Artful's Soccer Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 am

Really looking forward to the Champions League semifinals: Bayern Munich v Real Madrid on Tuesday and Chelsea v Barcelona on Wednesday.

Bayern figure to have Bastian Schweinsteiger back in midfield and at the right time too, as Real would probably overrun Bayern's midfield without Schweinsteiger. Their backline can be exposed by Real's potent front three. Much of Bayern's chances rely on Ribery and/or Robben's playmaking and match-winning abilities. I'm hoping for an attacking game and I'd like to see Bayern win and host the final at home. However, I have Madrid being the better in the two legs.

I'd say Chelsea-Barcelona is closer than I otherwise would've thought weeks ago, more or less because Roberto Di Matteo altering their defense. They'll play physical, but concede possession to Barca while relying on taking their chances when they get them. I think, however, it'll be more difficult for an aging Chelsea to keep up with Barca passing the ball and tracking back when runners get in behind them.

Speaking of Chelsea, their FA Cup semifinal vs. Spurs was entertaining. Martin Atkinson gave Chelsea a goal, a shocking decision at that, as the ball never crossed the line. Nevertheless, Spurs continue to capitulate in their annual bottle job, which seemed like it wasn't going to happen a month or two ago.

On the other hand, Liverpool were lucky bastards beating an Everton side that completely lost the plot. Sylvain Distin's horrible backpass (leading to the Uruguyan diving racist's goal) and Andy Carroll scoring accidentally off the back of his head. Overglorified cup team, Liverpool.

...and I do hope Wigan stay up. They beat Man United last Wednesday and Arsenal today, and should've gotten a result against Chelsea the round before beating United. Wigan have never been ones to be clinical in their final third, on the occasions when they've been decent, but they've really been on a surprisingly good run of form.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 am

Good start from Chelsea in the 1st leg against Barcelona. Up 1-0 is about best case scenario. Barca basically peppered the woodwork and were very unfortunate not to score, but I don't want to take anything away from Petr Cech who was in top form, or Gary Cahill who has been more than spotty in his Chelsea career, but was a man possessed yesterday shutting down the dangerous Barca forwards.

One more incredibly fortunate result and revenge will be ours!!!
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 am

perlick29 wrote:Good start from Chelsea in the 1st leg against Barcelona. Up 1-0 is about best case scenario. Barca basically peppered the woodwork and were very unfortunate not to score, but I don't want to take anything away from Petr Cech who was in top form, or Gary Cahill who has been more than spotty in his Chelsea career, but was a man possessed yesterday shutting down the dangerous Barca forwards.

One more incredibly fortunate result and revenge will be ours!!!

Amen! Cech was awesome. The defense in general was really good. It's been nice to ser Cashley finally show back up in the past month or two. Barca could have easily had a couple goals, but at the same time Chelsea could have pretty easily been up 3-0 in the first 10 minutes. It's going to be interesting next week for sure.

It was a bit funny to see Drogba go back to flopping and diving and writhing around. He's been so much better lately that I can't help but think he decided he'd just give those little diving hobbits a taste of their own medicine.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Hats off to Chelsea, they played well. They closed down the box well and while Drogba saved his worst theatrics for the big game, he was a pest up front. Barca should have scored at least a goal, but were wasteful especially when Fabregas muffed on two gilt-edged chances in the first half. Suppose that's bound to happen when Messi isn't on the end of those glorious chances.

The second leg should be a tricky one for Barca but I can't see Chelsea keeping a clean sheet. They have more ground to cover on a wider pitch at Camp Nou and would probably concede 70-75% possession again, likely parking the bus again. Barca were still able to get into threatening positions, in the times the Chelsea backline were stretched. I can only see Barca going through despite of Chelsea getting a result last night. (BTW, I find it funny that you Chelsea rentboys post when you're winning, or so the song goes. :-b)

I think both semifinals are set up nicely. Real Madrid got the away goal, but Bayern have the 2-1 lead and were better counterattacking with the battles down the flanks being the difference there. Madrid have been fairly complacent of late, resorting to play the long ball forward to the frontmen and Ozil was deployed out of position.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Blah, blah, wider pitch. I bet the boys are really worried about that extra 3 feet!

Anyway, I can't say I expected you to say something different. Chelsea is set up beautifully. All we need is an away goal and we'll be in a really great spot. I suspect we'll get our revenge.

Re: posting, I can't speak for perlick but I post plenty. Just not here. Anything at the cafe is on my phone, which sucks. I usually check in every couple months and when I look at your big conversation with yourself I usually come away infuriated by either the superiority complex that oozes out of you (although I should maybe give you a break for that because it appears to just come with any Barca association) or your recaps (where I often wonder if you've even watched some of the games you write about). But whatevs. Enjoy your own little delusional world. Have a wonderful Flopfest (I mean Clasico) weekend.

Up the Chels! #ktbffh
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Harsh... And I believe that superiority complex is associated with not only barca associates, but united associates as well. Kind of a 2-fold problem here.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Blah, blah, wider pitch. I bet the boys are really worried about that extra 3 feet!

Anyway, I can't say I expected you to say something different. Chelsea is set up beautifully. All we need is an away goal and we'll be in a really great spot. I suspect we'll get our revenge.

Re: posting, I can't speak for perlick but I post plenty. Just not here. Anything at the cafe is on my phone, which sucks. I usually check in every couple months and when I look at your big conversation with yourself I usually come away infuriated by either the superiority complex that oozes out of you (although I should maybe give you a break for that because it appears to just come with any Barca association) or your recaps (where I often wonder if you've even watched some of the games you write about). But whatevs. Enjoy your own little delusional world. Have a wonderful Flopfest (I mean Clasico) weekend.

Up the Chels! #ktbffh

Bingo. This thread is mostly a shlock-fest for Manchester United, so I waited my turn for someone else to do something positive before posting. I don't post around here much anymore these days, that'll happen when you do 80 hours a week trying to launch a WWE exclusive television network. You'd better believe though that if Chelsea are so fortunate to pull off a double this season, that pics and vids will follow. Cheers.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I usually check in every couple months and when I look at your big conversation with yourself I usually come away infuriated by either the superiority complex that oozes out of you

This is the part where I should post a trollface, but I'm not one to.

Superiority complexes are relative and you don't check through this thread that often, probably missing on the occasions where I post stuff on other things other than Man United, Barcelona, Premier League, and La Liga. Most weekends I have only time to watch United, Barca, and games in England and Spain, and sometimes, Italy. I've missed more Bundesliga games than I've wanted because United were on. Plus, I tend to think that whoever reads this thread is more interested in goings-on in the Premier League. Personally, I've never wanted a football thread but it's here, and I don't really mind if it's just my personal football diary. :-b So, I don't really care what your sentiment is about this thread when you don't see it that often. As far as I'm concerned, I don't have to be politically correct; talking about sport is not a morality play.

Back to football, I don't think it's delusional to believe Chelsea can't keep a clean sheet, based on account of last night. On the other hand, I didn't say Chelsea can't score in the second leg either because Drogba can cause problems and Barca can't deal with long balls very well. I acknowledged that it's a tricky tie for Barca, but if they give 75% possession away, it's reasonable to think the numbers game in chances will be in Barca's favor.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm

perlick29 wrote:Bingo. This thread is mostly a shlock-fest for Manchester United, so I waited my turn for someone else to do something positive before posting. I don't post around here much anymore these days, that'll happen when you do 80 hours a week trying to launch a WWE exclusive television network. You'd better believe though that if Chelsea are so fortunate to pull off a double this season, that pics and vids will follow. Cheers.

I work 80 hours a week managing three businesses and still post. In fact, it's the only thing I check up on the Cafe these days.

I don't really feel the need to explain about the post when you're winning bit to be a harmless jab. You and BP are no fun to banter with. :-/
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 pm

wait... you guys have jobs too?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)