nifty 1-2 passing. Unlike Sturridge, Welbeck hasn't shown that he can score goals consistently with the best of them though.

While Falcao is the bomb and all, this must be a pretty scary situation for Man U and their fans. for one, Monaco just paid a fortune for him a year ago and is already moving him. in the meantime, he tore up his knee. He may not yet be ready to go. That would be really sucky if they got anything less than elite production from him.

secondly, they just gave a striker to the team who will probably be battling them for that 4th spot on the table. In addition to that, that team they gave a striker to just had their only legit striker break his leg. Man U could have done nothing at all and left Arsenal with Sanchez alone up top (or with the horribly uncoordinated Sonogo) for the next 4 months.

If Falcao is clearly lacking the impact he once had and Welbeck performs for a succeeding arsenal squad, all hell is going to break loose in Manchester.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk